: Revised alignment specs

dwheeler
04-07-06, 06:45 PM
I'm one of the lucky 97 owners. I saw consumer guide mention that there was a revised spec for alignment. Does anyone have this or can point me to it? After 150K miles and every set of tires in the front prematurely wearing on the inside edges, I'm getting a little tired of the shop telling me that things are within spec.

guardian
04-07-06, 07:48 PM
There is extensive, exhaustive, posting on this in the Yahoo Catera group. There may be important information here, as well, in the archives.

You gotta search. It takes time but it's cheaper than buying tires constantly.:)

I'm working from memory here. It's been a while since i looked at this matter, which you should research for yourself.

However:

I seem to recall Cadillac issued a third alignment spec and then rescinded it, falling back to the second revision.

This is a somewhat confused, problematic realm. If you have a Yahoo username and password say so and I'll post a link or two for you. Do not post your username or password here, just say if you have them. Without Yahoo access, you cannot see the information there or access any links I might provide you.

dwheeler
04-07-06, 08:09 PM
Yes, my profile has a yahoo email account set.

guardian
04-07-06, 08:30 PM
Yes, my profile has a yahoo email account set.

Good. Than makes helping you VASTLY easier.:)

OK, all three alignment specs are on the same page, just scroll down to see the entry points:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/CateraOwners/files/Cadillac%20Catera%20TSB%20%26%20Service%20Files/

Let us know if there are additional questions after you read through all that.

You can access the above link using the same username and password you use for your mail. That's what I do.

Good luck!:)

guardian
04-07-06, 08:35 PM
Oops, sorry.

There are at least FIVE separate documents there which relate to wheel alignment. i missed the last two in my haste.

You are just going to have to poke around and read all that stuff.

dwheeler
04-09-06, 01:00 AM
Thanks. I'll tell them it's a 99 this time around.

investor74
04-09-06, 11:02 PM
I took my car to Sears and they seem to have the correct specs in their database. I brought my '97 in two months ago for new tires, and got an alignment. They looked at the wear on the inside of the old right front tire, which I hadn't rotated in a while and said that it was out of spec and that is why it wore on the inside.

I had brought the car in to a Caddy dealer two sets of tires ago with wear on the left front tire. They brought the left tire into the current specs (I looked at my service order), but incredibly, they didn't align the right front. So I wore tires on the right front. Thanks, Caddy dealer.

Anyway, I really like the Khumo Solus tires I just bought. Very smooth, quiet, and good handling. I don't seem to get more than about 27K or so per set - I think this is due to the weight of the car. But new tires make the car seem new and are worth it. So much of a car's handling, safety, ride, looks, and overall enjoyment depend on tires, that I just won't try to stretch another 5K out of old tires any more.

Barry
''97 Green Catera 82K.