: Anyone know a reputable transmission shop in Orlando?

danbuc
04-07-06, 02:59 PM
My tranny is whining bad and s pretty much on it's way out it seems. The dealer who flushed it 2k miles ago doesn't seem to give a rats ass, and wants me to buy a $3900 transmission. I can't afford $3900 for a reman transmission, and I need to get this fixed. I have to drive 1100 miles back home to New Jersey with thsi car in 3 weeks, and I don't wanna take the chance that it won't make it.If anyone knows any reputable tranmission shop or independant shops in the Orlando area (the kind of shop you'd take your own vehicle for service too) that would be great. I really need to know soon, cause I'm running out of time. If I can't get this fixed, I'm probably gonna have to sell it, and that I just can't deal with right now. Any help is greatly appreciated...thanks.

eldorado1
04-07-06, 03:46 PM
Don't know the place well enough to recommend any shops, sorry. If you do think you might sell it, let me know, I might be interested. I just got a line of credit through paypal, so I'm rich. :thumbsup: Well, comparatively rich anyways... I'm still broke LOL :bouncy:

danbuc
04-07-06, 04:09 PM
You know if I can't get this fixed I might just end up selling it. Question is, I really don't know what it's worth to be honest. I would like to fix it, but if it's going to cost half of what the car is worth, then it's just not the logical thing to do. Hopefully I get it fixed but if not, I'll keep you in mind. If I do sell it, I'll probably be looking for a low mileage 1995/6 Black Fleetwood Brougham. I'll have to see how things workout.

parts68
04-07-06, 05:46 PM
Are you stuck on a reman or"rebuilt" trans?
Do you know what ratio yours is?
I may be able to help out.

danbuc
04-07-06, 06:45 PM
It's the 3.71:1 final drive ratio (Vin 9). I'd liek to go with a reman but it's alot more than I can afford right now....hell, a rebuild is more than I can afford right now. As it stands right now though, it seems that it will last until I get home. At which point, I will take the new warranty that my stepfather just got for my car (he's got it for his Yukon) and get the work done through them back home.

parts68
04-07-06, 07:41 PM
Bring it by and Ill scan the trans while driving it.
Ive got a nice 99 3.71 ratio ready to install.
Was saving it for one of the 95s but if the need arises.

acklac7
04-07-06, 09:14 PM
As I recall the whine was diagnosed as an alternator problem...What's changed since then to make you things it's the trans.???

acklac7
04-07-06, 09:19 PM
Never mind...Saw your other post and answerd my own question....BTW what did the dealership say about "flushing" and it damaging your trans???

danbuc
04-08-06, 12:02 AM
The tech I spoke with (who was a complete douchebag btw) said that's there's absolutely no way that "their" flush machine could have ever damaged the transmission. He said that he gets customers like me who "say that they caused a cell to go bad in their battery after an oil change" or some s**t like that. It's all complete bulls**t, since I am not that type of customer. You'd think he'd pay a little more attention to me after I showed him the diagram of the transmission directly out of the 1998 Seville Factory Service Manual. Obviously, he just didn't care. He had never looked at my car, and refused to look at it when I asked him if he wanted to, just to hear the noise. In short, he was a complete a**hole about the whole thing. It's crap like this, that makes me happy GM might be forced to file bankrupcy. Maybe it'll teach them a f**kin' lesson, and they'll get their damn act together. AS soon as I get back home to NJ, I'm selling the car, and purchasing a low mileage '96 Fleetwood Brougham if I can find one. That way, I can do the damn work myself, or simply take it to the closest independent shop that has experience with SBC's. I'm sick of all this dealer crap, since ALL GM dealers suck when it comes to customer service.

parts68, I might need that tranny afterall. It isn't throwing any codes as of yet, but that doesn't mean it isn't dying. Let me know where I can reach you by PM. I'd like to get it taken care of before I head back home if I can. I appreciate any help you can give me. I need to be able to sell the car when I get back home.

parts68
04-08-06, 12:50 AM
PM me with a number and name

1993 eldorado green1
04-08-06, 02:52 AM
The tech I spoke with (who was a complete douchebag btw) said that's there's absolutely no way that "their" flush machine could have ever damaged the transmission. He said that he gets customers like me who "say that they caused a cell to go bad in their battery after an oil change" or some s**t like that. It's all complete bulls**t, since I am not that type of customer. You'd think he'd pay a little more attention to me after I showed him the diagram of the transmission directly out of the 1998 Seville Factory Service Manual. Obviously, he just didn't care. He had never looked at my car, and refused to look at it when I asked him if he wanted to, just to hear the noise. In short, he was a complete a**hole about the whole thing. It's crap like this, that makes me happy GM might be forced to file bankrupcy. Maybe it'll teach them a f**kin' lesson, and they'll get their damn act together. AS soon as I get back home to NJ, I'm selling the car, and purchasing a low mileage '96 Fleetwood Brougham if I can find one. That way, I can do the damn work myself, or simply take it to the closest independent shop that has experience with SBC's. I'm sick of all this dealer crap, since ALL GM dealers suck when it comes to customer service.

parts68, I might need that tranny afterall. It isn't throwing any codes as of yet, but that doesn't mean it isn't dying. Let me know where I can reach you by PM. I'd like to get it taken care of before I head back home if I can. I appreciate any help you can give me. I need to be able to sell the car when I get back home.

true but the fleetwoods have an lt1 motor and to be honest, after my z28's that i have owned i would rather deal with the northstar. remember, that opti spark ignition they have is called "opti-crap" for a reason. 500.00 for 1 and ive seen guys go through almost 1 a year! f*** that i was happy to get rid of that nonsense.

at least youll still be driving a cadillac though..

danbuc
04-08-06, 11:15 AM
Hehe..Yeah, I know all abotu the Opti-Spark system. As soon as I get it, it's getting replaced by soemthing better, like an MSD system. Plus, the LT1 is infinitely easier to work on than the Northstar. Also, mods are cheap as hell, and so is basic maintenance. It's RWD too, which is great, since I never really liked FWD drive cars to begin with.

I can also find one in real nice condition with relatively low mileage (i.e. 75-85k) for less than what my STS is worth right now, so it's just seems liek the logical route to go. I was contemplating getting an 96 Impala as my next car, and the Fleetwood is basically a stretched Impala more or less. Same drivetrain and everything, and much cheaper in compared to the Impala.

edit: parts68, clear your pm box....

auroradude
04-08-06, 02:38 PM
Hey dan what about this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-03-4T80E-Automatic-Transmission-Oldsmobile-Aurora_W0QQitemZ8054291248QQcategoryZ33727QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#Q&A

If my trans blew I'd take a look at these guys possibly, and get the 48,000 warranty from em. This is like half the price of a jasper unit.

danbuc
04-09-06, 02:31 AM
Update: I ordered two new AC Delco pickup filter screens today, and I'll have them by Tuesday. Wednesday afternoon I'm dropping the pan and replacing them. All the noise, and eveyrhting I've heard points directly to the two filter screens being dirty or clogged. I rechecked the fluid level and condition today and upon closer inspection, the fluid does appear to be darkesh red, with no particulates and does smell like tranny fluid. Upon removing the dip stick cap with the engine running I also notice bubbles on the surface of the fluid. I know that cavitation in the pump can cause aeration of the fluid. The service manual also states that the first items to check for the cause of aerated fluid are the two filter screens int he pan. Hmmm.....coincidence? I think not. When I spoke with the parts guy at the Chevy dealer where I ordered the parts form, he mentioned that alot of techs will flush the tranny, nad not realize that they've got to change the filters too, or they just don't care. As soon as I mention the previous flush, and the parts I need, he knew exactly what I was talking about.

On a side note, when I drop the pan, I'll be draining all the fluid out the bottom, and out of the side dry sump compartment. I know this will not remove all the fluid since a good deal is still held in the torque converter. What I want to know is how much fluid will I need to replenish the tranmsission with the right amount? I'm not entirely sure exactly how much is left in there, and I don't want to over fill it. If this fixes my problem, than I won't need a tranny afterall. As of right now, aside form the whine, the transmission iself is working fine. Nice smooth shifts and all. It's only going to get worse though as time goes on, so hopefully this does the trick.

parts68
04-09-06, 10:01 AM
I serously doubt you will find clogged screens
maybe one has worked loose and is pulling air
Screens are easy to clean with a can of brakekleen
you will most likely need about 8 qts.
If you just did a flush why change fluid in upper pan?
You can/may strip out the threads on the upper drain.
Full capacity is about 15 qts.
this is a very messy job ,pan doesnt have a drain plug.

danbuc
04-09-06, 01:10 PM
I've decided to go ahead and change the filters screen as a precautionary measure. AT this point I can't afford to be too careful, so I figured why not change them anyway, they are cheap and relatively easy to install. As for the flush, I may have just had it done, but it certainly didn't do nay good. I'm going to drain as much of the current fluid out of the tranny as I can, including the side sump. I have never heard of anyone who has done this stripping the draion bolt on the side sump. I know there is no drain plug on the the pan too. I'll have the car up on a lift, and a large fluid catch container unerneath with plenty of area to cover the pan. I'm not worried about it being messy. In the case that one has worked itself loose (which is definitely possible and would display the same symptoms) that I will still replace them with the new ones. At this point, I'm better off just forgetting that they ever flushed it and draining and refillign it myself. I haven't heard any bad experiences with this methods from anyone here who has done it, and everyone seems to recommend this as the preffered method for the 4T80E.

Zorb750
04-09-06, 02:33 PM
I made the service advisor the last time I dealt with a dealer SIGN a note saying they would do a drain+fill+filter, not a flush, acknowledging that the procedures are not identical, and are not equivalent, taking responsibility for any transmission problems that could have been caused by this.

I also spoke to the mechanic whose name was on the sheet, asked him the same questions, with tape recorder in pocket. I also demanded the original filter from the transmission.

It turned out that they did what I wanted anyway, so all was fine.

cl1986
04-15-06, 12:07 AM
Another flush then trans problem....

DONT FLUSH YOUR TRANNY!!!!

danbuc
04-15-06, 12:51 AM
I didn't ask for a flush. I asked them to drain anf replace the fluid and change the two filter screens.....whcih of course they didn't pay any attention to liek a bunch of f**kin' idiots.

Anyway...this tranny is pretty much done for. It slips in all gear when shifting above 3200 or so rpm. The pump just can't keep up with the fluid and pressure demands of the clutch packs. I'm babying it now trying not to shift above 25-2800rpm if I can help it. It just need to last me till I get home. By the time I get home, the warranty I'm getting on it should have gone through, and I'll be able to get a new trans for it. The filters that came out of the car the other day when I changed them were pretty f**ked up so to speak. They definitely weren't helping to the situation to say the least. The car will hold a gear in lower rpm's since the load on the transmission is much lower, so it still cruises on the highway fine as long as I don't have to drop more than 1 gear, because it's not going to like that very much. Ehhh....whatever. I'll get back home, and then I'll get it straightened out. I'll have that new tranny in no time.

auroradude
04-15-06, 01:08 AM
Why dont you just rent a car until you are ready to drive home? Im gonna rent a car every month when im 21.

danbuc
04-15-06, 01:58 AM
It's really not worth it for me to rent a car for a week and a half. It would cost too much. Now that I'm getting this warranty straightened out, I can afford to drive it till it dies. AS long as I don't beat on it, and baby it around town, it will last me till I get home, and that's all I care abotu right now. After I get home, it's getting a new tranny. Also, I don't have the money to rent a car right now, plus I'm not 21 yet. I turn 21 like two days after I get back home on May 3rd. By then, the warranty should be in place along with the required 1000 miles to needed to start it (it's about an 1100 mile drive back home). Then it's just a matter of calling around and finding a place tog et the work done. For right now, I really only need the car down here to drive 3 mile to school and 3 miles back to my apartment. Any other stuff is secondary, plus I can just pull some favors with friedns, who owe me for driving them around all the time and crap.

auroradude
04-15-06, 10:58 AM
OH..ok. Well maybe you would if you didnt spend $1000 on that corsa. Just kidding. Anyway, wow you have some faith in that thing to drive it 1000+ miles home with a tranny about blown. I say good luck to ya...your gonna need it. What if you have to drive in 2nd gear...LOL Is home in WC btw? If you ever sell that thing i want to know.

Have fun with the legal drinking age thing soon too, must be nice I cant wait for that day.

HEY, if that thing has a warranty now supposedly, how many miles are on that car? It has to be under 100,000 right? If it is thats crazy low life for that tranny unless you kicked its ass everyday

cl1986
04-15-06, 11:22 AM
You really want to be 25 to rent a car anyway.....i found that out the first time i went to FL....after i was 25 it cost me $110 to rent a car for a whole week, you cant beat that!!!

danbuc
04-15-06, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I've got some serious faith in her, I know she'll make it back home. She won't like it, but she'll make it. It's got just over 92k miles on the clock. It's only eligible for the warranty thing until 100k so I'm trying to get it done as soon as possible. I've got a few other issues with the car I need to get worked out too, but they'll have to wait until I get the new trans sorted out. I originally bought the car 3 years ago with just over 45k miles on it. I drove the car really hard up until 89k and I never had a single issue with the trans, it worked perfectly. At this point in time (about a month and a half ago now) I took it to the dealer, who ended up flushing my trans (instead of just draining and refilling like I asked) and not replacing the pickup screens and what not. Ever since then, it's been downhill. That's the reason why I do most of the work on this car myself if I have the time and space to do it.

As for renting and such, 25 is how old you have to be even to get a loaner car down here to apparently. When the same dealer who flushed my trans damaged my quarter panel a few months ago, they wanted me to leave it overnight so the body guy could start on it right away the next moring. They could get a me a loaner because their loaner cars are done through Hertz, who wouldn't touch me being only 20 and such. Maybe when I'm 21 they might consider it.

cl1986
04-15-06, 09:14 PM
Oh, shit, i didnt even see you were in orlando, thats were weve been going for the past 6 years.....

danbuc
04-16-06, 02:32 AM
Not for long, I'm moving out the 26th.