: Brokedown, but still tough.

ShadowLvr400
04-07-06, 11:46 AM
Caddy quit on me last night, right as I was cutting some donuts after work... at work. :) I lost power steering and the battery charge light came on. I cruised over to the nearby gas station, not hinting to the 2 import fans that there might be anything wrong. Pop the hood to see.... My belt had slid off. Weak. Luckily I had a brand new belt sitting in the trunk. Sadly, no tools. So I fired the car back up, and drove about 6 or 7 miles down to the 24 hr autozone. Who no longer loans parts. However, there were several other vehicles doing some repairs in the lot. A few of them had the tools, and jumped onto my quick repair. Then we moved to the next car. Cost me my main dinner of leftovers, but I count it worth it. That tensioner's a pain to move. But, she's back up to 100% now. The old belt was worn, still serviceable, and going to keep it as an emergency replacement. I'm thankful for a cam driven water pump though.

DopeStar 156
04-07-06, 11:53 AM
Gotta love those field repairs. I got extra belts for everything in my trunk.

caddycruiser
04-07-06, 11:56 AM
Good job:thumbsup:

That's the one thing bad in my case...I have a good idea and background in most mechanical matters, but if something were to happen out on the road, my "fix it" abilities are seriously lacking.

My father is the BEST when it comes to fixing stuff on the fly, and anywhere it happens (once ran his '79 GMC van with a 20oz. Diet Pepsi bottle of gas hanging from the rearview mirror, and a hose going down to the engine), but I'm next to useless:rolleyes:

I seriously need to work on being prepared and able...

The Ape Man
04-08-06, 02:31 PM
Once a fan belt flies off it isn't suitable as a spare. Get another new belt for a running spare.

ShadowLvr400
04-09-06, 04:03 AM
Wasnt a fan belt, was the serpentine. Also, power steering is still cutting out some lately. Mostly on idle or low speed. Driving highway its fine...

The Ape Man
04-09-06, 10:17 AM
Yup serpentine belt. It's still a fan belt and it will still fly off any time after it's jumped off once.
There are about 3 regular posters on here who have been through the power steering thing. Maybe start a new thread.

ShadowLvr400
04-09-06, 11:56 AM
Cept the serpentine on there now is a new belt. Not the old one.

Big_Blue
04-10-06, 12:29 AM
Caddy quit on me last night, right as I was cutting some donuts after work.

You do know you have a caddy right? Why dog it when its suppose to be enjoyed. Use a heavy chevy for abuse

davesdeville
04-10-06, 02:00 AM
You do know you have a caddy right? Why dog it when its suppose to be enjoyed. Use a heavy chevy for abuse

Yes, exactly. Only old people should drive Caddys, you should never go above about half throttle especially with a N*, always change the oil every 3k, etc...

ShadowLvr400
04-10-06, 02:25 AM
She's no Northstar... LT1 350 under my hood. And never above half throttle?.... My Eldo would smack you for that. She was happy at WOT.

eldorado99
04-10-06, 02:33 AM
I drive a '70 and the only time it sees over a 1/4 throttle is in emergencies or merging onto the freeway. I may be 17 but I know my Caddy needs to be slooooow and smooooth. As for the roadside repairs, I confess I am lacking in that department, but my dad one time used a shoe string for a belt and managed to limp to a gas station back in his day. The closest I can come to that is having to use my Swiss Army knife saw to cut away the plastic shroud on my Ford LTD that got bend upwards and was hitting the fan when I did some stupid stuff with it.

ShadowLvr400
04-10-06, 09:03 AM
Right now, trying to find out more on this power steering issue. She's a bit low on fluid, though I doubt it'd be something that simple. It's at low revs that the steering quits mostly. Just 1 more day of work in Orlando, then it'll all be local.

caddydaddy
04-10-06, 12:52 PM

The Fleetwood Brougham WAS a heavy Chevy! :thepan:

91sdv
04-11-06, 03:55 PM
Always replace the old belt with a new one.Turning donuts !?!? CADILLAC IS THE "MARK OF EXCELLENCE," not stock car racing.Treat your baby right, she'll get you home every time.:thepan:

davesdeville
04-12-06, 02:29 AM
She's no Northstar... LT1 350 under my hood. And never above half throttle?.... My Eldo would smack you for that. She was happy at WOT.

I was being sarcastic. Hell I've posted a vid of me autocrossing the ETC. :)

ShadowLvr400
04-12-06, 09:21 AM
I remember autocrossing my old Eldo... I miss that car still... Especially since I've nearly totally lost power steering on the Fleetwood. Makes for a difficult drive. Guess I'll need to replace the pump and pulley.

Benzilla
04-13-06, 01:07 AM
slightly off topic but, I burned rubber from a stoplight for three whole seconds today in my '90 Brougham with a 350...I love that car :)

BCs71
04-13-06, 04:52 PM
Right now, trying to find out more on this power steering issue. She's a bit low on fluid, though I doubt it'd be something that simple. It's at low revs that the steering quits mostly. Just 1 more day of work in Orlando, then it'll all be local.

The LT1 cars (B-bodies) are notorious for tossing the belt during donuts. I've read that and seen it in person a few times.

They are also notorious for eating up pow steering pumps. :mad: Hopefully you can do a full flush of your fluid and she'll be ok.

ShadowLvr400
04-14-06, 12:09 PM
I didn't know they ate up pumps. Ah well. Hunting for one on ebay...