: New Purchase

80Coupe
04-07-06, 09:26 AM
Hey Guys, new to the forum and new to being a Cadillac owner. I have just purchased a 1980 Coupe DeVille from an elderly neighbor of my parents. Its been sitting for the past 8 years in the garage, so it was covered in dust. I am taking it to have my mechanic give it a total once over and change all the fluids and belts and hoses. The color of it I am not sure, at first I thought it was a powder blue, but in the light its a dove grey maybe?? It has a grey landau top so I need to look somewhere on the car for the color code. So my question for you guys is, is there anything specific that I should focus on in terms of the weakest link of the car??? Any known problems that you guys know of?? Thanks for all your input, and I can't wait to be an active participant of the group and represent ATL.

N0DIH
04-07-06, 10:33 PM
Welcome and Congrats on your purchase! I would love to find one like that!

As you are starting on, replace all hoses and fluids and belts to start, likely tires too. Get an FSM, http://www.helm-inc.com, well worth the investment. Probably do all the 30K mile services, that should cover most things pretty well.

I would repack the front wheel bearings, change rear end oil, possibly brakes too. Bushings may be awfully hard, so there is something else that might be in the works. Take that as an as needed, not to replace just to replace unless you have tons of money that you have nothing to do with...

80Coupe
04-08-06, 10:26 AM
Thanks for all your info. I am planning on doing most of what you said almost immediately. The only problem that the car had was a bad rear bearing. It was making a noise when driven so that is being replaced immediately as well as the brakes.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-08-06, 11:12 AM
Pics!

80Coupe
04-08-06, 04:51 PM
Here is a few that I snapped when I first found her in the garage.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-08-06, 06:17 PM
Ooohhh! Thats very nice!

N0DIH
04-10-06, 12:53 PM
Nice!

MikeyTrees
04-10-06, 07:27 PM
Looks really nice. Yeah anything plastic in the coolant system would be good idea. These are probably dealer parts only. They may look fine when the engine is cool but when they get hot enough, snap. They will be brittle after 8 yrs, and that will put you on the side of the road looking for a hard to find part. Nice ride, good luck with it. :D

80Coupe
04-11-06, 12:37 PM
Ok guys, from your experience, I need to change out some of the cracked and broken plastic pieces (1 tailfin and 1 front side piece). Can you give me a recommendation on getting these in either fiberglass or the ABS plastic ones??? And how hard is installation of these pieces?? I know I will have to have them painted to match the car. Thanks for the info.