: 95 Fleetwood Brougham 5.7 engine warning

Rob Benham
04-07-06, 01:09 AM
Just got a ‘new' 95 Fleetwood Brougham 5.7

It seems that the owner had good maintenance judging by the bills, but while on a long drive home the engine symbol lit up.

Can anyone give me some clue as to what this could be indicating. I'm okay with my SLS, got a list of codes printed out thanks to this forum, but this car is so different.

Thanks, Rob.

caddycruiser
04-07-06, 07:19 AM
Uh, did you pull the codes? It's just like on some Sevilles and Devilles, but follow these instructions:

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/cfb-tech.html#diag

A check engine light can come on for about a million reasons, so you'll have to at least do this and post the codes you get back here (or just look them up on that chart that is provided with the instructions), so we can help.

Rob Benham
04-07-06, 11:18 AM
Thanks for that link...looks like a good 'un.

For some reason i thought that this car would not reveal its inner workings to the layman. will pull them saspo. Rob

caddycruiser
04-07-06, 11:58 AM
Thanks for that link...looks like a good 'un.

For some reason i thought that this car would not reveal its inner workings to the layman. will pull them saspo. Rob

Yeah, just like any car, the Check Engine light can mean just about anything, so you have to do a little more digging before you can even begin to find the answer.

And pulling the codes is the FIRST thing you should always do. It's one of the great things about these cars, for sure--that it can be done so quickly and easily with no special tools.

JCM1
04-07-06, 06:44 PM
Shot in the dark, O2 sensor. Usually most common problem that will set off the Check Engine light.

N0DIH
04-07-06, 11:28 PM
But remember, 9 times out of 10, if an O2 sensor fault occurs, it is NOT the sensor!!! Do not replace blindly.

ocjmakaveli
04-08-06, 09:37 AM
But remember, 9 times out of 10, if an O2 sensor fault occurs, it is NOT the sensor!!! Do not replace blindly.

Oops I always replace blindly.......on the caddy it was the problem but on our suburban last year it turned out to be the fuel pump causing a lean condition.

What I've seen is an out of range sensor is usually a faulty sensor but a sensor indicating a lean or rich condition.......is not the sensor but an actual fault within the rest of the engine.

Usually I go ahead and replace them regardless because of fuel economy and they are relatively cheap.

Rob Benham
04-11-06, 01:02 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Rob Benham
04-11-06, 01:03 AM
We have put the car to one side until we get the documents, but it's worth mentioning that on the run home (316 miles) it turned out 20 mpg...with the A/C on.

My 94 SLS almost always does 27 on the same run, so I guess that's about right. Rob.

caddycruiser
04-11-06, 06:27 AM
So, were there any codes, or no???