: 93 Northstar dies out at idle

BSexton
04-06-06, 10:30 PM
I have a 1993 STS with 167000 miles on that I put a new Fuel Pressure regulator in about 2000 miles ago. Everything was running great till last week. Then I started the car after being warmed up and went about 100 feet before it died out. The car acted as it was flooded and it
started after I let it sit for 10 minutes. Now when I am driving after a while it seems like the engines RPMs rev wild and act like its going to die out. It wont die until I come to a stop. Some times it will start right up and sometimes I have to let it sit. It cranks fine but doesnt start right up every time.
bill

Ranger
04-06-06, 10:37 PM
Sounds like a bad ISC (idle speed control) motor.

BSexton
04-07-06, 08:05 AM
I have replaced the ISC about 6 months ago. Could it be anything else?
Thanks, Bill

Ranger
04-07-06, 11:56 AM
Have you checked for any stored DTC's?

eurumbaev
04-07-06, 03:33 PM
This really sounds like a bad Ignition Control Module. Check for code P083. I had this problem. The car would be slow to start, it would crank for a while before it would start. It would stall out of nowhere, but then would start right up. I changed both crank shaft position sensors to no avail, then replaced the ICM and it fixed it right up, now car starts on the dot, and never stalls. Another strange simptom it had was that the ICM was heat sensitive. On a cold morning the car would start right up and won't give the P083 code, but then once it warmed up it was back to acting up. I got an ICM(the whole unit with the ignition coil) for $90 at a junk yard and it was really easy to replace. just make sure you put the spark plug cables back on correctly. Hope this helps. It sure wouldn't hurt to replace the ICM anyway. By the way I have a '94 Eldorado with 165,000 on it, similar to your milage.

eldorado1
04-07-06, 04:56 PM
Another strange simptom it had was that the ICM was heat sensitive.

That would have been my comment. In other cars when the car likes to die only when warm, it's the ignition module.

BSexton
04-07-06, 08:22 PM
the codes I read are all history P032 P034 P071 and P095. I had the Map sensor replaced a few months ago. Could these codes be from before that or should they have cleared by now and I have a new problem with MAP sensor?
Thanks for your help

Ranger
04-07-06, 08:36 PM
The codes go into history after 3 ignition cycles with no fault detected. After 50 ignition cycles with no fault detected, they get cleared. Clear them yourself, and see if they return. Then you'll know what you are working with.

BSexton
05-01-06, 07:29 PM
I went to a shop that said they were 70% sure that i had a bad computer and they could replace it for $400. I bought one from a junkyard for $95 and installed it myself. Car ran for a while and started throwing codes for a bad map sensor. I replaced the 6 month old sensor with a new one and car has been running fine so far. I wish I was more than just a parts changer, but I feel that thanks to this board's help I was able to get my car going again for less than my local shop was going to charge me.
Thanks

Ranger
05-01-06, 09:00 PM
Parts changer or not, your still money ahead.

packrat427
05-02-06, 06:03 PM
Sounds like mine ,same symptoms ,it has been the map sensor every time ,they fail @ 6 months , Dealer and the Engineers that they talked to says it is blowby causing it to fail , I am still finding it hard to believe it.
My car is still at the dealer for this :mad: Each one has been under warranty until now

BSexton
05-03-06, 10:59 PM
Packrat, you are the first person to mention blowby and the map sensor, but when I looked at my map sensor that had recently replaced there was a fine film of oil on it, as from blowby. I checked the PCV valve and it was fine. I think there maybe a problem with blowby screwing up these map sensors. 6 months seems to be about the time I had my sensor replaced. I hope I dont have to replace one every 6 months

packrat427
05-03-06, 11:39 PM
Bill . I just had #6 done today ,the first one I paid for like 3 years ago,2 thru 5 were under warranty ,because the dealed thought they were defective , now #6 was not under warranty because they said now they know what is causing it , It will be the last one I have done @ the dealer ,I will do the next one ,or it will be relocated ,or I will have it decarbonized before it has a chance.:)

Loose screw
05-05-06, 01:31 PM
It may be possible to put a filter inline to the map to catch the oil and blowby - a large fuel filter could even be located outside the engine (or under the intake) and hoses run to it - this would allow for an easy filter change if needed in the future. But I would free up the rings too - of course.

Bill Harrison
06-10-06, 12:29 PM
This really sounds like a bad Ignition Control Module. Check for code P083. I had this problem. The car would be slow to start, it would crank for a while before it would start. It would stall out of nowhere, but then would start right up. I changed both crank shaft position sensors to no avail, then replaced the ICM and it fixed it right up, now car starts on the dot, and never stalls. Another strange simptom it had was that the ICM was heat sensitive. On a cold morning the car would start right up and won't give the P083 code, but then once it warmed up it was back to acting up. I got an ICM(the whole unit with the ignition coil) for $90 at a junk yard and it was really easy to replace. just make sure you put the spark plug cables back on correctly. Hope this helps. It sure wouldn't hurt to replace the ICM anyway. By the way I have a '94 Eldorado with 165,000 on it, similar to your milage.

Well I have a 1997 deville and it just dies at idle, watch the rpm's and they slowly decrease
and then it's as if you turn off the key, engine stall code set,p1599 history codes b0533,
b1552 & b1983 power seat issue duh like i need a computer to tell me that but starts back
up fine seems to do it more the longer it has been being driven (more than 30min) changed
the iac to no avail I have heard throttle position sensors might not set a code on a 1997
deville, so how do I know if it is the throttle position sensor or the Ignition module @ $300.00
I don't want to change it if that is not the demon. Any other ideas? The throttle body has
been cleaned