: A Few Questions....

DopeStar 156
04-06-06, 08:06 PM
Some thoughts that have crossed my mind about doing some modifications to my car....

1. Fully dropping the rear windows. I want that to happen, I don't like the way they're half up when I drop them. I want to make them go down all the way. Anyone know how I could do this?

2. Newer cars when you close the door the interior lights fade instead of just go out. How cool would it be if my Fleetwood could do that? Any way to make the interior lights fade out instead of just going out?

3. The FWD cars had express down driver's side windows. What about me? Anyway for me to make my driver's side window express down?

My my, I'm gonna have me one bad ass car if I could make all these things happen.... Any help would be appreciated!

sizanjdf
04-06-06, 08:56 PM
I beilieve the window wont roll all the way down because there is no clearance inside the door because of the fender wells placement

Night Wolf
04-06-06, 09:00 PM
1) can't/very difficult to do that... clearance and track problems

2) its only a resistor

3) They can be put on any car, any window, even up.... Dave did a write up about it, I don't know the exacts off hand.

DopeStar 156
04-06-06, 09:02 PM
Mmmm you sure? It looks like it clears just fine to me....

DopeStar 156
04-06-06, 09:04 PM
1) can't/very difficult to do that... clearance and track problems

2) its only a resistor

3) They can be put on any car, any window, even up.... Dave did a write up about it, I don't know the exacts off hand.
Ok, well forget about the back windows then... Where would I get a light fade risistor and an express down window? Can you tell me how that would work?

N0DIH
04-06-06, 10:09 PM
The 94-96 FW's got express down winders. MB S500 gets it on all 4! And Express UP on the drivers and possibly the passenger front windows!

And not just trunk pull downs, they get door closers that work the same way. Slick! No half latched doors for a S500!

DopeStar 156
04-06-06, 10:35 PM
Express up just sounds dangerous..... That's how you eliminate someone's hand or head....

So I could take exactly what out of a 94-96 Fleetwood to make my window express down? My Malibu has the express down window and I love it, I want my Caddy to do it too.

N0DIH
04-06-06, 11:09 PM
They stop, they are intelligent windows for the express up

Night Wolf
04-07-06, 03:05 PM
Not like the windoe motor has enough power to cut your hand off.

All GM cars IIRC use the same system... the little modules in the doors for express down.

N0DIH
04-07-06, 03:45 PM
I messed with it, as soon as there is more than about 8-16 oz of pressure tops, it reverses.

brougham
04-07-06, 05:08 PM
Like Night Wolf said DaveSmed posted something about express down windows before. Do a search or look in the front wheel drive area and you can probably find it. It shouldn't be too hard to just grab whatever part makes the interior lights dim like that from a car that has it and wire it into your car but the only problem is a lot of the cars that have it aren't luxury cars and don't have as many lights so it might not have enough power to make all the lights work properly.

DaveSmed
04-07-06, 11:27 PM
That fade thing is a neat project, I think late model Cavalier/Sunfires had it, and they used a seperate standalone module for that stuff. Can anyone say for certain that they do have the fade to off feature? If so, those cars are plentiful in the junkyard, and the module should be an easy retrofit. (you'll also gain battery rundown protection too!)

The windows are easy, you can make all four one touch down.You could make it one touch up like mentioned, but that would certainly leave one hell of a mark if your hand is in it. The module senses current, as it knows when the window reaches the bottom of its travel, current draw increases considerably (thats why the lights dim when you try to roll down a window thats already down) So, if wired "backwards", it would continue applying force until the current draw exceeded the threshold (too high for "safe" operation... maybe a drivers door only feature) and once it reaches the threshold, it would simply stop instead of reversing, trapping you in the window. Maybe not a good idea on any door where theres a remote switch on a different door to control it. (Dont want your friends hand out of the window when you go to roll it up with your switch...) Dope, go play with your dad's GT for a sec, that has express up windows designed for the application. I can get them to change direction with one finger in the way.

As far as the travel of the rear windows? Hell if I know. Need to see one with the doorpanel off. I'll keep an eye out next time i'm at the junkyard, see if I can come up with anything.

DopeStar 156
04-08-06, 12:21 AM
Thanks Dave, I'll look into it. My Malibu has express down driver's window but that one works with how much pressure is applied to the button. If I lightly press the down window button it will go down normally, If I fully press down it will express. I'm only interested in an express down driver's side window on my Caddy. My Malibu also has the light fade thing as well. I'll check most late model GM cars in junkyards for the parts for that.

Does anyone know where the express down window module is located? Also what it looks like? Same with the fade out thing for the interior lights?

DaveSmed
04-08-06, 01:56 AM
For the express down module, look for FWD Cads to 93, and other early-mid 90's higher end GM cars. Yank off the door panel and look for a heavy gauge bright pink wire coming from the window switches. There will be a splice somewhere off to a black box about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It has four wires coming from it, all fairly heavy gauge. Thats what you want. Grab one per window you want to convert.

For the fade to off thing, locations vary widely. Some cars integrate it into the BCM too.

Adam
04-08-06, 12:13 PM
The 94-96 FW's got express down winders.

uh my 93 had express down windows. now my CTS has express up and down for the front windows and express down for the back.

turbojimmy
04-08-06, 12:55 PM
That fade thing is a neat project, I think late model Cavalier/Sunfires had it, and they used a seperate standalone module for that stuff. Can anyone say for certain that they do have the fade to off feature? If so, those cars are plentiful in the junkyard, and the module should be an easy retrofit. (you'll also gain battery rundown protection too!)

My '93 Cavalier had the fade-out interior light. It was the coolest feature the car had.

Jim

N0DIH
04-08-06, 05:58 PM
In reality, just get a large cap with a resistor (your light bulb is your resistor...) and put it in parallel of any light on the ckt that you want the fade to dark on. If it is too fast, go with a bigger cap, if too slow, bigger resistor or smaller cap, in this case, you have to play with the cap.

Probably start with a 100uF cap, and go up from there, might end up needing a 470uF. Get one that is at least 25v. You need some headroom for overvoltage or spikes. Electrolytics explode if treated badly... It is quite entertaining!

My '93 Cavalier had the fade-out interior light. It was the coolest feature the car had.

Jim

Oh, unfortunately, this low buck method will fade to bright too. Sorry, this is dirt cheap electronics.... More is a little more complicated.

Read up on the RC Time Constant here: http://www.tpub.com/neets/book2/3d.htm

So, you can measure the resistance you have now by disconnecting the battery (this is important!!, GM uses switched GROUNDS, so you can zap your meter by not doing this). 1st. Count all the light bulbs on the dome light ckt. Remove the large dome light and measure the resistance. See how many 194's on in the ckt, remove 1 and measure it.

Now, take 1/the big dome light bulb + 1/each 194 in the ckt. Then 1/answer for the overall resistance.

Now, take the cap you start with, say a 100uF, and plug it in to the formula at: http://www.cvs1.uklinux.net/cgi-bin/calculators/time_const.cgi.

This will tell you if you need a larger or smaller cap for the time you need. So, if you have 10 ohms resistance of the bulbs, then you need around a 400 milli Farad cap. This is a BIG cap, likely fairly large in size too. This will give a 4 second delay to get to 63% brightness, starting to dim immediately from the time the lights are turned off.

This cap may be hard to find too. You can put several in parallel to get more capacitance to slow it down.

OR, if you are creative, you can use a NE555 timer and make a digital one. This would be smaller, also fairly inexpensive to make the time to start the delay later. Say hook it up to the same variable resistor on the delay on the headlights once you get out of the car. Then it is hidden away, but still adjustable.

You can likely design it for $10, maybe $15 if the cap is tough to get.

davesdeville
04-09-06, 08:43 PM
Not like the windoe motor has enough power to cut your hand off.

No, but it has enough power to hurt like a son of a bitch, I know that much.

DopeStar 156
04-09-06, 11:33 PM
No, but it has enough power to hurt like a son of a bitch, I know that much.
LOL! Yeah, I know too....

Benzilla
04-11-06, 12:06 AM
I've been thinking of express windows for a long time now, and I want the moonroof in my Brougham to do the same, so where do I get the stuff?