: times are hard im putting regular gas in my 95'

epicbloodline
04-06-06, 06:32 PM
caddy fleetwood!

im killing my ride..RIGHT:confused:

its going in for a tune up, "first one since i had it" what should i tell the guy to change/replace to get it running like new!

caddycruiser
04-06-06, 06:38 PM
Are you KIDDING?!?

The Fleetwood was NEVER intended to run on anything BUT 87 regular...read your owner's manual for gosh sake!

It just has your average small block Chevy V8 in it, and wouldn't require anything higher than 87 unless you did some major changes like putting a supercharger on it.

It's a lot of the Northstar and Escalade engines that recommend premium...but NEVER a Fleetwood...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-06-06, 06:47 PM
Yup, always ran 87 Octane in my LT1 Roadmaster.

epicbloodline
04-06-06, 06:51 PM
Are you KIDDING?!?

The Fleetwood was NEVER intended to run on anything BUT 87 regular...read your owner's manual for gosh sake!

It just has your average small block Chevy V8 in it, and wouldn't require anything higher than 87 unless you did some major changes like putting a supercharger on it.

It's a lot of the Northstar and Escalade engines that recommend premium...but NEVER a Fleetwood...

thats good to know:thumbsup: ! wonder why its sputter in low speeds like..after the light turns green i hit the gas it sputters a little guess i'll have the guys check the fuel pump..

should i have the cadillac dealer give me my oOVER due 100k mile tune up..i dont know much about cars, its sad cause i haul cars for living..guess what im tring to say is

could someone give me a list of things that need to be replaced after 100k miles?

money isnt a real big deal at this point!
PS..
i have a very faint seal leak near the oil change plug...is that a huge job..if so i'll get rid of it and get a "town and country"

caddycruiser
04-06-06, 07:02 PM
Sputtering is typically a sign of some fuel pressure problems, so you're likely right in thinking fuel pump.

I'm not sure what else to tell you would be "good to do" at 100k miles, but someone will certainly chime in here in a little bit.

And yes--just stick with 87:thumbsup:

epicbloodline
04-06-06, 07:04 PM
:thumbsup: THANKS

ocjmakaveli
04-06-06, 07:05 PM
Can't say for sure about the oil leak it's either the intake manifold gasket above leaking at the rear and dripping down about a $100 job max if someone else does it.

Or it could be the rear seal and you have to remove the trans to get to that........around $400 if someone else does it or $10 in parts if you do it yourself.

Pretty much at those miles you should get spark plugs and wires, air filter fuel filter, just buy a fuel filter from an impala ss of the same year or else autozone doesn't list a filter for our caddys and the dealer is pretty expensive.Also very good to do a eninge coolant change or even have a flush done but changing the coolant is good enough. Have the differential fluid checked but not really necessary.

Otherwise you could have something that is malfunctioning causing your sputtering, best to take it in to the dealership for some good diagnostics.

Do the plugs and wires first if it doesn't get better then take it to have some diagnostics run.

I hope the town country comment was a joke.......If not let us know how much you want for it and what color?........

epicbloodline
04-06-06, 07:16 PM
Can't say for sure about the oil leak it's either the intake manifold gasket above leaking at the rear and dripping down about a $100 job max if someone else does it.

Or it could be the rear seal and you have to remove the trans to get to that........around $400 if someone else does it or $10 in parts if you do it yourself.

Pretty much at those miles you should get spark plugs and wires, air filter fuel filter, just buy a fuel filter from an impala ss of the same year or else autozone doesn't list a filter for our caddys and the dealer is pretty expensive.Also very good to do a eninge coolant change or even have a flush done but changing the coolant is good enough. Have the differential fluid checked but not really necessary.

Otherwise you could have something that is malfunctioning causing your sputtering, best to take it in to the dealership for some good diagnostics.

Do the plugs and wires first if it doesn't get better then take it to have some diagnostics run.

I hope the town country comment was a joke.......If not let us know how much you want for it and what color?........

:thehand: no its wasnt a joke

i have a 95-91fleets i live in new jersey, i bought the car from orlando fl. at this lincoln dealership i was dropping some cars at..gave the guy a deposit flew down 3 weeks later drove her back to jersey..it had then 88k 1 owner, it has 102k now..20k in 2 years..shes wine/silver on grey, grey full top heated seats, Lt1, chrome sides, i use the 91 for work..95 my wife takes the kids to school nothing else..i would like to put 500 bucks in it just dont know where?

http://forums.lowridermagazine.com/photo/showphoto.php?photo=481&size=big

^^thats the same color!

http://forums.lowridermagazine.com/photo/showphoto.php?photo=480

N0DIH
04-06-06, 11:12 PM
I am running 93 octane in mine only because I can't get to an E85 station right now, and I think my tune might be too much for 87 octane.

But I am striving for it to run 87 octane and E85 when I get more of it to test with. I hope to be running 100% all the time starting next week, right now I get around 20 gallons a week to deal with, so if I start on a full tank, I can run all week with ease, but if I don't, I can run 3 days and I have to fill with gas to get me back to an E85 station. Grrr.....

Due to cold start enrichment of the E85 vs gas, I have to flash PCM back and forth for each grade. Soon I should have that nailed down....

DopeStar 156
04-06-06, 11:56 PM
I put 89 and sometimes 93 in my Brougham simply because it was diesling on regular. I've been doing this for well over a year now. Am I wrong?

caddycruiser
04-07-06, 12:26 AM
I put 89 and sometimes 93 in my Brougham simply because it was diesling on regular. I've been doing this for well over a year now. Am I wrong?

Not necessarily--it's just not something that should be REQUIRED (as long as everything is in proper order, that is).

Oddly enough, the few times I tried 89 (not a huge difference from 87, I know, but still something), I was suprised at how the '93 FWB seemed to get confused almost, and actually lost power. I imagined some adjustment, but it was not for the better, that was for sure.

DopeStar 156
04-07-06, 10:59 AM
I like to put at least 89 in my car simply because I was told it keeps the car running cleaner. I haven't put regular in my car for well over a year.

caddycruiser
04-07-06, 12:00 PM
I like to put at least 89 in my car simply because I was told it keeps the car running cleaner. I haven't put regular in my car for well over a year.

That's something I was always told/thought too--"it's just better"--but basically just stopped doing that.

I want the best, but that's just one area (and a highly debateable one too...), where going for the "better" doesn't have much of any effect, and just boils down to a waste of money most of the time.

ocjmakaveli
04-07-06, 05:44 PM
There is a gain in power with 93/91 over 87 octane it all depends whether your engine/mods/pcm can take advantage of it...

On my 94 I've always felt a power difference of course not amazing but there is a difference that I would say is worth the overall $4.00 per tank most of the time I don't use premium though unless I'm feeling frisky and planning on doing some racing then I do use premium because there is a difference in our lt1 fleetwoods.

Ive never used 89 or any silver type gas only regular or premium. I think it has to do with the engine and overall car whether or not a difference will be felt because the car has to be able to adapt to the change.

caddycruiser
04-07-06, 06:51 PM
There is a gain in power with 93/91 over 87 octane it all depends whether your engine/mods/pcm can take advantage of it...

On my 94 I've always felt a power difference of course not amazing but there is a difference that I would say is worth the overall $4.00 per tank most of the time I don't use premium though unless I'm feeling frisky and planning on doing some racing then I do use premium because there is a difference in our lt1 fleetwoods.

Ive never used 89 or any silver type gas only regular or premium. I think it has to do with the engine and overall car whether or not a difference will be felt because the car has to be able to adapt to the change.

Likely true, and I may have to try some 93 in the '95. All I know is that the 89 was actually a degrade in the '93, and seemed to kill it off a bit.

Then again, maybe I'll just stick with 87 only, since it seems to keep each car in the driveway like a scared rabbit anyway...

N0DIH
04-07-06, 07:38 PM
The only real advantage is the additive package each company uses. The top tier gas may have some advantages:

http://www.gm.com/automotive/fueleconomy/reduce_emissions.html

That is all I can see long term use, from only these recognized brands:

http://www.gm.com/automotive/fueleconomy/detergent_update_081705.html

More on Top Tier:

http://www.toptiergas.com/

scurling
04-09-06, 11:11 PM
Ok guys, lets get out our Owners Manual and read the section on gasoline.

Megga-Ditto what CaddyCruiser said.

caddycruiser
04-09-06, 11:50 PM
Ok guys, lets get out our Owners Manual and read the section on gasoline.

Megga-Ditto what CaddyCruiser said.

I know. I didn't want to start a whole "thing" like always happens with this kind of issue, but it's been proven SO, SO many times...putting in a higher grade than called for is just a waste.

And if it's just to compensate for mechanical issues (pinging, etc.), having those fixed instead is the better route.

Benzilla
04-10-06, 11:04 PM
what does a Ht4100 need? I put 93 in mine, when I don't it has no power and pings.

Benzilla
04-18-06, 10:14 PM
I was kinda looking for an answer...

caddycruiser
04-18-06, 10:31 PM
I was kinda looking for an answer...

That's a good question. I couldn't see anything more than 87, but the 4.9L requires Premium, so maybe it did too.

GenoTheLowrider
04-19-06, 08:32 AM

I put the same thing in '89, usually 93. If I dont it diesels like HELL when I try to turn it off. Even though in the maunual it say 87 is wha tI can use, using that I will never be able to get that car to turn off!

The Cadillac Queen
04-19-06, 09:12 AM
Usually, it will state in the car or near the fuel port what to put in the car. As a rule of thumb, any vehicle will run off of 87, but if it requires premium, put premium in it or you will notice a slight or major (rare instance) decrease in performance. Whenever I put 91 in my '87 Fleetwood Brougham, it's always a booster for me. But I work on all my babies and everything is calibrated correctly as it should be. If your car isn't in tip-top shape, there may be undesired results depending upon what you put in your tank.

Yeah, tell me about the hard times, EPICBLOODLINE. I just put $30 in at a time. But I don't care how high gas gets, I'm still gonna roll in my V8 and V16 Caddys. But I do hope something happens with the gas prices, soon. Eventually, it's gonna get to too many people and something huge is going to happen. However, I hope that helps you and anyone else with issues about what to put in their Caddy's! Thanks!

BCs71
04-19-06, 04:05 PM
As for the fuel debate, 87 octane is the way to go UNLESS you had aftermarket programming (not by GM) done to your PCM.

thats good to know:thumbsup: ! wonder why its sputter in low speeds like..after the light turns green i hit the gas it sputters a little guess i'll have the guys check the fuel pump..
Fuel pump and filter have already been brought up. Definitely give the fuel pressure and system a check.
But another possibility for off-the-line stumble is the EGR valve.

PS..
i have a very faint seal leak near the oil change plug...is that a huge job..if so i'll get rid of it and get a "town and country"

Along with the rear of the intake manifold another common leaky place is at the oil filter adapter where it meets the block.

Good luck!

N0DIH
04-19-06, 04:47 PM
The stock PCM cal for the B/D Bodies brings in EGR just off idle at lighter throttle. I tweaked mine to be only allowed during the cruise rpm range, 1600-2300 rpm, and 40-60 kpa MAP. Don't need near as much EGR as GM thinks... The Corvette doesn't get near as much as we get. It makes a notable throttle response improvment