Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 41 replies 16 participants last post by  Elvis 
#1 ·
So its been over 5 days now.Saturday morning i was just like "hey,this stuff is bad and gross". So i stopped,and havnt really been having a bad time with it.Ive been smoking since i was 13 too(horrible huh?).There are two factors though that have helped me: 1. I havnt been socializing for the past 5 days,ive only spoke to a couple friends and only hung out with 2,and that was only for about 15 minutes. 2. I havnt been drinking,and anyone who smokes and a drinks knows how good a nice cool mentholated newport can be after a few drinks,or really any cigarette for that matter.

Problem is,I plan on drinking tonight.My rent is getting paid and my friend Whitneys friend from New York is down here on vacation and wants to party.Plus its been 5 days since ive done anything.So i dont know if i can keep it up,or if i will give in.Is it a lost cause or should i TRY to stick with it?

#3 ·
85EvergreenBrougham said:
So its been over 5 days now.Saturday morning i was just like "hey,this stuff is bad and gross". So i stopped,and havnt really been having a bad time with it.Ive been smoking since i was 13 too(horrible huh?).There are two factors though that have helped me: 1. I havnt been socializing for the past 5 days,ive only spoke to a couple friends and only hung out with 2,and that was only for about 15 minutes. 2. I havnt been drinking,and anyone who smokes and a drinks knows how good a nice cool mentholated newport can be after a few drinks,or really any cigarette for that matter.

Problem is,I plan on drinking tonight.My rent is getting paid and my friend Whitneys friend from New York is down here on vacation and wants to party.Plus its been 5 days since ive done anything.So i dont know if i can keep it up,or if i will give in.Is it a lost cause or should i TRY to stick with it?
You should stick with it. I quit when we where planning on having a baby, and it seemed like soon as I quit there where 20,000 social events. The time will never be right if you look at it from that point of view. I found string licorice to be very good. I looked like an ass with it always hanging out of my mouth, but it gave me something to chew plus it is not fatting. Anyway I ended up quiting for over a year. Once the baby was 3 months old I started up again. I guess it was because I didn't really want to quit when I did, but I do not believe in smoking while your pregnant. To this day I go outside for my smokes. You will find after your 2nd week it gets a lot easier it is more the habit that is hard to break then the nicotine part. You know what, you have the meet coming up to and a few of us are smokers. Be strong, if it is what you want it can be done no matter who is around. I survived many parties in my first few weeks and did fine.

#4 ·
boombotz said:
You should stick with it. I quit when we where planning on having a baby, and it seemed like soon as I quit there where 20,000 social events. The time will never be right if you look at it from that point of view. I found string licorice to be very good. I looked like an ass with it always hanging out of my mouth, but it gave me something to chew plus it is not fatting. Anyway I ended up quiting for over a year. Once the baby was 3 months old I started up again. I guess it was because I didn't really want to quit when I did, but I do not believe in smoking while your pregnant. To this day I go outside for my smokes. You will find after your 2nd week it gets a lot easier it is more the habit that is hard to break then the nicotine part. You know what, you have the meet coming up to and a few of us are smokers. Be strong, if it is what you want it can be done no matter who is around. I survived many parties in my first few weeks and did fine.
I commend you for not smoking while pregnant.That is such a great thing,and shows you really love and care about your child.I wish more mothers were that thoughtful,the world would have alot less messed up babies.Thank you for the encouragement.I dont really have the oral fixation that alot of people have,its more a habit thing.I smoke when i drive,i smoke after i eat,i smoke when i drink,i smoke when im bored,its just breaking those habits that are the hardest for me.And the thing is,is that i do and i dont want to quit,i do because its bad and i heard its harder to quit when you get older,but also there is just something so soothing and satisfieing about a cigarette.

I dont know,im going to give it my best shot,if i can get through tonight,then i think i may actualy be able to go all the way.

Thanks for the encouragement.

#5 ·
Well good luck and do try to hang in there. Hopefully find a friend(s) who will be around you tonight to also try and continue to encourage you not to have a smoke. It won't be easy.

I smoked for about 11 years when I quit, started in Jr high and quit a few months before getting out of the Navy. When I did quit (Oct 27 1987) we were out to sea, deployed and on our way back from the Persian Gulf. It wasn't easy on a ship filled with A LOT of smokers, but I somehow managed to fight it off for those first 5 weeks without toooo much trouble. THE WORSE time came about a week after we got back to homeport and myself and some friends from the ship all had the same night off on the weekend and so we all went clubing in downtown Jacksonville and I tied on a good drunk. I honestly don't know if I will ever have to fight off a harder temptation / desire again in my life than I did that night. After getting good and buzzed I wanted a fracking cig BAD, really really bad. Of course everyone in the bars were smoking, but once my buzz kicked in good, so did my craving. I got so far as to stick a cig in my mouth and draw on it unlit. But I kept telling myself if I lit it, it was all over, all the effort to that point was wasted, and I really did want to quit. So I finally got up and went outside the bar and started BS'n with some Cops who were watching the area. After talking with them for about 30-45 min about the cruise we just got back from, my buzz calmed down some and so did the desire. I decided that was probably enough for the night and called a cab to go back to the base. Got back to the ship, had a coke and hit the rack. I never ever had a craving that bad again, I had apparently fought the worse of it off. Haven't smoked since.

If you've been 5+ days without, the nicotine is out of your system now, which means everything you will fight from here on out will be your own mind funking with you because of the Habits of smoking. The Habits are the hardest part of quitting. You've spent years building up these "routines" of when you have a cig - out of bed, after a meal, to "relax", being around other smokers, drinking alcohol ,etc. It will be your mind you are fighting now and it isn't easy. However you can do it, you simply have to decide not to let it best you. Your conscious mind has to win out over your habitual one. Once again good luck, and don't give up the battle. The sooner you do quit, the sooner you can spend that cash on other things. (when I quit, a carton of Marlboros was 4.50 on the ship ;) )

#6 ·
Thank you sir for the encouragement.Most of my friends are smokers,i know it will not be easy.I like boombotz idea of the twizzlers,i may just get something like that when i have a craving,or maybe popsicles,i love popsicles.

#7 ·
The only way you know you quit smoking is when you stop counting the days!!!:bouncy:

#8 ·
I bought a case of Lifesavers from the ship's store and carried a roll around in the shirt pocket where I usually kept the pack. It kinda satisfied the "reach in pocket, pull out object and put in mouth" signal my brain was used to. That is until I got sick of Lifesavers. Then I just dumped-em ;)

#10 ·
For real,if i make it through tonight,or this weekend, i will have a whole new level,a whole new platau of self confidence.
Every day is like climbing another rung on a ladder. The higher up you get, the farther it is to fall.

I looked at it as learning to ride a bike. You go for a while, you might fall off, but you get back on and next time you go a little longer.

When I finally did it, I just made up my mind that failure was not an option. That was almost two years ago.

Read through this thread if you're interested in my odyssey:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forums-lounge/11415-trying-quit-smoking-again.html?

G
#11 ·
If you drink you'll smoke.
It would even be difficult for me if I drank while trying to quit.
You don't have alot of willpower in you so the last thing you want to do is:
Drink!

Me I am down to 10 cigarettes per day.
The key to it is to make some work for yourself.
At first I'd put my cigarettes in the freezer so I'd have to make a trip in there to get one, then I would put them clear out in the car and so on.

I got use to smoking less and now I buy bags of tobacco and cigarette tubes. But I didn't buy a machine. Making a cigarette by hand, when you are not rolling them, is alot of work and it makes me smoke alot less.

Good luck there.
You have balls if you're quitting.
But even a man like me probably would smoke if booze was involved,
So don't chance it!

Another good idea is to wet down your smokes in vinegar and then dry them out.. Then they taste like shit. Do that and gargle with listerine before smoking. It makes it awful. You won't wanna to smoke.

#12 ·
FredMaxwell said:
If you drink you'll smoke.
It would even be difficult for me if I drank while trying to quit.
You don't have alot of willpower in you so the last thing you want to do is:
Drink!

Me I am down to 10 cigarettes per day.
The key to it is to make some work for yourself.
At first I'd put my cigarettes in the freezer so I'd have to make a trip in there to get one, then I would put them clear out in the car and so on.

I got use to smoking less and now I buy bags of tobacco and cigarette tubes. But I didn't buy a machine. Making a cigarette by hand, when you are not rolling them, is alot of work and it makes me smoke alot less.

Good luck there.
You have balls if you're quitting.
But even a man like me probably would smoke if booze was involved,
So don't chance it!

Another good idea is to wet down your smokes in vinegar and then dry them out.. Then they taste like shit. Do that and gargle with listerine before smoking. It makes it awful. You won't wanna to smoke.
Yeah,i had been cutting down a few weeks prior.Thanks for the advice.The booze i think will get me,i dont know,we shall see...

#13 ·
That's a good decision to make. Good luck with it! I know a guy who would chew on cinnamon sticks, and he said it worked a lot better than Nicorette or anything like that, it's the same concept as the Twizzler's.

G
#14 ·
Yeah,i had been cutting down a few weeks prior.Thanks for the advice.The booze i think will get me,i dont know,we shall see...

I know you're set on drinking tonight,
May as well just plan to binge smoke some cigars till you turn blue :thumbsup:

Seriously - that will make you not want to smoke
Because drinking would make anyone smoke if they were quitting
So you may as well make sure it makes you turn green :bouncy: :bouncy:

#16 ·
FredMaxwell said:
I know you're set on drinking tonight,
May as well just plan to binge smoke some cigars till you turn blue :thumbsup:

Seriously - that will make you not want to smoke
Because drinking would make anyone smoke if they were quitting
So you may as well make sure it makes you turn green :bouncy: :bouncy:
I hadnt planned on smoking cigarettes,if it came down to it,i was going to smoke black and milds.

#17 ·
I'm glad I stopped smoking cigarettes, filty habit. I smoke once in a while but I rarely drink. I enjoy a good glass of wine after work and sometimes a cigar if I have the time. The best thing to do is go cold turkey like you're doing. There is power in numbers; if you pledge to smoke 2 cigarettes a day, then why not 3 or 4? 0 is a good number, just my $0.02 though...

G
#19 ·
Drinking makes you want to smoke and makes you weak..
Back in my drinking days I would smoke 4-5 packs of KOOLS every day,
Some times I would go through even more.

Ah,
The good old days
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.