: P0741 - TCC System Stuck Off...Now What??

tbird71
04-06-06, 09:11 AM
The torque Converter Clutch is stuck off acc to the codes...PO741...Do I have to pull trans? The '96 isnt worth doing that...anyone offer some advice?

Ranger
04-06-06, 10:54 AM
Yes, I believe you do have to pull the trans to fix it. The alternative is leave it alone and drive it as is. The purpose of the TCC is to lock up the torque converter at 41 MPH for better fuel milage. With it stuck off, you get a little slippage and will run a few hundred RPM higher at any given speed, thus you'll loose a MPG or so.

auroradude
04-06-06, 11:30 AM
Keep driving it til the trans grenades, i wouldnt bother replacing the torque convter now

Jim_mack
04-13-06, 11:55 AM
Mine is at the dealer right now for the very same thing I bought the 97 a month ago just took it on a 500 mile trip got about 24.9 MPG not so bad. I wonder what the dealer techs will have to say about this???

Cheers......Jim

1993 eldorado green1
04-13-06, 01:50 PM
The torque Converter Clutch is stuck off acc to the codes...PO741...Do I have to pull trans? The '96 isnt worth doing that...anyone offer some advice?

its possible that the torque convertor relay is sticking too. it was always a common problem on gm cars that didnt like to downshift when comming to a stop. you could try to replace the relay first and see what that does, go from there i guess. it probably wont hurt it to just drive it how it is though.

when i was turning wrenches we seen hunderds of gm cars that came in with the lock up converters unplugged lolol it seemed like a common thing..

Jim_mack
04-13-06, 03:22 PM
Mine is intermittant I can drive the car for a few days and not get the service engine light to come on and no code. It happened last going up hill passing a tractor/trailor. The big car shifted down and zoomed by the truck but then I got the light other times I try to reproduce the service engine light and can't get it to happen. Reading some of Bbobs posts makes me think elecrical snagg sometimes shorting sometimes not. The GM goodwrench boys got her today I got a day off work so I'm surfing and learning from the Caddi posts and maybe order mayself a Caddi shop manual. I dont really have the time or know how to tackle a job like this but it's nice knowing VCC from TCC when the shop mgr starts to BS you.

Jim_mack
04-29-06, 04:27 AM
Got my shop manual on CDROM today........I like it! 22.99 cheap cheap!

Conditions For Setting DTC P0741

DTC will set under the following conditions:

DTC P0101, P0102 or P0103 (MAF sensor) is not present.
or
DTC P0121, P0122 or P0123 (throttle position sensor) is not present.
or
DTC P0502 or P0503 (vehicle speed sensor) is not present.
or
DTC P0716 or P0717 (input speed sensor) is not present.
or
DTC P0742 (TCC stuck on) is not present.
or
DTC P1810 (TFP valve position switch) is not present.
or
DTC P1860 (TCC PWM solenoid) is not present.
and
Throttle angle is more than 8 degrees.
Engine must be running for at least 5 seconds.
Gear ratio must indicate 2nd, 3rd or 4th gear.
TFP valve position switch indicates D4.
Fluid temperature must be 0-266°F (-18-130°C).
TCC slip speed does not exceed torque limits.
Delivered torque is 32-150 ft. lbs. (43-202 N.m).
Engine is not in fuel shut off mode.
TCC solenoid valve is commanded on at maximum duty cycle.

sparkydm
11-01-13, 12:24 PM
"Got my shop manual on CDROM today........I like it! 22.99 cheap cheap!"

Jim_mack, where did you order the CD shop manual from?

CadillacLuke24
11-01-13, 04:52 PM
Dang dude! Seven year ressurection!

Don't hold your breath. Likely these people aren't around anymore.

Search eBay. You can find CD shop manuals there, as well as the hard copies. Look long and hard, there ARE deals to be had.

sparkydm
11-01-13, 05:10 PM
It was worth a shot! :duck:

Submariner409
11-01-13, 06:38 PM
If you click Jim_mack's username, open his profile and look at "About me" you'll see that his last post was almost exactly 3 years ago.

The CDs are OK, but were never updated. Other, online subscription sources, are updated - especially when it comes to recalls and Technical Service Bulletins (TSB).

CDs, GM service manual hard copy and online subscriptions all go hand-in-hand - there's nothing like a greasy paper page staring at you from the workbench.

sparkydm
11-01-13, 07:07 PM
Is there anything out there better than Alldata? I've used them for years and never too impressed! I mainly use them to get an idea

of how difficult the repair might be by using the hours for repair listed. Their directions leave a lot to be desired, if they're even listed

for your vehicle.

Ranger
11-01-13, 10:46 PM
Someone just posted about this the other day (can't remember where). There is something like (but better) than alldata run by GM, but it is ridiculously expensive. I think he said he paid like $20 for 3 days.

sparkydm
11-01-13, 11:00 PM
Ouch!