: Courtesy Light Duration Adjustment?

theGman
04-05-06, 08:10 PM
Is there any way to adjust the duration of the interior lights, so they don't remain on so long?

Whether it's opening the trunk, pulling on a door handle, etc... it gets old lighting up the neighborhood after dark for what seems like forever. With the size of the lit interior on these whales it's almost like a lighthouse!

N0DIH
04-06-06, 11:57 AM
Easily? Likely not.

Can be? Sure!

If you can find the module, it is likely a large capacitor and a resistor making an RC Time Constant that with a specific load (likely the R is the lights) will drain at a certain rate and then turn off the lights.

Change the cap or resistance values to change the RC.

You can install a variable resistor to make it adjustable. Might even be sneaky and put it across a light bulb already in place and it will see that resistor (might make that light dimmer though) and adjust it some. Not much range, and likely only shorter, not longer at all.

theGman
04-06-06, 08:11 PM
Thanks; I unfortunately don't have the ability to do that. If someone could modify modules for guys like me with a variable control, they'd probably be able to sell a bunch of them. At least one!

I was hoping it would be a computer diagnostic system program adjustment.

Thanks, Paul

N0DIH
04-06-06, 09:59 PM
If I had one to look at, I am sure I could figure it out. Next time you are at a boneyard, snag an extra and send it to me, I'll let you know what I can do.