: Anyone know what: ZJ1 package was?

Resilient
04-05-06, 02:31 PM
Was reading elsewhere that the:

"1999 Catera Sport sedan featured ZJ1 suspension that was setup for more aggressive handling and response.
The ZJ1 package included
stiffer front and rear springs
struts and shocks with increased compression and rebound performance
enhanced valving for the rear shocks "

Anyone have details on what that Zj1 package was ?

CateraSport2000
04-05-06, 03:09 PM
It means exactly what it says... this was done on all '99 Catera sports (not many of them out there!). It is interesting to note that this suspension then became standard on the 2000 and 2001 non-sport Catera. The 2000 and 2001 sports had an even stiffer suspension that was nearly identical to the setup in Europe.

Jeff

Resilient
04-06-06, 08:18 AM
But it doesn't say specifically the type of shocks etc... I guess I should have asked: is this a 'conversion' that could be done on pre-1999 Cats ?

guardian
04-06-06, 09:54 AM
. . . . . . . . . is this a 'conversion' that could be done on pre-1999 Cats ?

It was actually the earlier Catera cars which were "converted" out of fear the MV6 suspension was too harsh for pansy-assed Americans. A new set of the right shocks and the proper springs should go a long way toward putting things right.

Resilient
04-06-06, 11:41 AM
I guess that was my question: what would be the right shocks and the proper springs ?

guardian
04-06-06, 08:17 PM
I guess that was my question: what would be the right shocks and the proper springs ?
Understood.

What I was trying to say is that you should consider the MV6 equipment. I would expect these items to be orderable from Europe, where the MV6 was a well established automobile.

My best understanding:

The MV6 predated the early Cateras by at least two to three years, in Europe of course. I would expect components from these cars to fit the early Cateras. Or, perhaps better, go for springs and shocks from 1996 through 1998 MV6's. They should stiffen up an early Cat.

Will springs and shocks for the 2000 and 2001 Catera Sport automobiles fit early ('97 - '98)? I do not know but I hope another poster here WILL know. The 2000 and 2001 Catera Sports feature a suspension roughly the equivalent of the MV6.