: 94 fleetwood speedometer reading???

wsh81
04-05-06, 02:13 PM
Got a question regarding my 1994 Fleetwood Brougham regarding my speedometer reading. I put on smaller rims and tires on my car and reads about 5 mph over of what it is actually going, also does anybody know how to adjust the calibration. Does anybody know as well about taking out or adjusting the governer so I can reach a higher top speed.
ANY INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS!!!!

BCs71
04-05-06, 04:39 PM
Got a question regarding my 1994 Fleetwood Brougham regarding my speedometer reading. I put on smaller rims and tires on my car and reads about 5 mph over of what it is actually going, also does anybody know how to adjust the calibration. Does anybody know as well about taking out or adjusting the governer so I can reach a higher top speed.
ANY INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS!!!!

Your best bet would be to get a PCM reflash from Bran Herter at www.pcmforless.com -- I think he gets $75 for a reflash on a 94 OBD1 vehicle now.... prices are on the site.
The new tire size must be "told" to the PCM (powertrain control module) so that it corrects the speedo and odometer appropriately.
The stock speed limiter is also in the PCM.... most likely it is 108 MPH since Fleetwoods came with tire ratings that were only safe up to 108 MPH.
As long as you have higher speed ratings on your new tires, then it would be safe to either raise the speed limiter or get rid of it altogether. PCMforless can do that also.

Along with making the changes you requested, pcmforless can add some performance to your vehicle. If you're willing to add 89 or 93 octane fuel he can get you significant horsepower. Even if you stick with 87 octane you can get 15 or more HP on his tune, I believe. Other stuff as well, like get rid of AIR pump and firm tranny shifts (similar to shift kit feel).

The Hypertech Programmer III does the tire size/speed limiter thing, but NO performance benefit per se, and costs like $300. Most consider these things junk.

N0DIH
04-05-06, 05:04 PM
For the most accurate speedo calibration, measure your circumference of your tire and send that to Brian at PCMforLess. I haven't dealt with him, but a LOT of people revere his work well. I am doing my own tuning/calibrations, Brian has lots of dyno time and experience, so the $75 is well spent $.

I highly recommend that the V4P shift patterns be used over the stock ones, you will like them, much improved over stock non V4P (aka, the 7000 lb towing package). Brian ~should~ be able to do that if he has the .bin file. I have it and can help if Brian needs it.

Hypertech programmers are a joke in comparisson to doing real tunes. They are a comprimise at best.