: STS-V and XLR-V at the 1/4 mile Drag Strip!

Clintonwmills
04-05-06, 09:06 AM
The first night of the 2006 race year, we had the STS-V, VLR-V & the XLR. It was absolutely amazing. Of course we had everyone going crazy about all three of the cars. To make this short both V are unbelieve. I bet no one will guess what the XLR-V ran!

STS-V 13.261 @ 104.9
XLR-V 12.669 @ 108.96
CTS-V 13.336 @ 105.47 (From last year same date)

People where going crazy! It was a little to cold for great traction so this time can be improved. I had wheel spin right at launch then it hooked up and was gone. The XLR-V had better traction then me. I would say the STS-V could get 13.1 easy. Beyond that I do not know. There where so many cars out there, makeing the loudest noises and they where running 13.5-16.9. Only the slick cares where really getting better. I will upload some pictures and video later.

Clintonwmills
04-05-06, 09:11 AM
4 Runs.

Aveage 13.361

By the way one time I took off and lost traction, then for some stupid reason it switched to 2nd gear. I ran a 16.9 because I just gave up.

Clintonwmills
04-05-06, 09:18 AM
http://12.153.20.151/car/sts-v.htm

I uploaded my 2nd best time because it was when i raced witht he XLR-V. It was the first race. I will try and get some video later.

Kadonny
04-05-06, 12:06 PM
Very nice times.

Pretty cool video. What kind of car was making all that noise and who was shooting the video?

davesdeville
04-05-06, 12:41 PM
Good times. Excellant for the XLR-V. I look forward to any new times/videos you get in the future. And a big :thumbsup: for actually taking it to the strip.

Jesda
04-06-06, 08:23 PM
Is that all?

Kidding. :D

Those are impressive numbers!

BADAZGN
04-06-06, 08:45 PM
I am not surprised about the XLR-V. When I drove one a couple weeks ago it felt quicker than my car. (However one does not need to granny shift the XLR-V) LOL

That's sweet!

Matthew

Clintonwmills
04-06-06, 11:52 PM
I have more video, i will try and get them uploaded soon and i will post to let you know. Not sure, there any many cars that make that much noise at the track! But it didnt matter, cuz we beat all of them! It was amazing! We where the talk of the town.

soupero
04-07-06, 01:58 PM
I wish we had dragracing strips in Europe

VELOSE
04-10-06, 12:48 AM
http://12.153.20.151/car/sts-v.htm

I uploaded my 2nd best time because it was when i raced witht he XLR-V. It was the first race. I will try and get some video later.

You can be in the high 11's with better reaction time and stickier tires. Nice job.:thumbsup:

Green STS-V
04-10-06, 05:15 AM
You can be in the high 11's with better reaction time and stickier tires. Nice job.:thumbsup:

NOT TRUE ! :stirpot:

Reaction time has absolutely no relationship at all with the E/T or the speed at the end of the quarter mile.
Reaction time only helps to determine who wins the race. :tisk:

i e Both cars have identical elasped times, but the driver with the quicker reaction time will win, correct?

You will notice that each side is timed seperately. :bigroll:

He needs to have more power and better traction. Both will help his 60 foot time and elasped time.
R/T means nothing by itself in improving either. R/T only helps in winning a race.

:)

Green STS-V
04-10-06, 05:45 AM
4 Runs.

Average 13.361

By the way, one time I took off and lost traction, [and] then for some stupid reason, it switched to 2nd gear.
I ran a 16.9 because I just gave up.

I have never been able to determine why your first run right off the street seems to almost always be your best run?

Concerning that one time that your STS-V upshifted on you?
Isn't there some way to hold or lock the transmission is first gear via the shift lever?
Your car upshifted because its' computer had determined that the engine had reached the
RPM point where an upshift must occur or the motor would hit the rev limiter, correct?

Those 13.2XX times are about right according to most all the magazine tests I've read.
With practice and given better conditions, I would think that you could get your averages very close to 13 flat.
Good luck!

Also, the differences between the STS-V and the XLR-V are just about
correct given the approximately 500 pound differences in curb weight.

Seattle CTS-V
04-10-06, 12:03 PM
Amazing times! It's great to see the V series getting more and more exposure. I guess the 'sleeper' Caddys aren't going to be as much of a secret anymore in your town!

chevelle
04-10-06, 10:16 PM
With the supercharged STS-V and XLR-V the first run is likely to be the quickest because the intercooler circuit for the supercharger charge cooler will slowly heat up and will not cool down sufficiently with back-to-back passes. One of the keys to keeping the supercharged engine output at maximum is to keep the charge cooler as cool as possible. At speed, the air flow over the intercooler heat exchanger does an excellent job. At the strip and around town the intercooler heat exchanger (that radiator for the intercooler circuit that is in front of the radiator itself) soaks up heat and needs to be cooled.

An extremely effective means of doing this is to score a salvage windshield washer bottle with an electric pump in it. Mount the bottle and put a switch so that you can activate it when wanted. Route the hose from the bottle to the intercooler heat exchanger and spray the heat exchanger with some windshield washer nozzles or a fabricated spray bar. Use windshield washer fluid in the system as it won't freeze in cold weather and it cools better due to the high methanol content in most windshield washer fluids. Most dragstrips frown upon you putting moisture onto the strip so you might want to consider whether to use it on the strip or not....but....coming down the return road you can hose down the intercooler heat exchanger and really cool it down for the next run. Depending on how well your sprayers work you can probably use it on the dragstrip with little concern if you activate it after first gear when the car speed is up. The intercooler heat exchanger system has enough thermal inertia that the spray bar isn't the sort of thing that gives any instant HP...it just keeps the intercooler system cooler for longer and is really most effective at cooling it down after a run. Works great. Believe me.

If you really want to get fancy and work more at it put ice water in the bottle before each run.....LOL.

NORRISK66
04-13-06, 01:18 PM
what altitude is this track at?

Green STS-V
04-13-06, 02:13 PM
If this is the track at Bowling Green, Kentucky :confused: The altitude is 545 ft.

Souldn't be a factor considering the temperature for April 4 was only 64 degrees and his run was late in the day. :stirpot:

nikon
04-13-06, 03:17 PM
holy crap, no way did I think they were that fast!?!?! Thats pretty Cool, I now know not to race an XLR-V Ill take my luck with an STS though. But anyways what did the regular XLR run??? you never posted it, or did I miss it???

NORRISK66
04-13-06, 06:12 PM
If this is the track at Bowling Green, Kentucky :confused: The altitude is 545 ft.

Souldn't be a factor considering the temperature for April 4 was only 64 degrees and his run was late in the day. :stirpot:

i was just curious. i am at 6,000 feet above sea level which has a HUGE impact on et's.

Green STS-V
04-13-06, 08:54 PM

Isn't that the reason that so many individuals prefer Supercharged or Turbocharged vehicles in your area? :thumbsup:

Clintonwmills
04-18-06, 09:43 AM
XLR Ran a 14.2

That is still a good time, but we laughed at him.

Bowling Green, KY is correct.

Clintonwmills
04-18-06, 09:46 AM
The STS-V does have manual shifting. If you used it, it would not help. It cuts you off when you hit red line and you are dead int he water. I have never had the up shift problem again, except that one time.

SRT8/BMW
04-18-06, 11:10 AM
The STS-V does have manual shifting. If you used it, it would not help. It cuts you off when you hit red line and you are dead int he water. I have never had the up shift problem again, except that one time.
Yes...I learned that right away during manual shifting. It is kinda of slow shifting as well....plus it shuts you down at red line. Not as good manual as my srt8. The auto shifts are pretty decent though.

Devil_concours
04-19-06, 09:04 AM
does it have sport mode? (shifting the shifter to manual but not shifting up or down)

Clintonwmills
04-19-06, 05:36 PM
does it have sport mode? (shifting the shifter to manual but not shifting up or down)

It has a Drive Sport. This will not help the 1/4 mile, but it will help when you hit the gas what gear it picks. Plus it is suppose to hold the gear a little longer. I used it on the track just for fun. But when i did it with it off it didn't make any differences.

Devil_concours
04-19-06, 08:25 PM
It has a Drive Sport. This will not help the 1/4 mile, but it will help when you hit the gas what gear it picks. Plus it is suppose to hold the gear a little longer. I used it on the track just for fun. But when i did it with it off it didn't make any differences.
so it doesn't shift faster and shift at higher rpm?

Clintonwmills
04-23-06, 11:44 PM
i do not think so, it made no difference

the manual doesn't say anything about it

Devil_concours
04-24-06, 01:00 AM
i do not think so, it made no difference

the manual doesn't say anything about it
on the regular cts and sts, it seems to shift more firmly and at higher rpm when the sports mode is engaged.

M.A.C
04-25-06, 01:16 AM
STS-V times are not too impressive. I thought they would be better--about 11.0-12.0. Cadillac can do better.

madeinalaska
04-25-06, 06:34 AM
STS-V times are not too impressive. I thought they would be better--about 11.0-12.0. Cadillac can do better.

This is true... Although, you CAN buy a Lingenfelter(or however its spelled) supercharger for the CTS-V. Hell, the guys at ligenfelter will even do the custom tuning of it!

With those times on the STS-V and the XLR-V you have lots of room for improvement. That XLR-V could be running 11s easily. And the STS-V is a FULL SIZE sedan..that's pretty damn good for a car of that size.

chevelle
04-25-06, 03:14 PM

You must be nuts or have no concept of what an 11.0-12.0 car is like. Even a Z06 isn't that quick and it is 1000 pounds lighter and is not a four door luxury car. Quit reading magazines and go to the drag strip and see what a production luxury 13.1 second car is like.

M.A.C
04-26-06, 03:44 AM
You must be nuts or have no concept of what an 11.0-12.0 car is like. Even a Z06 isn't that quick and it is 1000 pounds lighter and is not a four door luxury car. Quit reading magazines and go to the drag strip and see what a production luxury 13.1 second car is like.

Don't get me wrong, 13.1 is quick but I would expected better.

davesdeville
04-26-06, 06:05 AM
Then honestly you were a bit delusional if you were expecting 11.xx.

obzidian
04-26-06, 07:15 PM
a stock c6 zo6 WILL fo 11'z, no questions asked.....

a stock c5 z06 has ALSO done 11'z with a good driver behind the wheel and in control of the pedals...

BMW and MB's both have cars that rival the sts-v'z weight and body style, both have similar or in this case, more hp than the sts'v but its not that far behind. The e55 will do a solid low 12 and even a high, high 11. The m5 is also very quick, and will pull on the mb e55.

I personally placed it closer to a 12.5 than a 13.0...

Its still a VERY sweet car but the times, though very respectful, not quite what i had in mind. She likes to spin of the line and the TC isn't quite on the same level as the MB'z. MAybe with a set of dr she'll do a nice 12.5 but again, im a bit disappointed.

Now, if i had a choice, i would take a HARD look at the STS-V and not just overlook it and go straight for the german duo. I like cadillac and im not a bmw or MB kind of guy.... the aftermarket is probably gonna be non existant for the m5 while the e55 has some nice upgrades that get you into the 11'z. Is there an aftermarket for the STS-V? Maybe, its got a blower and it only needs a pulley swap to get it going faster but there is always the issue of a tune....

oh well, tough choice either way...

M.A.C
04-26-06, 07:49 PM
a stock c6 zo6 WILL fo 11'z, no questions asked.....
Its still a VERY sweet car but the times, though very respectful, not quite what i had in mind.
Pretty much my thoughts. I would take a STS-V over any of the cars you mentioned but I still think Cadillac can do better as far as performance.

Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG has a 5.4-liter that produces the same horses (469) as the STS-V but is capable of doing 0-60 in 4.2, compared to the STS-Vís 4.7. Though the weight of the AMG is 190 less at (4200lb). Also, the AMG gets slightly better gas mileage and has 516 lb-ft. of torque, which is a nice increase over the STS-Vís 439 lb-ft.

The STS-V, while a great automobile, still has room for improvement.

1fastSTS
04-26-06, 09:33 PM
STS-V times are extremely impressive, theres room for improvement right there with that crappy 2.0 60ft...shit i was getting 1.9's on my FWD supercharged regal GS with street tires...knock that STS-V RWD 60ft to 1.8's and ur in the 12's! its only 4.4L displacement. This is cadillacs first production supercharged car...give it some time man! this is a huge step for cadillac. and 470hp is conservative, isnt that how it always is when a car first comes out??? i wouldnt doubt it if the STS-V is a huge selling hit, them increasing the displacement back to 4.6 again after they see how well the transmision and engine handle the loads... and cranking out another 30hp with diff cams or exhaust etc.. the 2006 STS-V is basically a gineua pig !
you guys wait and see!

M.A.C
04-27-06, 12:08 AM
STS-V times are extremely impressive, theres room for improvement right there with that crappy 2.0 60ft...shit i was getting 1.9's on my FWD supercharged regal GS with street tires...knock that STS-V RWD 60ft to 1.8's and ur in the 12's! its only 4.4L displacement. This is cadillacs first production supercharged car...give it some time man! this is a huge step for cadillac. and 470hp is conservative, isnt that how it always is when a car first comes out??? i wouldnt doubt it if the STS-V is a huge selling hit, them increasing the displacement back to 4.6 again after they see how well the transmision and engine handle the loads... and cranking out another 30hp with diff cams or exhaust etc.. the 2006 STS-V is basically a gineua pig !
you guys wait and see!

I suspect the STS-V will be tweaked and times will drop substantially. I don't know why Cadillac is using 4.4L displacement except that they are experimenting with smaller engines. When the Northstar first hit the market it produced more horsepower per cubic liter than any other engine. It was a giant step forward in technology. Cadillac should not necessarily give up on the 4.6L yet. That extra .2L can be the difference between wins and loses.

I think the styling of the STS is pretty nice. I'm sure the interior will also be tweaked and refined. I think if Cadillac plays its cards right the STS will be the hottest car in its class, especially if they can keep the price below Mercedes and BMW.

1fastSTS
04-27-06, 10:20 AM
well MAC, the smaller displacement is a decrease in the cylinder bore.in this case it went from 93 to 91 millimeters. This is for strength purposes...cadillac figures, hell we slap a blower on since the blower puts a increased load of stress on the engine especially if there is detonation, increase HP figures to 100 plus more and TQ figures substantially more so than our normal 4.6 northstar. So since this has never been done before, its smart to take a conservative approach. See how well it does in the market and see how little problems occur with the motor ...if any. im sure somewhere they are test and tuning a 4.6L supercharged northstar to see how well it holds up under heavy acceleration .. any knock retarding occuring etc...and if they feel no issues will arise, they will pop it on the market with More Hp etc...which will attract buyers even more. I mean the Hemi did it with the 300C with what 350hp? now they have the SRT-8 300C with 425 hp i think... a yr later! b.c the 300C was a big selling hit. So they can put the effort into it now!
i think cadillac is trying to avoid what Ford did with thier OHV mustang engine where there was a recall.
maybe cadillac wont increase it a year later...but there will def. be a increase in the future!

oh and btw...Gm isnt giving up on the Northstar at all....A engine that works and is proven stays! ex. the LS1...its a proven engine that makes serious HP, found in the camaro and corvette. then they decided to pop it into the GTO and the CTS-V. Gm trademark 3.8 V6...a buick motor, supercharged or naturally aspirated. now then they started putting them in the monte, impala, bonneville, GTP, almost ever car, b.c its a quality engine, made good power, excellent reliability, it works.

Northstar motor you only saw in the cadillac! a 4.0 version in oldsmobile. but, now the buick lucerne was given the 4.6L northstar. and i think some pontiac was given it also, so now its being used more. its def. a engine that will stick around! :)

annie
05-03-06, 06:10 PM
this is why cadillac needs super Vs

Video - Stock SL65 runs high 11... - Mercedes (http://videos.streetfire.net/category/Mercedes/3/99274E5D-E6D5-4BB4-91BB-57C3C11728B6.htm)

That guy must not know how to drive because he had 604hp 738lb-ft in a 4564lb car and only got an 11.66 et.

This guy took a 4610lb 4 door sedan with only 493hp and only 590lb-ft and got very similer numbers.

http://videos.streetfire.net/category/Mercedes/5/20289DF4-5638-477D-9065-A959F60019A7.htm
Video - Mercedes S600 running high 11s and smoking everyone - Mercedes

When cadillac comes out with the super V they can look to mercedes to see what they would need to get into that low 11-12second teritory

STS 310
05-03-06, 09:41 PM
Guys, listen, bottom line is Caddy has these 70k cars that are ruled by their damned comps. Fuey on that.

The nsupercharged N* still leaves nothing to build on.

Am I right?

STS 310
05-03-06, 09:47 PM
Damn it R Rob you need to be here to handle these ?

annie
05-03-06, 11:14 PM
Cadillacs do great when comparing each cadillac model vs the car it is saposed to compete with. Just some examples :

xlr vs sl500= cadillac wins on price and performance
cts 3.6 vs bmw 330 vs benz c 320= cts wins on price and performance
sts vs 545 vs e500 vs gs 430 vs m45= most competitive segment but sts shows it is the = of all its cometition
srx vs fx45 vs x5 vs rx330= the srx needs a little atention but is close to being great
escilade vs all comers= ***ettaboutit escilade rules
V vs AMG vs M= Vs destroy all on price and = or win on performaceonly problem with Vs is that benz has super fast verstions of thier standered AMG models but super Vs will handle that.

Devil_concours
05-03-06, 11:26 PM
Cadillacs do great when comparing each cadillac model vs the car it is saposed to compete with. Just some examples :

xlr vs sl500= cadillac wins on price and performance
cts 3.6 vs bmw 330 vs benz c 320= cts wins on price and performance
sts vs 545 vs e500 vs gs 430 vs m45= most competitive segment but sts shows it is the = of all its cometition
srx vs fx45 vs x5 vs rx330= the srx needs a little atention but is close to being great
escilade vs all comers= ***ettaboutit escilade rules
V vs AMG vs M= Vs destroy all on price and = or win on performaceonly problem with Vs is that benz has super fast verstions of thier standered AMG models but super Vs will handle that.
i disagree with 2,3 and 6
2. CTS 3.6 can no longer compete with bmw's new 330i, c350, g35, or is350 in terms of performance or quality of material
As for v vs amg and m, c55 and m3 are close to cts-v but rs4, m3 csl, and possible c63 amg will all beat the v in performance and quality.
3. 545 and e500 have been both replaced with 550i and E550. Both are much higher output engine than northstar v8.
6. STS-V lacks severly against CLS55/63AMG, E55/63AMG, and M5.

mallettv
05-04-06, 01:48 AM
Actually the STS-V beat the CLS55 in a comparo... and also the M5 is just ugly. regardless how fast it is. Cadillac is better... Thank You... Goodbye

Devil_concours
05-04-06, 01:53 AM
Actually the STS-V beat the CLS55 in a comparo... and also the M5 is just ugly. regardless how fast it is. Cadillac is better... Thank You... Goodbye
not even close in performance figures. As for styling and interior quality, i think imo that belongs to cls. Only reason sts-v beat the cls is probably due to the huge price gap between the two