: homemade locating dowels - a possibility?

chance_b
04-05-06, 01:20 AM
After getting off the phone with the dealer, I find if I want my locating dowels for the block I'm going to have to wait about a week. Thing is, I'm impatient and really want my car running. What I'm wondering is.. would it be at all possible to fabricate the pins myself? I mean, as long as I use steel tubing with the same outer diameter, similer inner diameter, and same length with chamfered ends for the press fit.. it should work, shouldn't it? Only thing I can think of being a problem is the type of steel they use? Specially heat treated or anything? Can you guys think of any possible problems?

And just to mention, RockAuto is great on prices.. but the shipping, wow. $55 into Canada isn't too bad I guess, but considering that's for about $65 worth of small parts, haha. Ah well, still ten times better than dealer prices here.

zonie77
04-05-06, 10:28 AM
It should work, You want a slight interference fit. Do you still have an old one for exact size?

chance_b
04-05-06, 12:54 PM
Yep I believe I do. I'm pretty sure I can get their length, but the OD might be tough as they're damaged. I figure tho if I have to, I can pull the ID of the hole in the block using a micrometer, and then go just the slightest bit bigger. I'll try and buy the steel tonight, and I'll post my progress.

99esteees
04-05-06, 01:35 PM
Yep I believe I do. I'm pretty sure I can get their length, but the OD might be tough as they're damaged. I figure tho if I have to, I can pull the ID of the hole in the block using a micrometer, and then go just the slightest bit bigger. I'll try and buy the steel tonight, and I'll post my progress.

As stated, you do want SLIGHT interference. But if they off just even by a cm, you will have one hell of a time trying to guide them in. Too bad you can't do overnight shipping.

chance_b
04-11-06, 04:20 PM
***update***

went finally and bought the tubing for the pins. don't think i would of ever found the exact same diameter, but 5/8 is close. the metal shop almost didn't even have any 5/8 steel and i was gonna try using aluminum, but they found some stainless at the last minute. i'll have to sand it down until i can achieve the press fit. i'll do this tonight if i can find my tubing cutter, and i'll update again when i've achieved something.

nothing groundbreaking or exciting, but i'm gonna keep everyone updated on this anyway ;)

zonie77
04-11-06, 05:26 PM
Thanks for letting us know, too many times we never hear the end of the story.