: 1974 "Calais"

DopeStar 156
04-04-06, 02:31 PM
I found one for sale near my school with only 28,000 original miles and an asking price of $3,900. Can anyone tell me as much as they know about this particular car? I've never even heard of a "Calais." It looks exactly like a '74 Sedan de Ville.

sizanjdf
04-04-06, 02:41 PM
I believe the calais was more of an entry level car, with not as many options. It also has the 472 in it rated at 205 hp and 365 ftlbs. of torque. I dont really beileve this is correct though because my 74 fleetwood 75 has this motor and is fairly quick even for a 6000lb car. Its got alot of miles on it too, Id say nearly 200K. If they will let you, you should test drive it. Ur 89 is a boat...so this would be like driving cargo ship...lol you will love it.

fleetwood76
04-04-06, 03:17 PM
Hello
The Calais was Cadillacs entry model.
It replaced the serie sixtytwo for the model year 1965 and was aviable to 1976.
The Calais shared the body with the Deville, both sedans and coupe's.
It also shared the mechanic with the Deville.
What separated them was the level of luxuru and equippment in the interior and exterior. For exampel was not a power driver seat standard in the 1974 Calais as it was on a 1974 Deville and it varied on lighters in backseat and stuff like that, also fabric in the interior often was different.
The Calais is pretty rare it was only sold 2,324 4 dr sedans and 4,449 2 dr coupe's in 1974 compared with 60,419 4 dr and 112,201 2 dr Devilles in 1974. At the time the cost for a Deville was about 7 percent more than a Calais.
The numbers in this reply is taken from the [I]Standard catalog of Cadillac 1903 - 1990. [I]

/ jolle

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-04-06, 05:33 PM
If you got this, you would have the only Calais on the board if I'm not mistaken...

N0DIH
04-04-06, 06:02 PM
So Calais is low end, Talisman is high end?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-04-06, 06:29 PM
Yup pretty much

CoupeDevilleRob
04-04-06, 08:42 PM
Sounds like a good deal, I'd go for it. You'd have a pretty rare Caddy too. In all my years of car shows and Caddy spotting I can only remember seeing one Calais, a 70 four door. Who cares if it doesn't have all the power goodies, a 472 is the only power accessory I care about.

Sandy
04-04-06, 09:14 PM
Also...the option in the DeVille was leather. Leather was NOT available in the Calais. The upgrade over the cloth was expanded vinyl in only 2 colors: Black or Saddle.

DopeStar 156
04-04-06, 09:51 PM
I noticed there was no power seat and no power locks either. Power windows though. I recognized the dealer's label on the trunk "Brogan Cadillac" which is 2 miles from my school. This guy is probably the original owner and it was bought right there in that town. The car ran very smoothly but all I did was start it. The owner wasn't there, it was at a shop and the shop owner let me have the keys to run it. The guy dropped it for some something and never picked it up. I hope he never does. Hahahaha. I got pics but couldn't post them because I was at school before. Here they are.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/1974%20Cadillac%20Calais/74calais1.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/1974%20Cadillac%20Calais/74calais2.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/1974%20Cadillac%20Calais/74calais5.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/1974%20Cadillac%20Calais/74calais3.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/DopeStar156/1974%20Cadillac%20Calais/74calais4.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-04-06, 09:56 PM
I dont care what anyone says, brocade cloth is nasty. It reminds me of curtains. Old lady curtains.

Night Wolf
04-04-06, 10:13 PM
I like it

DopeStar 156
04-04-06, 11:23 PM
I wants me a 472..... I really like that Calais. The sign says "Will trade late model body damaged car" I wanna clarify that.....

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-04-06, 11:35 PM
Do you mean the Chevy? Please tell me its the Chevy!

Benzilla
04-05-06, 12:08 AM
I dont care what anyone says, brocade cloth is nasty. It reminds me of curtains. Old lady curtains.
lol true dat! buy really, why cares??? BUY THE DAMN THING! its really sweet and its the size of the Queen Mary II:bulging:

eldorado99
04-05-06, 12:28 AM
Buy it Dope! You would love the 472! Take it from me, it's fun driving around an oil tanker.

90Brougham350
04-05-06, 12:37 AM
Dope, you're one of a kind as it is! You need this car! Go for it! Come on! You know you wanna!

Brian

85_fleetwood
04-05-06, 12:47 AM
I used to own a 74' Calais. I loved it.

It was a real tank with a lot of power. The 472 in it was a monster. I burnt up 3 trannies in that thing driving it crazy as a teenager. It had this weird top that looked like some type of rubberized vinyl with paisley-esque designs in it. I think the top was aftermarket stuff. It was a 4-door hard top. The car was kinda beat up.

Very cool ride.

DopeStar 156
04-05-06, 01:25 AM
This one just has a simple painted roof which I kinda like actually. No worries, I'm not trading my Cadillac for it and since the Chevy is in my dad's name that's out too, plus I need a commuter car.... I wanna drive the thing and talk to the guy. I do want it, I love the front of the car, but not such a fan of the back end. I don't like how the tail lights are behind that metal thing. Does anyone have a picture of that back end all lit up? I thought I saw once that the brake lights and turn signals are those horizontal ones under the trunk lid?! Is this true?!?!?

davesdeville
04-05-06, 03:44 AM
This one just has a simple painted roof which I kinda like actually. No worries, I'm not trading my Cadillac for it and since the Chevy is in my dad's name that's out too, plus I need a commuter car.... I wanna drive the thing and talk to the guy. I do want it, I love the front of the car, but not such a fan of the back end. I don't like how the tail lights are behind that metal thing. Does anyone have a picture of that back end all lit up? I thought I saw once that the brake lights and turn signals are those horizontal ones under the trunk lid?! Is this true?!?!?

First of all $3900 is pretty steep unless it's in excellant condition and then some.

I do like the Calais because most or all do not have the vinyl (my 75 doesn't have the vinyl either... since it was all cracked when I got it and I've since peeled it off.) So no worries about cracking tops or rust under it.

The car is similar to my 75, except it still has the round headlights, different front turn signals, grille, and opera windows. The lights under where the trunklid closes and the lights on the ends of the fins of my 75 light up, I know the big ones under the trunklid act as brake lights and for the life of me I can't remember if they act as turn signals as well (I think so but I'm not sure.) I know the fin ones are running/tail lights and signals but I can't remember if they're brakelights or not... :bighead:

DopeStar 156
04-05-06, 07:04 AM
Do you have a pic of it all lit up? Can you even see the tail lights behind those metal bars?! I'm sure $3,900 is negotiable.... I'm sure a car that big with a 472 isn't gonna sell very well with the way the gas has been lately. $2.35 a gallon is the cheapest I've seen.

Sandy
04-05-06, 08:52 AM
I's REALLY nice! Some hard-core collector would go nuts over it!

Buy it, Dope, but hard as it might be for you - try & keep it original. It's just TOO RARE to mod-out. You'll especially enjoy it commuting to school when gas hits three bucks a gall. :rant2:

DopeStar 156
04-05-06, 09:07 AM
I's REALLY nice! Some hard-core collector would go nuts over it!

Buy it, Dope, but hard as it might be for you - try & keep it original. It's just TOO RARE to mod-out. You'll especially enjoy it commuting to school when gas hits three bucks a gall. :rant2:
Ahhh there he is! I was wonderin' when you were gonna chime in. Actually I'm not a big modder... I like everything about it (With the exception of that funny ass rear end) so I would leave it alone. Maybe I'd add some pinstriping and if I happen to crap out a wad of money maybe paint it another color. (Black?) It looks like it's all original though, I saw some tiny ammounts of rust near the chrome molding around the back window but that was really it. Interior was great, seats are mint and that cloth looks durable and long lasting. However another question.... No tilt wheel in that thing?! I got in there and had to move the seat back significantly (Six foot tall and I have three foot long legs) and the bottom of the steering wheel was hitting the top of my legs. I only saw the shift lever and the turn signal lever, nothing to move the column up or down. It had a joint in it that looked like a teloscopic joint but nothing for that either. I know it was entry level but, Jesus do I have to steer with my legs too? I thought the gagues in that thing were downright beautiful. The unpolished metal speedometer that I'm guessing the numbers and needle are backlit looked great. Sandy, why not hit us up with some of those numbers you're so famous for?

Also.... How is "Calais" pronounced? I've been saying either "Cal-is" like the hard thing you get on your foot or "Ca-lay-iss" almost sounding like a Greek god or something like that....

fleetwood76
04-05-06, 09:22 AM
hello
I'm not sure but i think it is like on my -76 that the horizontal lights is rearlights and both turn and brake lights and the vertical ones is a positions light and it is no fiberoptic cables going to the vertical lights to monitor the rear lights, so the fiber cable go to the horizontal light.
i have added some links to pics of my car with lighted rear lights this is only the running lights, i did't have have a pic with my turn or brake light on.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/3477/cat/500/perpage/20/sort/3/ppuser/20432

http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/4635/cat/500/perpage/20/sort/3/ppuser/20432

http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/4636/cat/500/perpage/20/sort/3/ppuser/20432

Jolle

90Brougham350
04-05-06, 09:34 AM
As far as I know, "Calais" is pronounced "cale-LAY" or "call-LAY", something like that. I might be wrong though!

Brian

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-05-06, 09:36 AM
Hmmm those ARE neat taillights!

Ca-lay-us is how I prononunce it. Its named after a city in France. After Cadillac got rid of the Calais in '77, Oldsmobile applied the name to the smallest Cutlasses in the mid 80s.

DopeStar 156
04-05-06, 09:42 AM
Ewwwww I don't like the way that lights up at all..... That doesn't look right....

davesdeville
04-05-06, 11:38 AM
Do you have a pic of it all lit up? Can you even see the tail lights behind those metal bars?! I'm sure $3,900 is negotiable.... I'm sure a car that big with a 472 isn't gonna sell very well with the way the gas has been lately. $2.35 a gallon is the cheapest I've seen.

The tail lights are visible at night. Very visible from the side, visible enough from behind. Wish I could remember how they all light up... but I don't really drive behind my own car very often. I personally like them.

I pronounce Calais as "cal-lay" or maybe even "kal-leigh." Try to be as French as possible when saying it. :thumbsup:

Gas here is in the 2.60 range... :thepan:

fleetwood76
04-05-06, 12:02 PM
Hello
So far i know is my rear lights completly orginal even to the american standard. My car was imported to Sweden as a "moving object" and therefor it does not have to meet the Swedish or Europeean rules for amber turnlights and kilometres graded speedo for example, and with that i am very pleesed. I'm not sure witch years that had this type of rear end, but i think it only was about this years -74, -75 and -76 and of cuorse, it is personal what one prefer. I add a link to a pic where my fathers -87 brougham and my -76 fleetwood stand besides one and other. They are both dirty and my father had his winter rims on. I can agree that the -87 rearlights look more Caddilacish than the -76, but i personally like the way my -76 look almost roofchopped compared with the -87.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/3475/cat/500/perpage/20/sort/3/ppuser/20432

About the tilt and telescope wheel on the Calais.- it is one of those things that was not a standard equippment on the Calais.
I once went to look on a -74 coupe deville for sale, that car did't have a tilt wheel either but at that time i had't done any reserch, so i'm not sure if the car was a rebadged Calais to a Deville or if it was a poor equipped Deville.

edit: forgot the link

jolle

brougham_geezer
04-05-06, 01:02 PM
As for how to say "Calais," davesdeville is correct for sure. It's Cal-ay. It's French and believe me, that "S" is silent. Really neat car Dope, you should pick it up if at all possible. Keep 'er original too. She'd be a real hit at shows! I love that interior too. Keep us posted and snap some more pics! :thumbsup:

85_fleetwood
04-05-06, 01:12 PM
Ca-lay-us is how I prononunce it

I've heard it pronounced that way. I think that's how it's supposed to be pronounced?

sizanjdf
04-05-06, 03:58 PM
Ive got a pick of my 74 taillights, On mine the horizontal ones do all the work, the ones in the fins are just running lights.

Cadboy425
04-05-06, 05:16 PM
Dope u should get it its really nice. And they are willing to trade for damaged late model car? Any cheap hurricane Katrina cars out there?

Sandy
04-05-06, 06:09 PM
Dope, I've been way busy & have not had much time to bounch around in all the different rooms in this "house" ~ Yes, the "Sssss" is silent - Ya know the nmae Calvin? Will ya take the Cal of Calvin & put that Cal together with "lay" ~ as In Cal got laid! Making CAL-LAY.

If you pin stripe, use tape not paint. No doubt an interesting car !

BTW, 2,324 of the 4-Door Hardtops were made for 1974 !!

Night Wolf
04-05-06, 06:24 PM
Ahhh there he is! I was wonderin' when you were gonna chime in. Actually I'm not a big modder... I like everything about it (With the exception of that funny ass rear end) so I would leave it alone. Maybe I'd add some pinstriping and if I happen to crap out a wad of money maybe paint it another color. (Black?) It looks like it's all original though, I saw some tiny ammounts of rust near the chrome molding around the back window but that was really it. Interior was great, seats are mint and that cloth looks durable and long lasting. However another question.... No tilt wheel in that thing?! I got in there and had to move the seat back significantly (Six foot tall and I have three foot long legs) and the bottom of the steering wheel was hitting the top of my legs. I only saw the shift lever and the turn signal lever, nothing to move the column up or down. It had a joint in it that looked like a teloscopic joint but nothing for that either. I know it was entry level but, Jesus do I have to steer with my legs too? I thought the gagues in that thing were downright beautiful. The unpolished metal speedometer that I'm guessing the numbers and needle are backlit looked great. Sandy, why not hit us up with some of those numbers you're so famous for?

Also.... How is "Calais" pronounced? I've been saying either "Cal-is" like the hard thing you get on your foot or "Ca-lay-iss" almost sounding like a Greek god or something like that....

Calais is pretty much said Clay, with an "uhh" between the C and L.

Like an Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais.

Man.... ya'll need to take some night time photo lessons :).

CoupeDevilleRob
04-05-06, 07:10 PM
You don't like the rear lights? I always though they were kinda cool. I never was a fan of the front end of the 74's, the round headlights in the square bezels never looked right to me. Then again I grew up using a 75 Coupe deVille as the definition of what a car should be (same body but with square headlights). Go for it, I'd kill for a car like that. I really want a 75 or 76 Coupe deVille, preferably a 75 just like the one below.

Bro-Ham
04-05-06, 10:41 PM
Hi,

Forget the "s" in the pronunciation. It is Kal-a. The "a" is as in "ape."

The car looks great! Get it and enjoy it since that is a super cool looking car that I would feel confident in saying you won't see another one like it and being a true individual is priceless! :-)

Dave

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-05-06, 11:30 PM
Yeah, Dope, its very fitting for you..now if we could just paint it black and red...

DopeStar 156
04-06-06, 12:02 AM
Can be done!

gdwriter
04-06-06, 12:04 AM
That car needs to go to a good home, especially considering how rare and original it is. Doesn't sound like you've driven it yet, have you?

If it drives as nice as it looks and you can afford to buy it, I hope you do. With your love and appreciation for vintage Cadillacs, you'll give this car the respect it deserves.

A couple of other posts have mentioned that the price seems a bit high. It is. NADAguides.com (http://www.nadaguides.com) lists values for classic cars, so I looked up a '74 Cadillac Calais. I've attached a copy, but the value ranges from $1,145 to $3,450.

Given the car's low mileage and what appears to be excellent condition for a 32 year-old-car, it's definitely on the high end of the scale. I'd show the seller the NADA Guide report and offer him $3,500. If he doesn't biteŚand you're willing to risk letting it get awayŚwait a couple of weeks, and if the car's still there, make another offer.

Keep us posted. I expect to see a test drive report.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
04-06-06, 12:12 AM
Yeah...I wanna see a comparison of this to your '89!!

Its like this:
http://supertankers.topcities.com/08220560.jpg

The '74 is the ship in the foreground, the Jahre Viking (longest moving thing on planet, 1504 feet long) and the '89 is the ship in the backround!

DopeStar 156
04-06-06, 01:19 AM
Hahaha it didn't feel any bigger than I'm used to.... We'll see after I take it out for a spin.

TeagueJT81
04-06-06, 07:51 AM
I can get a picture of the Fleetwood lit up tonight if you'd like, the back ends look about the same. The horizontal lights are both your brake lights and turn signals, the vertical ones are only marker lights as far as I know. Changing the bulbs in them is actually pretty easy, the red lens unscrews and the bulbs are angled to make them easier to get at. I'll get a photo of that too if you'd like it.

EDIT: Someone already put them up. I didn't read the whole thing before I posted...