Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Jesda 
#1 ·
I have been buying and selling cars on the side since undergraduate, and usually stick to Cadillacs and Lincolns.

Well last week I could not resist buying this 1 owner garage kept 1998 Jaguar XJ8L. The car has a huge stack of records and a new transmission. Runs like a dream. My brother is trying to buy it from me if he can sell his DTS before the Jag sells.
The 290hp 4.0 liter V8 is a SLUG. This car is made for cruising in the rear seat.. not for the driving experience. I am very impressed with the overall fit and finish of everything. The sunroof is so quiet when opened at highway speeds and the leather is top notch. The handling is OK, but nothing compared to the 7 series and S class. This car gets looks everywhere though and this Saturday I had the day off so we went out to South Beach and pretended to be big shots ;) (In the Fleetwood everyone just thinks we are Mafia).
Being my first Jaguar purchase, I just thought to pass the info along. Make sure you get records if you buy one of these cars because they are notorious for electrical and mechanical problems. Luckily this one had most issues addressed before I purchased it.
I also picked up a set of XJR wheels for it to enhance the sale. Should look amazing once I slap them on. Hopefully my brother can buy it from me because it is in spectacular shape.
Pics:

Oh well, time to hit the books again.... it is finals week now that this family med rotation is over.

BTW, my driveway looks crazy right now. A house with 3 med students has a Jaguar, Cadillac, Buick, and Infiniti out front!

Take care!
-Elias

See less See more
#4 ·
Nothing wrong with that at all!

Very nice, and yeah I agree it's a slug. But a damn comfortable one. Beautiful, too--Jag has always had the best-looking cars on the road, IMO. My mother-in-law has a gold Vanden Plas, I think it's a 2001 model.

The only thing I don't like is the front seats aren't as large as they should be.

#5 ·
I miss our Jag. It wasn't as modern as that but ALL XJs are beautiful, even the XJ40. For the cost those Jags like yours are amazing, I want one at some point.

Ours was a 1991 Series III XJ12 in British Racing Green, with grey leather interior and Pepperpot Alloy Wheels.

Dad got it new in 91 and kept it until 2000. It didnt have much wrong with it in that time, surprsingly, but it was VERy thirsty with a 5.3 V12.

Not ours but IDENTICAL

#6 ·
Very nice Elias, but I'm surprised that it feels slow with that 290hp 4.0 in there!

#7 ·
EcSTSatic said:
One of my ideas that still lingers is to drop a Chevy 350 in a Jag. I think the combination would work really well.
Not an uncommon swap, actually, I've seen a few on ebay from time to time, usually Vortec or TBI 350. I wouldn't mind a Jag with one of those!

#8 ·
My father has always wanted an XJ too, even an older one because "put a 350 in it" (that's his answer to everything, though).

Looks like a terrific car and I am very jealous! Especially since some of those gen can be picked up fairly cheaply, and are a REALLY great deal if you have all the records like you got.

Now...go study! Like I'm one to talk--finals week in December was when I found my '95 on the internet and my lack of attention got even worse:rolleyes:

#11 ·
what infiniti do you have??? :)

Nice jag though, ii like the XJ8..... 1998 should be clear of any nikasil issues, i think it was just the 95-96 years for most cars.

#14 ·
Jesda said:
Uhh, nikasil?
If you are talking about the tensioners, yes they have been replaced along with most of the other common problems with the 4.0 liter (I have $8K in receipts over the last 2.5 years... which is close to what I paid for the car).

I am really not used to a car this quiet anymore. I am used to the deep throaty Borla on the Fleetwood... I almost bore myself to death driving this Jaguar! :eek:

Any takers for $9950, hehe? :thumbsup:

#16 ·
The previous owner even documented every time he put gas.. Premium at all times. Thank god this is not my daily driver... my Fleetwood is still on 87 octane for now, I enjoy saving the .21 cents per gallon.

#19 ·
Jesda and Wes, do the E38 740's have the Nikasil cylinder linings too, or just the 750's?

#20 ·
the 750 wasnt effected i thought,i thought it was just the 95 740

#24 ·
Zorb750 said:
No nikasil on the 4.0 V8.

Jag and BMW both dropped it at about the same time. BMW's last engine was 1995 using that. (4.0 V8, 3.0 V8)

BMW motorcycle engines still use it. They never had issues...
No, AJ V8 engines through 2000 are affected.

Take your VIN to the dealer and see if yours has been replaced at some point with one that has cast-iron linings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.