: All Guys who Drive WRX STIs Have Hairy Palms

VDiddy
04-03-06, 11:47 PM
.... from fantasizing about driving Vs. Had two of these squirrels staring at my V in the last week. They must be getting tired of that VW Bug sound and lack of female attention. :stirpot:

Imperator
04-04-06, 12:46 AM
Worst exhaust note of any current production car.. with the 350Z/G35 coupe a close second. Sounds like a damn outboard boat motor.

What part of Austin do you call home? I'm still looking for a new job/change of life/opportunity to move down there.

thefly
04-04-06, 07:50 AM
.... from fantasizing about driving Vs. Had two of these squirrels staring at my V in the last week. They must be getting tired of that VW Bug sound and lack of female attention. :stirpot:

i don't know about the lack of female attention, but i will say the exhaust note wore on you after a while. i missed the sound of a nice V8 till i bought my v last dec.

DrivingAmericanNow
04-04-06, 07:50 AM
Hey, give STi/EVO guys a brake, their cars are so ugly and their fart-can exhausts sound so impotent, that they scare all the girls away.

Either they learn to "love" eachother, or they date Mary Palm. The ones without hairy palms are the ones you need to watch out for.

nikon
04-04-06, 09:05 AM
I dont really see a problem with the Evo, my girlfriend wanted one as a daily beater :crybaby:

V-Max
04-04-06, 09:07 AM
Then there is the V8 Scoobys!

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380239

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

C5 frame lift-off photos, frame, rolling gear....

http://www.beretta.net/board/ib3/ik...;r=1;&#entry178

Norm

m3driver
04-04-06, 10:19 AM
[quote=Imperator]Worst exhaust note of any current production car.. with the 350Z/G35 coupe a close second. Sounds like a damn outboard boat motor.quote]

bahaha! It truly is bad. Damn near went deaf driving one in a enduro race for a 3 hour stint. Everytime the crew chief radio'ed me I'd have to lift off the throttle to hear what he was saying.

http://www.justracing.com/images/misc/25hour/turn14_big.jpg

Same car will be dicing it up in Long Beach with the caddies this month.

Marco
my palms aren't hairy

10secvette
04-04-06, 10:21 AM
Properly driven + mild mods will hand MOST V's their azz on the street.

pcwelty
04-04-06, 11:02 AM
Well the 2 V's I smoked heard my exhaust pretty well and seen nothing but my tail lights. I also heard those that need big V-8's are trying to make up for their lack of size somewhere else :stirpot:

GreenMachine
04-04-06, 11:08 AM
Well the 2 V's I smoked heard my exhaust pretty well and seen nothing but my tail lights. I also heard those that need big V-8's are trying to make up for their lack of size somewhere else :stirpot:

guessing your not running stock.

But I always fall back on this, a small import with mods will met and possibly beat a V-8, a V-8 with mods will met and possibly beat a supercar.

The CTS-V offers room, luxury, and power, while those offer only part of that, if the only reason to buy a V was to get its performance, a base Corvette or GTO would have been suffice....and soon, maybe, hopefully, they'll bring back the biggest bang for ones buck, the Camaro, heck right now the Mustang is selling real nice simply because its under 26 thousand for 300horses.

DrivingAmericanNow

I didn't say rice buggies were slow, I said they were ugly and that they sounded bad. Congrats on your two victories. :thumbsup:

VDiddy
I always let the WRX drivers win because it makes one nervous when they 're behind me! :histeric:

Gordy Petrovski
04-04-06, 12:28 PM
Like I said,with enough $$$ U can make a terd fast but in the end it's still a TERD!!!!

nikon
04-04-06, 01:21 PM
Like I said,with enough $$$ U can make a terd fast but in the end it's still a TERD!!!!

hehe, srt-4 comes to mind :bouncy:

crypto_coyle79
04-04-06, 02:53 PM
[quote=Imperator]Worst exhaust note of any current production car.. with the 350Z/G35 coupe a close second. Sounds like a damn outboard boat motor.

I would have to differ on that 350/g35 note. I think they have one of the best note on any car under $80000

Imperator
04-04-06, 03:08 PM
I would have to differ on that 350/g35 note. I think they have one of the best note on any car under $80000

They sound like a friggin kazoo. Less mechanical and more "musical" if anything; if their goal was to achieve an exotic-like sound, it's missing something in the gonad dept.

CTS-VPaco
04-04-06, 03:34 PM
I'm partial to the exhaust note of the boxer 4. I love imports. Shit, I love cars. I do get alot of props for my V when I go hang out with the homies on the block. W3rd!11

Seriously, that WRX better bring some sauce for the big American cars in the GT series. The Skyline GTR, which I had high hopes for, is getting its ass kicked. I haven't watched much of the GT series, but the bitch I did catch, the poor Nissan wasn't running in the top 20.

The WRX is bad ass, tho'. Huge, wide wheels, big fender flares and turbo. Things that make me go "BOING!!!"

thebigjimsho
04-04-06, 03:44 PM
Boxer 4s are interesting beasts. They can sound like crap with fartcans. They can sound downright mean with the right plumbing.

Personally, I'm just glad that I scraped enough money to be among the richest people in the world. Oh wait, nevermind. There are E55 and M5 drivers that laugh at us and may mock our crude little $50k sports sedan. I'm just glad I can appreciate any car that is entertaining and a joy to drive without the need of self-empowerment.

thebigjimsho
04-04-06, 03:45 PM
Also, I am a fan of the Nissan V6 exhaust note.

GT04CTS-V
04-04-06, 04:05 PM
Hummm WRX with a tune and exhaust - 1/4 mile ET 13.03, traction isn't a problem either, nor is wheel - ah never mind.

GT

Devil_concours
04-04-06, 05:37 PM
i actually love the mean boxer engine noise.

ace996
04-04-06, 06:11 PM
Properly driven + mild mods will hand MOST V's their azz on the street.

True that!!! And let's not talk about the autox or roadcourses...Imagine having AWD, 3200lbs, 275s on all four corners, and over a dozen proven suspension solutions to choose from....

sad that the thread started as a bashing...I have much respect for the STEvos, amazing vehicles at even double their price.

:thehand:

CVP33
04-04-06, 06:27 PM
The spec B Legacy would be my choice. With all the aftermarket crossover, you could sneak up on just about anything in one of those. The styling is a little more my speed as well.

Vendetta-V-
04-04-06, 08:03 PM
True that!!! And let's not talk about the autox or roadcourses...Imagine having AWD, 3200lbs, 275s on all four corners, and over a dozen proven suspension solutions to choose from....

sad that the thread started as a bashing...I have much respect for the STEvos, amazing vehicles at even double their price.

:thehand:

Their ride quality is crap. Like someone else mentioned...there's all out performance (EVO / STi / Cobra), then there's the quality mix of luxury & performance (CTS-V / IS 300 / M5). It's all a matter of choice and to hit on one or the other is pure ignorance as it's apples vs. oranges (not a hit on you, just using your quote to shape my comment).

ace996
04-04-06, 09:04 PM
Their ride quality is crap. Like someone else mentioned...there's all out performance (EVO / STi / Cobra), then there's the quality mix of luxury & performance (CTS-V / IS 300 / M5). It's all a matter of choice and to hit on one or the other is pure ignorance as it's apples vs. oranges (not a hit on you, just using your quote to shape my comment).

I hear you, and agree fully with your opinion. The two cars, or types of cars, are so different that a comparo is not reasonable. I was all set to pull the trigger on an STi prior to the V, but the LS6 pulled me with more alure. Really, I didn't get the V because of the luxury aspect...but it's a nice benefit. I bought the V because of it's "rip-yer-nuts-off" attitude and performance, great looks and that it could double as an executive car.

In 11 months, I've gone from loving to hating to loving to hating the V...the diff/tranny problems have killed my relationship. I have regrets that I didn't go with my original choice from the start but I'm happy I experienced the meanest American sedan to ever hit the pavement.

Yes, the V and STEvos are completely different animals...each with it's own positives and negatives. It is a great world we live in when reasonably affordable sedans can perform with the likes of dedicated sports cars. With a little more attention to the V's engineering issues, I very much believe it will be a car people talk about years from now ...in the same conversations of Shelby Cobras, GTOs, 'Cudas, and other classics. It's that great...almost.

-ace

Vendetta-V-
04-04-06, 09:32 PM
I hear you, and agree fully with your opinion. The two cars, or types of cars, are so different that a comparo is not reasonable. I was all set to pull the trigger on an STi prior to the V, but the LS6 pulled me with more alure. Really, I didn't get the V because of the luxury aspect...but it's a nice benefit. I bought the V because of it's "rip-yer-nuts-off" attitude and performance, great looks and that it could double as an executive car.

In 11 months, I've gone from loving to hating to loving to hating the V...the diff/tranny problems have killed my relationship. I have regrets that I didn't go with my original choice from the start but I'm happy I experienced the meanest American sedan to ever hit the pavement.

Yes, the V and STEvos are completely different animals...each with it's own positives and negatives. It is a great world we live in when reasonably affordable sedans can perform with the likes of dedicated sports cars. With a little more attention to the V's engineering issues, I very much believe it will be a car people talk about years from now ...in the same conversations of Shelby Cobras, GTOs, 'Cudas, and other classics. It's that great...almost.

-ace

I went onto the Subaru website to price out a fully loaded STi after my original post and it stickered for over $35k. Even fully loaded, this STi still doesn't come close to the V in amenities or overall ride quality. Me...I think the extra $10k for a hell of a lot more car was worth it. Despite the issues with your V, for what ever it's worth I think you made a great choice.:highfive:

ChicagoCTS32
04-04-06, 09:32 PM
The spec B Legacy would be my choice. With all the aftermarket crossover, you could sneak up on just about anything in one of those. The styling is a little more my speed as well.

:yeah:

That legacy would be sweet. Slightly cushier ride than the a$$ beating from STEvo's, but almost all the juice.

ace996
04-04-06, 10:48 PM
I went onto the Subaru website to price out a fully loaded STi after my original post and it stickered for over $35k. Even fully loaded, this STi still doesn't come close to the V in amenities or overall ride quality. Me...I think the extra $10k for a hell of a lot more car was worth it. Despite the issues with your V, for what ever it's worth I think you made a great choice.:highfive:

They're going out the door for very low $30Ks. Sure, if one can find a new V for mid$40s, and racecar performance is secondary to some luxury, then it's a great deal. A good difference in cash..about $15K with my math, but still VERY different cars.

As far as my story, over 50 days in service for 11months of ownership...and my 3rd diff ('06) is SCREAMING...the tranny has no more fluid in it (total leak-out). I can't agree with the "good choice", neither does my attorney...:eek:
But I still have love for it...like the beautiful stripper that we know isn't good for us but we still see her as much as possible.

It all depends on what you want...there's a car for it.
-ace

V-Max
04-05-06, 06:45 AM
ace, owning a Ducati I figured the STi would win you over with it's boxer, V-twinesque exhaust pulses. :)

Norm - V8 only!
http://www.beretta.net/board/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=9;t=261;st=180

They're going out the door for very low $30Ks. Sure, if one can find a new V for mid$40s, and racecar performance is secondary to some luxury, then it's a great deal. A good difference in cash..about $15K with my math, but still VERY different cars....

ace

GreenMachine
04-05-06, 09:36 AM
They're going out the door for very low $30Ks. Sure, if one can find a new V for mid$40s, and racecar performance is secondary to some luxury, then it's a great deal. A good difference in cash..about $15K with my math, but still VERY different cars.

As far as my story, over 50 days in service for 11months of ownership...and my 3rd diff ('06) is SCREAMING...the tranny has no more fluid in it (total leak-out). I can't agree with the "good choice", neither does my attorney...:eek:
But I still have love for it...like the beautiful stripper that we know isn't good for us but we still see her as much as possible.

It all depends on what you want...there's a car for it.
-ace

wow your V sounds like a nightmare. Its a shame that a limited production sedan that is supposingly put together under the best conditions has this happen. Some say its "the driver" simply because the people who can offord these cars aren't used to "stick" (in some cases I may agree with that) but all that failing on a car is beyond redicoulous. Maybe Cadillac should test them like Chevy tests the Corvette, run it over and over for a few 24 hour non-stop runs, they find a problem creat a solution, it almost sounds like the cars on the road are all CTS-V test cars.

You can say that more people with problems then w/o post on here, but the truth is there simply isn't that many actually out there as its limited production, I've loved going to dealer and looking at this car and watching and listening to it when they move it around, but it begins to make one wonder what truely is going on with them. Maybe this is what happens when you put the parts of other GM Brands under the body of a Cadillac.

m3driver
04-05-06, 09:46 AM
I'm partial to the exhaust note of the boxer 4. I love imports. Shit, I love cars. I do get alot of props for my V when I go hang out with the homies on the block. W3rd!11

Seriously, that WRX better bring some sauce for the big American cars in the GT series. The Skyline GTR, which I had high hopes for, is getting its ass kicked. I haven't watched much of the GT series, but the bitch I did catch, the poor Nissan wasn't running in the top 20.

The WRX is bad ass, tho'. Huge, wide wheels, big fender flares and turbo. Things that make me go "BOING!!!"

yeah it's going to tough trying to decide who to root for. The car I drive every day, or the car I drove in the NASA 25hour enduro. Here's a link to the same car in its WC GT livery.

http://www.esxmotorsports.com/roadracing.htm

I wish Gary luck. I don't expect a ton since it's the first race and they are doing it on a shoestring.

Marco

trekster
04-05-06, 09:57 AM
I don't know why people are saying that the sti's are ugly. I think they're nice looking cars. There one of the only 4 banger cars that I have respect for.

Blackout
04-05-06, 01:54 PM
It's amazing listening to some of you guys. When I read this...

I went onto the Subaru website to price out a fully loaded STi after my original post and it stickered for over $35k. Even fully loaded, this STi still doesn't come close to the V in amenities or overall ride quality. I almost fell of my chair laughing. Are you really comparing a luxury sports car to a pocket rocket? Well who would have thunk that one!? A luxury car having more gizmo's and gadgets then a out of the box race car. The reason why the ride quality sucks is because it's a tight race suspension and if you want the best handling you get what kind of suspension? The STI's and Evo's are some of the best bang for the buck cars out there. The boxer engine with a nice quality exhaust sounds amazing. I see this kid drive by damn near everyday with a black WRX with a nice exhaust on it. It almost sounds like a V8. It has a nice deep throaty sound to it. And who ever said the VQ35DE engine sounds like crap deserves to get smacked. That exhaust note i could listen to all day long and never get tired of it. But between that CTS-V and the STI I think anybody with half a brain would take the STI over the CTS-V for racing purposes (auto-x or drag racing). For $30k it's performance doesn't justify it's price tag. If you were looking at performance numbers alone that car should be a $40k+ car. In most cases the STI's will beat a CTS-V stock for stock in every performance catagory.

2004 Cadillac CTS-V
0-60: 5.1
1/4: 13.4

2006 Subaru WRX STI
0-60: 4.5
1/4: 13.0

Imperator
04-05-06, 02:17 PM
And who ever said the VQ35DE engine sounds like crap deserves to get smacked. That exhaust note i could listen to all day long and never get tired of it.

YOUR joking, right? :histeric: I said the VQ35DE sounds like crap, especially from the G35's "tuned" stock exhaust. I admit it sounds better uncorked though. Have fun listening to your kazoo all day long. :alchi:

Blackout
04-05-06, 04:46 PM
YOUR joking, right? :histeric: I said the VQ35DE sounds like crap, especially from the G35's "tuned" stock exhaust. I admit it sounds better uncorked though. Have fun listening to your kazoo all day long. :alchi:Do you even have a clue as to what you are talking about? Some of you guys are all over the place when it comes to why STI's "suck" when in actuality you probably have very little if no knowledge about them at all. It sounds like some of you got butt hurt against one so now your only refuge is coming on here are talking crap about the car and their owners. In other words you guys are lame. :tsucks:

Blackout
04-05-06, 04:48 PM
Personally, I'm just glad that I scraped enough money to be among the richest people in the world. Oh wait, nevermind. There are E55 and M5 drivers that laugh at us and may mock our crude little $50k sports sedan. I'm just glad I can appreciate any car that is entertaining and a joy to drive without the need of self-empowerment.I couldn't have said it better myself. Some of you need to grow up

Vendetta-V-
04-05-06, 05:01 PM
It's amazing listening to some of you guys. When I read this...

I almost fell of my chair laughing. Are you really comparing a luxury sports car to a pocket rocket? Well who would have thunk that one!? A luxury car having more gizmo's and gadgets then a out of the box race car. The reason why the ride quality sucks is because it's a tight race suspension and if you want the best handling you get what kind of suspension? The STI's and Evo's are some of the best bang for the buck cars out there. The boxer engine with a nice quality exhaust sounds amazing. I see this kid drive by damn near everyday with a black WRX with a nice exhaust on it. It almost sounds like a V8. It has a nice deep throaty sound to it. And who ever said the VQ35DE engine sounds like crap deserves to get smacked. That exhaust note i could listen to all day long and never get tired of it. But between that CTS-V and the STI I think anybody with half a brain would take the STI over the CTS-V for racing purposes (auto-x or drag racing). For $30k it's performance doesn't justify it's price tag. If you were looking at performance numbers alone that car should be a $40k+ car. In most cases the STI's will beat a CTS-V stock for stock in every performance catagory.

2004 Cadillac CTS-V
0-60: 5.1
1/4: 13.4

2006 Subaru WRX STI
0-60: 4.5
1/4: 13.0

Quoting me out of context...yeah, that's real grown up.:bigroll: Why don't you read my ENTIRE conversation (that you butted into) with ACE and you will see I said comparing STi to the V is apples to oranges for the same reason you aptly reiterated above.:yawn:

Blackout
04-05-06, 05:47 PM
Quoting me out of context...yeah, that's real grown up.:bigroll: Why don't you read my ENTIRE conversation (that you butted into) with ACE and you will see I said comparing STi to the V is apples to oranges for the same reason you aptly reiterated above.:yawn:
This is what I was reffering too.

Even fully loaded, this STi still doesn't come close to the V in amenities or overall ride quality. Basically the way you came off was that you were knocking the STI saying that because it didn't have the amount of amenities or the overall ride quality makes a lesser of a car. Whether you meant it that way or not that was how I saw your post and that was how I responded to it. But pretty much after going through your posts I didn't see one positive remark about the STI. All I saw was you knocking it about its ride quality

Vendetta-V-
04-05-06, 06:36 PM
If it makes you feel better, I know two people who own one and run them at the track all the time with my IS.

I don't need to compliment that car...they speak for themselves. The bottom quote where I talked about amenities or overall ride quality was in the context of making ACE feel better that he bought a V instead of the STi :)

ace996
04-05-06, 08:38 PM
Now...now...no need for all the fuss, we all have our opinions and experiences. And for what it's worth..which isn't much these days...mine is this:
-if one were looking for the best "bang-for-the-buck" corner carver, light-to-light racer, autoxer, track-ho, snow blasting, embarass most vehicles in the dry/wet/snow...then the STI is the deal. It doesn't try to be a luxury car, or a hybrid of anything other than a racecar/streetcar. Its pretty focused and makes no excuses.
-if one were looking for a demon-wrath sedan with class, that could bit#ch slap most vehicles on the road while still hauling a family in comfortable beauty...the V is it.

They are both great, one just needs a little more engineering work...you know , to work out the bugs.
-ace

Devil_concours
04-05-06, 08:51 PM
um everyone is allowed express their opinions.
sound, looks and such are subjective.
As for performance quotes, both cars are very close to each other. One mag will get better figures than other and vice versa.

bluetwo
04-21-06, 09:58 AM
Well it looks like the V is faster in a straight line. But it's not as good in inclimate weather. I drive a WRX and you can say what you want about my car, but the way I see it is at least it's a car and not an SUV. That said I respect all cars more than all SUV's and as far as I'm concerned we all share a passion for HP and fast cars.

As far as hairy palms.... well I am single but at least I can do what I want when I want. And I never have to follow a chick around the store like a lot of guys I see. :)

And... here's a link to Top Gears take on the V: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzLVhtfPf2w