Cadillac Owners Forum banner
4K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  gothicaleigh 
#1 ·
See less See more
#5 ·
W 124 is nice, but I really love the W140s and W126's!

G
#6 ·
Jesda said:
Back when MB was still building world-class cars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SsangYong_Chairman

http://www.smotor.com/en/showr...n.jsp

It lives on with a new body, built under license in Korea. Some components of the W124, which went into the W210, are in the 2005 Chrysler 300/300C.

One of these days I need to get a 500E. Every time my dad talks about his E320, I miss my 300E.
I had an 87 300E, great car. I am partial to the bigger S Class though, the W126 and W140. The 500E is the best of the W124's IMO but are getting a bit hard to find.

#8 ·
We use it as taxi cab in Europe...

#10 ·
Come on! Mercedes is just another diamond worn by wealthy (cheating) wives who express their concern with America's Economy by what they drive; German.

#13 ·
My dad's ex wife drove a W140 S320 for a short while, it belonged to her father, it was immense, really it was.

My Grandad currently has a W124 E300 Wagon in his garage, it's a 1989 and its off the road because its not in good condition, but hes slowly putting it back on the road and it'll be nice.

#14 ·
JCM1 said:
What is everyone's opinion of the Mercedes G-Class, the G500 or the G55 AMG?
Incredible performance considering the design. Quite possibly the ultimate sleeper.

Too bad they are so ugly. It's not a good sign when your closest imitator is a Scion.

(okay, that's a bit harsh, but I really find it hard to love the G-class design. Which is saying a lot seeing as I normally like squarish cars)

#15 ·
gothicaleigh said:
Incredible performance considering the design. Quite possibly the ultimate sleeper.

Too bad they are so ugly. It's not a good sign when your closest imitator is a Scion.

(okay, that's a bit harsh, but I really find it hard to love the G-class design. Which is saying a lot seeing as I normally like squarish cars)

I prefer the Land Rover Defender one hundered fold

#16 ·
I drove a 300E for about 2 months while I had my e30's engine rebuilt (I know, that's a rediculous amount of time). It drove smoothly, as was expected, but was definately not a "driver's car". That, and the fact the interior and exterior were color-matched in some god-awful cream/yellow hue, made me glad when I got my lovable little Bimmer back from the shop.

It would make a great daily driver, but "timeless"? I dunno...

#17 ·
The G-Class looks a lot tougher then a Scion. As far as the style it is definatly one of those vehicals you either love or hate. As far as the performance the AMG is very impressive considering the weight and flat front. I'll have to find the article, there was a automotive review of the AMG stating, "Mecedes once again proves that a barn door can accelerate to 130MPH." (electronicaly limited)
I personaly like the G because of its unique design and tough reputation. The G offers 4-ETS and ESP for normal conditions, wet roads, light snow, wet leaves, but for off-roading you can lock ALL THREE differentials. I always though this was pretty impressive set up. The Land Rover Defender offers a very similar set up but, sadly you can't get them in the States easily anymore.

#18 ·
JCM1 said:
The G-Class looks a lot tougher then a Scion. As far as the style it is definatly one of those vehicals you either love or hate. As far as the performance the AMG is very impressive considering the weight and flat front. I'll have to find the article, there was a automotive review of the AMG stating, "Mecedes once again proves that a barn door can accelerate to 130MPH." (electronicaly limited)
I personaly like the G because of its unique design and tough reputation. The G offers 4-ETS and ESP for normal conditions, wet roads, light snow, wet leaves, but for off-roading you can lock ALL THREE differentials. I always though this was pretty impressive set up. The Land Rover Defender offers a very similar set up but, sadly you can't get them in the States easily anymore.
That surprises me about the Defender, theyre great. The residuals are rediculously high too, we looked at one when we got the Trooper, and it was something like $4500 for a 1989 with about 2 million miles.

Then again, our 1995 Trooper is worth about $6,000 or more. The demand for these things here is unreal.

#19 ·
Has anyone here had a chance to drive the new 221? We had two at our school a few weeks ago, and they are absolutely SICK! From the sounds system to the navigation, even the new distronic+. This car is crazy. The two we had were both S550's. One of them even had the fully adjustable seats in the rear as well. We took them out for a test drive with our teacher and the guy from Jacksonville who came down to teach us about them (he was kind enough to put it in dyno mode for us:D ) Anyway, just thought I'd share my brief experience with the car. I've only seen two on the road as of yet.

#21 ·
I've seen one of the new S550s at a car wash in town, I think I did a triple take as a drove by. The only things I don't like about it are the humongus fenders, and the 7 series style dash.

What i'm really looking forward to is the 2007 SL65 AMG. 604hp and 738ft-lb @2000 rpm :eek:

#23 ·
There are mixed reviews on the SL65 AMG's and it is due to the 738 lb. ft. of torque. It is so much at such low RPM that it's usually unusable. The tires that Mecedes Benz uses are simply too small (285/30-19) and you end up with a smoke show and your car running sideways down the road even with traction control. The S65 and the CL65 suffer from the same issue however, not as much due to the increased weight. The vehical that probably benifits the most from this engine is the Maybach 57 S. Hopfully with the redesign of the SL, Mercedes Benz will increase the tire size so owners will have an easier time utilizing the power that the car has without having to employ such methods as airing down the tires and the use of grape juice.

#24 ·
The S65 can handle the power much better than the SL, or CL as well, due to it's larger size. Those car's get really out of control when Renntech or Brabus get a hold of one. They always find a way to squeeze a crap load more power out of them, as if they really needed it. You can pretty much order that engine package in almost any car too, as long as it fits between the fenders. A buddy of mine was at a local dealer down here in the Orlando area and came across a 211 with the twin-turbo V12 stuffed under the hood. Someone had special ordered it and was waiting to take delivery. Pretty sick.

#25 ·
JCM1 said:
and the use of grape juice.
Grape Juice, what does it do?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.