: Northstar Intakes

jadcock
03-20-03, 08:31 AM
I received an interesting email the other day from a gentleman who, after installing an open K&N filter on his Eldorado, got the same results as I did (little increased power, worse mileage). I found it interesting and wanted to share. Note: both my car and his car (to the best of my knowledge) have no other modifications. It is certainly advisable to make other mods to the vehicle to be able to achieve a performance increase with a K&N filter. The stock intake system is fully capable of supplying enough air to a stock engine. See my writeup on my homepage...this gentleman's email is below:

> > > Last night, while playing computer, I found your web site. I was
just
> > > two weeks too late. I have two 1993 Eldorado Cadillacs and have been
> > > working on the idea to do just what you did using the cone type K&N
> > > filter. I used an RF1015 which is slightly larger than what you used.
> > > This one had an inside flange diameter of four inches and a three inch
> > > ABS forty five degree sewer elbow fits like a glove into the K&N
filter.
> > > The other end fit into the stock tube to the throttle body. I also
> > > fashioned a box out of sheet metal and painted it with low gloss black
> > > engine paint to put around the filter. We took a quick trip up to
> > > Wheatland Wyoming from our home here in Lakewood Colorado to test the
> > > installation. I too found the mileage to be a bit less than before.
The
> > > engine did not seem to have any more performance but did it sound
great.
> > > If I had found your web site sooner it would have saved me about 70
> > > dollars. After I read your report I went to the garage and put the
stock
> > > air box back in.
> > > Do you think the K&N filter that replaces the AC 1096C stock filter
> > > would have some benefit even though you say it does not filter as well
> > > as the stock application. I have a friend in Virginia that has also
> > > wanted to modify his Eldorado as well. We will both be watching your
web
> > > site for more good information. I will try to send a picture of my
> > > attempt at what you did.

Katshot
03-28-03, 04:13 PM
I would suggest that there is more than meets the eye in this case. There will certainly be a "slight" MPG change but that would only be temporary due to the PCM compensating for the different filter. Changing an air intake as was done in the email, could have an adverse affect on the airstream and could therefore negatively affect the part-throttle performance. Without "seeing" his installation it's very hard to make a firm comment on his resulting MPG decrease.

ljklaiber
03-28-03, 04:51 PM
One More Time!

The first , BEST Mod to any engine..is to blow down the EXHAUST side...i.e true duallies and less restrictive mufflers. After that you put more pressure on the inlet side. Boost or other fresh air mods induction by seduction with cam profiles etc!!!!

Dump the burnt fuel first! This is exhausting!
ljk

kcnewell
03-28-03, 06:18 PM
I'm exhausted just readin' it!

Brett
03-28-03, 06:48 PM
maybe my seat of the pants meter is out of whack, but ive never felt any kind of difference with a K&N...if you can shave a few hudredths at the track, i guess its worth it, but i guess i have a different perception of a cadillac than some other people, cause i dont see the point.

speedyguy
06-25-03, 07:41 PM
CAI with forced flow commonly called ram air. There are a few kits but most are built custom.

Really for the K&N cone deal it is better to use water injection or a co2 kit to cool the air. The Co2 kits are alot more fun and cheaper.

Ty

Katshot
06-25-03, 08:20 PM
The big issue about something like the K&N kit is that you must understand that when you're dealing with a computerized engine management system that uses a MAF ( Mass Air Flow) sensor, as airflow increases, the computer WILL add fuel to keep the A/F ratio 14.7:1. So an increase in fuel usage is definately possible, and probably even "probable" unless you can manage to keep your ffot out of it. ;)

AKPsiMC03
06-25-03, 08:26 PM
if it doesnt work on the newer MAF cars, how will it fair on a speed density car like my 95 ETC?

speedyguy
06-25-03, 08:37 PM
Yes you are right the cone air intake system custom or not it is not an optimizer so much as a fuel air mix change.

Headers are really needed for the car and there are a few companies working on them. Wonít be long before they hit the market. Ceramic-coated units will decrease engine ambient temp and increase scavenging on top of the benefits of real headers. I would consider this more of an optimizer.

Ty

Katshot
06-26-03, 07:53 AM
Who said they don't work on MAF cars? It worked fine on mine. You just have to understand what they REALLY do before you judge whether to install one on your car or not.
They're for increasing performance and when used in addition to other items that will enhance total engine airflow characteristics, they DO WORK. If used alone, their value is usually minimal at best unless your particular filter/intake system is especially restrictive.

BeelzeBob
06-26-03, 08:40 AM
Yes you are right the cone air intake system custom or not it is not an optimizer so much as a fuel air mix change.

Headers are really needed for the car and there are a few companies working on them. Wonít be long before they hit the market. Ceramic-coated units will decrease engine ambient temp and increase scavenging on top of the benefits of real headers. I would consider this more of an optimizer.

Ty
I don't mean to go off-topic but - Someone is working on headers for the Northstar?

speedyguy
06-26-03, 10:52 AM
Yes they are.

They is such a fun word.

I canít name any one company because there are two so far. I like both so I stay out of it. This is no small feat due to the limited space. You will find there will be more than the headers involved.

Ty

Katshot
06-26-03, 01:18 PM
Doing headers for these cars is really NOT a big deal. There are many cars with as bad, or worse packaging to deal with. The biggest hurtle for them is the cost associated with the production of a product that will have such a small market.

speedyguy
06-26-03, 02:17 PM
Thus its a big deal. lol

Ty