: 2001 catera shuts off

fespin2
04-03-06, 12:39 PM
Need some help to determine what's wrong w/ my mom's 2001 catera. Over the weekend my husband changed my mothers back brakes to her 2001 catera. After completeing this he left the car running for several minutes with the doors closed. Suddenly the car shut off on it's own. He tried to restart the car by turning the ignition key but it didn't work. The key would turn but only the dashboard lights and front lights would turn on. The car itself wouldn't turn on. Seems like some type of security kicked in. A fiend recommended to close the doors and unlock the car using the key hole. The car still didn't turn on. We waiting until the next morning and my husband went out to turn the car on and it DID turn on. Left it running for a few minutes and the car shut off once again. He tried to restart it again but it was unsuccesful. We waited to the evening and my mom went out to turn it on and it turned on. She reversed out of the garage but once again it shut off. We had to physically push the car back in. I have called the cadillac customer service but they were unable to resovle the issue. I called a cadillac dealer and the service dapartment was quite franlkly un helpful. I explained the whole siutation, he asked if I tried jumping the car and I told him that it wasn't a battery issue. He said that I would have to bring the car in for him to see. Was very rude and didn't seemed concerned. PLEASE, if anyone has any suggestions we are willing.

CateraSport2000
04-03-06, 03:39 PM
Sounds like the ol' Crankshaft position sensor. It's a VERY common problem and is easily solved... part is pretty cheap. I had mine done at the dealer under warranty, but I don't think it's more than $250 out the door with labor.

Jeff

guardian
04-03-06, 03:55 PM
Please do not permit the dealer's attitude to get to you. I do understand how you must have felt, but try to understand:

Many Cadillac dealers never even sold the Catera. Even for those that did, the car is often a nuisance to them. It is largely unlike the other Cadillacs they work on.

If at all possible, when you are treated like that, do your best to contact another Cadillac dealer, a different dealer.

One possible approach to your dilemma, just something to try, would be to disconnect the battery, wait a few minutes, and then reconnect the battery.

This might allow the computer to throw off whatever security sequence it might have entered. Of course if there is an actual component failure this will NOT help.

And please try not to allow a poor dealer "attitude" to sour your otherwise good feelings for the car.

sirmqc
04-03-06, 04:26 PM
My first guess would be the Crank Position Sensor. You can search this forum to get more info - there's alot on here. If you're slightly mechanically inclined, you can do this yourself; the part is around $80 at Autozone or online at rockauto or other site.

Some things you can check when its not starting:

-check for spark - this is easy, just pull one of the plugs or use a spare, plug it into one of the spark plug boots and ground the shell of the plug (the part with the threads) to an unpainted metal piece on the frame. If there's no spark, that would point to Crank sensor, but not definitely.

-check for fuel pump working - I doubt this is it, but you can check - turning the key to on or cranking the engine should make the fuel pump run for 2 seconds. You're supposed to be able to hear it running back by the fuel tank. When I was diagnosing, this didn't work too well for me. Unscrew the fuel cap to relieve tank pressure, then replace. Then, you can also relieve fuel pressure at the back, middle of the engine on top there's a schreder (spelling?) valve like on a tire. Depress that (warning: fuel will shoot out). Then crank the engine a bit and pressure should be built back up.

If you take it to the dealer, there's a good chance they'll tell you its the fuel pump - I would be hesitant to believe them (now that I blew $650 on that mistake once). Mine was crank sensor, similar symptoms with no check engine light. As I said, search this forum and you'll get more info that you wanted.

gixxer_751
04-03-06, 04:29 PM
take to an autozone/advance autoparts so they can put the PC on it... its probably the crankshaft position sensor

sirmqc
04-04-06, 11:54 AM
I dealt with an intermittent crank sensor for a couple months before it went completely bad. I never once got a check engine light. Autozone told me that unless the check engine light was on, their scanner wouldn't get anything - I'm not sure that is true, but thats what they told me.

gixxer_751
04-04-06, 01:41 PM
I dealt with an intermittent crank sensor for a couple months before it went completely bad. I never once got a check engine light. Autozone told me that unless the check engine light was on, their scanner wouldn't get anything - I'm not sure that is true, but thats what they told me.
i went to advance autoparts and they ran it with the car off