: 125 - - - - - > 140

guardian
04-03-06, 11:45 AM
A significant Catera inconvenience is the governor at 125 MPH

:)

After all, is this not something which rattles your cage on a daily basis!

:)

OK, now seriously:

It HAS been asked elsewhere in this forum how to defeat this heavy-handed Cadillac big brotherism. You may or may not find the answer here.

For the first time I have discovered a REASON for the 125 limitation. Of course you already knew; but the tires did not occur to me:

http://autofinder.cincinnati.com/cars/cadillac.html

Also in that piece reference is made to the nature of the governor, that top speed limitation is imposed via electronic means. This at least suggests computer tweaking to rid ones self of this unwanted "feature".

The electronic nature of the governor is also confirmed here:

http://latc.com/1997/09/01/special_sect/ontheroa3.html

And here:

http://xoib.com/reviews/35-187-2000-cadillac-catera-read.shtml

But some words of warning:

It's a German car but this ain't Germany. In Germany they know a LOT about going 140 MPH. The average, garden variety, garage mechanic in Germany has 140 MPH, and more, in his or her blood. In America 90 is fast. In Germany some of the TRUCKS routinely do 90!

In Germany the Autobahn is an entirely reasonable and viable alternative to air travel.

But there's more to Autobahn speeds than JUST the tires. One thing that sticks in my mind is balance. In Germany everything is dynamically balanced to facilitate the high speeds. This is not optional at 140, though it may be optional at 65.

When a car starts to vibrate violently at 135 MPH it is fine - as long as you are not IN the car.

There is other stuff, too. I hope additional contributors will offer their high speed, 140 MPH, Cat-tips. I am concerned and wondering what Cadillac engineers might have REMOVED from their MV6 starting point, knowing as they did that Catera Autobahn-like opportunities would be few and far between in America.

And how fast do you have to drive anyway, in America, to outrun the cops. Can a Crown Vic, a CVPI even, hit 100 MPH . . . ? Well, maybe, but not safely IMHO. I'd much rather, at that speed, be in the Catera he's chasing.

So modify that computer and then go out there and get the attention of the police. When you both are up to 100, smile, step on the gas, and pull away at 40 MPH :).

Does the Catera hold the record for having most MPH per dollar of cost? I think so.

What a car! :worship:

Elo
04-03-06, 11:59 AM
While I understand what you're saying, and agree... I feel like I have to reiterate the fact that there are very, VERY few places to go that fast aside from tracks... In fact, I believe there's a highway in Montana that has no speed limit, and that's about it...

But I can say that I've seen multiple police chase videos on TV (Read: World's Wildest Police Chases) where the crown vics have reached over 100...

-Elo

guardian
04-03-06, 12:28 PM
While I understand what you're saying, and agree... I feel like I have to reiterate the fact that there are very, VERY few places to go that fast aside from tracks... In fact, I believe there's a highway in Montana that has no speed limit, and that's about it...

But I can say that I've seen multiple police chase videos on TV (Read: World's Wildest Police Chases) where the crown vics have reached over 100...

-Elo

Elo, thanks. And I take your point. I really do not know top speed of a CVPI.

Really I was just having a little fun and enjoying the fact Catera can cruise at 140 MPH, a statistic I find astonishing for a car which today at times can be bought south of three grand $$.

Anybody planning a Montana vacation?:)

Elo
04-03-06, 02:02 PM
Elo, thanks. And I take your point. I really do not know top speed of a CVPI.

Really I was just having a little fun and enjoying the fact Catera can cruise at 140 MPH, a statistic I find astonishing for a car which today at times can be bought south of three grand $$.

Anybody planning a Montana vacation?:)

Hehe... I don't know if I could justify driving all the way to Montana just for that... ;)

-Elo

german_catera_fan
04-03-06, 02:44 PM
oh guys...belive me...it IS worth it.
i have no idea what i am gonna do in the US. it'll kill me driving at the US speedlimit all the time. unfortunately a ticket is reported to the car insurance (in the US). here it is not. in fact: nothing gets reported to the insurance here except for accidents. and even then YOU have to report your insurance.
thats what i hate about the states. why having a powerful car if you are not allowed to use the power. actually i have heard that they stop you for fast acceleration. oh my god......
but yeah, i love the catera too

guardian
04-03-06, 03:38 PM
oh guys...belive me...it IS worth it.
i have no idea what i am gonna do in the US. it'll kill me driving at the US speedlimit all the time. unfortunately a ticket is reported to the car insurance (in the US). here it is not. in fact: nothing gets reported to the insurance here except for accidents. and even then YOU have to report your insurance.
thats what i hate about the states. why having a powerful car if you are not allowed to use the power. actually i have heard that they stop you for fast acceleration. oh my god......

Agreed.

The problem here vis a vis high speed highway travel is our roads and our highway engineering.

In Germany the roads are DESIGNED and maintained to support travel at very high speeds. Here we have many more miles of much poorer quality roads. Even our very BEST roads do not compare with the Autobahn.

The second problem here is our drivers. On the Autobahn, when you overtake another driver who is using the left lane, that driver will pull to the right, yield, and permit you to pass. Here in the USA, though drivers are supposed to keep to the right, many drivers will use whatever lane suits their fancy. Penalties for this infraction are rare.

And at 140 MPH, passing on the right is a REALLY poor idea.

There is a lot more. But German drivers are, speaking in general, far better and safer drivers than drivers in America. It really is the only way a high speed highway system like the Autobahn can function. At speeds of 140 MPH and higher, the kind of idiot drivers so common here in the USA would perish early on and in a remarkably violent manner.

Bottom line the Catera is, in many respects, mis-applied here in the USA. Still, I think it is really cool to drive a world-class automobile that can hold its own with ease at 140 MPH.

Elo
04-03-06, 04:19 PM
actually i have heard that they stop you for fast acceleration. oh my god......

Yeup... But I believe (and I'm no law-enforcement officer or anything) that they will only get you if you "burn rubber"... So long as your tires don't break free, you should be ok... I also believe the specific citation is "laying drag"...

-Elo

Boris
04-03-06, 04:59 PM
The roads here in the States are quite decent, it's the drivers that are the problem.

Ever drive the Berliner Rink in heavy traffic or shoot up E26 to Hamburg ??
There is a myth that the German roads are magical but the magic comes from driver education. No one cruises in the left lane even if they are doing 250km/h when the right lane is empty because it's against the law and there will always be someone faster.
European drivers don't take it as a personal insult when someone is traveling faster like the US drivers do. How many times have you seen a guy speed up the moment you go by him ?

Trucks are all speed limited with heavy fines for tampering with their tachographs, they have overtaking restrictions and aren't allowed to use the autobahns on the weekends(except for certain cases).
In general truck drivers do not attempt to pass other trucks when their speed difference is 1mph, a maneuver that takes miles and miles.

I often drive on the speed governer (Alligator alley is empty at night) and would love more speed but even if there is only one other car on the road in the middle of the night chances are he will be in the left lane with the cruise set at 70.

I'm off the soap box now but will end with this thought.
The rear view mirrors are not for applying make up and the left lane is not for parking.

guardian
04-03-06, 06:15 PM
The roads here in the States are quite decent, it's the drivers that are the problem.

Ever drive the Berliner Rink in heavy traffic or shoot up E26 to Hamburg ??
There is a myth that the German roads are magical but the magic comes from driver education. No one cruises in the left lane even if they are doing 250km/h when the right lane is empty because it's against the law and there will always be someone faster.
European drivers don't take it as a personal insult when someone is traveling faster like the US drivers do. How many times have you seen a guy speed up the moment you go by him ?

Trucks are all speed limited with heavy fines for tampering with their tachographs, they have overtaking restrictions and aren't allowed to use the autobahns on the weekends(except for certain cases).
In general truck drivers do not attempt to pass other trucks when their speed difference is 1mph, a maneuver that takes miles and miles.

I often drive on the speed governer (Alligator alley is empty at night) and would love more speed but even if there is only one other car on the road in the middle of the night chances are he will be in the left lane with the cruise set at 70.

I'm off the soap box now but will end with this thought.
The rear view mirrors are not for applying make up and the left lane is not for parking.

Very well stated!

I didn't know the trucks were speed limited. Have run more than once into a situation on the Autobahn where one truck is passing another at well under 100 mph. The Germans call this the "elephant races". It can be a real negative when you're trying to make time. It is an Autobahn negative.

But your point about Americans not wanting to be passed is so right on. I alluded to this earlier but you said it better. It would take a generation or more for Americans to achieve the level of driver education routine in Germany.

Be careful out there at 125, Boris! You can outrun the cops' cars. But you cannot outrun their radios! :)

Boris
04-03-06, 09:46 PM
You can outrun the cops' cars. But you cannot outrun their radios! :)

I would never try to outrun the police, it's just not worth it. Plus as you said, radio waves travel much faster.

Alligator alley (I-75 in SWFlorida) is very quiet at night, it's also very flat and straight.
Depending on which county you are in the local Sheriff's deputies will let you get away with a lot. I have been clocked at just over 100mph and let of with a strong warning followed by an innocent inquiry as to how fast I have gone in that car(it was a V12 with Brabus on the front fenders and deck lid:thumbsup: ).
The cop was cool and knows that people tend to travel that stretch of road at a higher rate of speed.

But back to the Cateras, they were built with high speed traveling in mind and are quite competent of cruising in the triple digits. In fact I find that the car settles down nicely at around 90 and stays planted all the way to the limiter.
The only thing that could make the experience better would be a 5th gear, be it auto or stick.

Elo
04-04-06, 11:02 AM
Have to agree with you there about I-75...

Though the cops around Gainesville are sticklers...

I love going fast, but the most I'll go is 9 over the speed limit... So I'll set my cruise at 79 and normally ride in the middle, or the far right lane... If and when I need to pass, I get over just as far as I need to, then I get back out of the way... If there's someone faster coming up behind me, instead of jumping out in front of them and causing them to slow down, I'll break my cruise and just chill... That few extra seconds that I'm having to wait, isn't going to change much, if anything, at all... :)

-Elo

german_catera_fan
04-04-06, 11:29 AM
its funny how mnuch you guys know about the german autobahn :-)
but belive me, we have lots of idiots on out streets as well !
i remember almost having an accident because some stupid guy pulled over to the left lane. braking down very hard from 161 miles/h is NO FUN ! it feels like your heart's jumping out of your chest.
but thankfully that doesnt happen all the time. the people from the netherlands are horrible. they do it all the time (but they have speedlimits)
so looking forward to my first catera in my new home ;-)

guardian
04-04-06, 12:25 PM
its funny how mnuch you guys know about the german autobahn :-)
but belive me, we have lots of idiots on out streets as well !

On the German streets you may be right.

But the great thing about the Autobahn is its unforgiving nature. Much more so than here in America, Autobahn driving idiots tend to be eliminated through an efficient German process of natural selection. When you mess up behind the wheel north of 100, you are much more likely simply to die.

Here in America, when you drive poorly and have one of our low speed accidents, there is a greater probability of your surviving and going out at a future time once again to drive like a fool.

Thus in America poor drivers are coddled. In Germany poor drivers are more likely to receive their just desserts and be removed from the roads . . . . . . . permanently. :)

I hope this conversation enhances the insight of some readers as to how great a car the Catera really is. It is DESIGNED for the Autobahn. Your good story of emergency braking from 161 should be taken to heart. The Catera is a car conceived from day one to operate in such an environment.

For folks who've never experienced the Autobahn, and who have no overseas travel plans . . . . . well . . . . . that Montana vacation might be just the ticket! :)

miahcornell
04-04-06, 01:53 PM
I had a police cruiser (crown vic) walk away from me on the highway when the 125mph governer kicked in. I was chasing the cop :) He said he was going about 140.

With good condition balanced tires, triple digit highway cruising down a familiar open strech is one of lifes greatest moments. I, however, wouldn't feel comfortable taking this car past 130-132ish. Wind noise is deafening, and the brakes just are up to that task IMO. While it may be alot of fun, Ill stick in the buck-twenty range.

andergar
04-05-06, 02:02 PM
Speaking of tweaking the Cat computer, has anyone done this? If possible, how, where, and what cost?

Andergar
andergar@comcast.net

german_catera_fan
04-05-06, 02:28 PM
i have tweaked the cat computer.
BUT my chip only fits into the european versions ECU. your ECU doesnt seem to have an exchangeable eprom. i recently sold a chip for a very low price to someone in the US. just for experiments. unfortunately the chip didnt fit (thats what he said). i have never seen the inside of the US ECU.
if someone is willing to open the ECU and send me the picture of the inside, i might be able to produce modified software/chip.
the chip i have though is really nice. i usually sell it on ebay england.
customer feedbacks are amazing.

guardian
04-05-06, 07:11 PM
i have tweaked the cat computer.
BUT my chip only fits into the european versions ECU. your ECU doesnt seem to have an exchangeable eprom.

Fascinating.

Could you be kind enough, please, to post a link to your eBay ad. I do not want to buy your PROM, which I understand is not for the Catera, but I would like to see the chip.

I assume yours is an EEPROM. Is that correct? As opposed to a UV erasable PROM, I mean.

Also if you feel comfortable doing so, please say what is the size, the capacity of your PROM which works in the European cars, and please say what is the organization.

It would be VERY interesting for us here in the USA to know if our PROMs are larger, or smaller, or perhaps the same size as the memory used in the European cars.

If our ECUs do not have a removable chip, I would guess we are dealing with an EEPROM, which can be modified in situ under computer control.

What do you think?

Are you doing your mods at the bench or right in the car? If at the bench, is this by your choice or do your cars not have the capacity, the capability, for in situ reprogramming?

Thanks.

bengsxr
04-06-06, 03:28 PM
has anyone been busted for going over 100mph. cause i want to know what might happen to me because i did last night they said i was going 126mph in a 55mph zone and thats what the ticket says also they got me for reckless driving to. it was 1:30am on a long straight road.

guardian
04-06-06, 07:59 PM
has anyone been busted for going over 100mph. cause i want to know what might happen to me because i did last night they said i was going 126mph in a 55mph zone and thats what the ticket says also they got me for reckless driving to. it was 1:30am on a long straight road.

Make sure to obtain a real good copy of that ticket, both sides.

When you get older that'll be one for memory lane and a special personal item to share with your grandkids!

Hmmmm

OK, maybe I should have said "IF" you get older. :tisk: :)

andergar
04-07-06, 09:12 AM
Has anyone ever reprogramed the computer, with an external device, to say, raise idle at rest? Is this possible?

Andergar
andergar@comcast.net

Elo
04-07-06, 11:50 AM

It is my understanding that in some places, triple-digit speeds (ie: 100+) are felonies...

And recklace driving in most places is a minimum of 1 year suspended license... You'll have to call and find out for sure, though...

-Elo

guardian
04-07-06, 05:48 PM
Has anyone ever reprogramed the computer, with an external device, to say, raise idle at rest? Is this possible?

At one time, in the past, special gear was required to interface with onboard computers of cars, in general.

Today this can be accomplished with a run-of-the-mill laptop computer.

However, in addition to the laptop computer you need two things:

You need an interface "cable" which connects your laptop to the car. This is not necessarily a simple cable, but may include some circuitry as well.

You need special software, which runs on your laptop and allows you to interface with your car's computer.

I am oversimplifying here a bit, but the above are the basics. Once you are in communication with your car, with its computer, many, many things become possible.:)

Consistent with the original theme of this thread, I believe you would be able, with the above setup, to alter the governor setting. This would allow Catera owners to run at 140 MPH.

Also other things under computer control would be subject to alteration. An example of this might be the idle speed.