: 99 Cartera ECU problem (maybe)

pepelepuu
04-02-06, 02:14 PM
My 99 has been burdened with problems for the last 20,000 miles (Currently at 122,000). Had the valve cover gaskets replaced last year to find out that the oil is leaking thru the rear main. For the last year the transmission warning light would turn on after driving about 50 miles. I would have to shut it down and re-start it for it to reset, otherwise the tranny would not downshift from 4th gear (lots of fun right. now comes the punch line) I had also rebuilt the alternator 40,000 miles ago and when arriving to work all my gauges bottomed out (except for the tach) and felt like it was running off the battery (not for long) Could the ecu be fawled up and prevent the alternator from putting juice out? I tested it and showed that the battery was not getting charged. I can pick up another ecu for about $50, but hate to spend on something that is not needed. Has anyone had this kind of issue before? Can't afford to take it to the stealership again.

caddy4sho
04-03-06, 01:52 PM
I had the same problem with the transmission. The neutral position indicator sensor(or something like that). Parts and labor just under $500....way better than the 1st estimate of $2000. Sorry i cant help u on the other problems

pepelepuu
04-04-06, 06:32 PM
Thanks. I appreciate the reply though.

german_catera_fan
04-05-06, 02:46 PM
that sensor should is a very cheap part. and labor.... well you should be able to do that yourself

german_catera_fan
04-05-06, 02:48 PM
oh, and the battery...if the alternator is not broken, then the cable needs to be exchanged cuz its too thin. (the one from the alt. to the bet.)

pepelepuu
04-10-06, 11:08 AM
Hey, Caddy4show, can you tell me exactly which sensor that is you had replaced. I would be willing to give it a try.

Thanks for the reply German Catera fan. I will look into it this week.

Right now its sitting under a car cover in my driveway. Called my mechanic friend and he hates my car, so he wasn't much help.

pepelepuu
04-24-06, 07:15 AM
I had the same problem with the transmission. The neutral position indicator sensor(or something like that). Parts and labor just under $500....way better than the 1st estimate of $2000. Sorry i cant help u on the other problems

Do you have the part# for this so I could research it. Spend my Sunday afternoon replacing the positive battery cable. Going to test it tonight. Wish me luck.