: overfilled tranny....

cl1986
04-02-06, 01:41 PM
I was a dumbass and check the tranny while the car was off. I put two quarts of tranny fluid in and never thought about it....

I guess the power steering fluid style dipstick cornfused me...I know u always check the tranny with engine running... but this was just wierd and just like power steering....

Anyhow...do i need to take the two quarts back out?? the fliud is all the way up to the dipstick hole when in park and engine running......

acklac7
04-02-06, 02:03 PM
I would go buy a turkey baster and suction the fluid out from the top (at the filler neck)..Then expell the fluid into the empty containers.

Ranger
04-02-06, 03:30 PM
Yeah, I'm with acklac7.

99esteees
04-02-06, 04:41 PM
It SHOULD just flow out of the overfill tube and correct itself. Worst case scenario, it could be bad on seals in the transmission and cause them to fail prematurely from stories I have heard.

Zorb750
04-02-06, 07:35 PM
Trans doesn't have overflow on this car.

Use a siphon pump into the side tank while the car is running with a clear line and siphon into a container that you can tell the level on. Remove about half a quart at a time, checking the level each time. Pay attention to your trans fluid level for a day or two after that.

99esteees
04-02-06, 07:43 PM
Trans doesn't have overflow on this car.

Use a siphon pump into the side tank while the car is running with a clear line and siphon into a container that you can tell the level on. Remove about half a quart at a time, checking the level each time. Pay attention to your trans fluid level for a day or two after that.

Sorry I meant to say the dipstick tube.

eldorado1
04-02-06, 08:51 PM
They sell a pump kit at autozone for abour $8.... Ruin the turkey baster (again and for the third time) and there'll be heck to pay. :thepan:

cl1986
04-03-06, 07:36 PM
They sell a pump kit at autozone for abour $8.... Ruin the turkey baster (again and for the third time) and there'll be heck to pay. :thepan:

I believe i already wrecked a turkey baster when changing power steering fluid, so if i can find that i will use it....

Zorb750
04-05-06, 05:02 PM
Sorry I meant to say the dipstick tube.

No, it won't. His dipstick "tube" is just a hole in the top of the trans housing.

It can be badly overfilled and not have anything come out. Then again......... The 4T80E is a dry sump setup. It might not be so bad after all... I'm going to do some research on this one.

99esteees
04-05-06, 07:05 PM
No, it won't. His dipstick "tube" is just a hole in the top of the trans housing.

It can be badly overfilled and not have anything come out. Then again......... The 4T80E is a dry sump setup. It might not be so bad after all... I'm going to do some research on this one.

So you are saying if it is badly overfilled, once the fluid heats up and has nowhere to expand, it won't come back out of the fill tube?

I've had it happen on other cars.

lry99eldo
04-06-06, 08:11 AM
If you feel that you have put too much in, do as suggested and remove half a quart at a time while at operating temprature. What's a cheap baster cost at the dollar store? Hint hint.
This tranny is a dry sump design which is covered in the FSM and not as subject to the same overfill conditions as say a Turbo 400 or any other wet sump tranny that will spit it out the fill tube and cause a real mess, yet it is not recommended to overfill. Tranny fluid expands quite a bit as it heats compared to ambient. Yet the dry sump will only use the volume it requires to operate and quickly return it to the wet sump. Just to be safe take the additional volume out.
lry99eldo

Patrick7997
04-06-06, 03:43 PM
Napa sells a slick little tool that pushes fluid in, or withdraws fluid out.

Perfect for draining & refilling gear cases on Tahoe 4x4's, for example.... probably also very handy for withdrawing excess trans fluid....

Very handy to have around.

Zorb750
04-06-06, 10:41 PM
So you are saying if it is badly overfilled, once the fluid heats up and has nowhere to expand, it won't come back out of the fill tube?

I've had it happen on other cars.

Not usually on that sort of trans. It doesn't expand enough to do that unless it's REALLY overfilled, as in more than a couple quarts. Usually what happens is that on a non dry sump trans, it gets churned into foam and that gets out through the tube, though not usually much. I saw it on one of my style Grand Cherokees once where it would just be a few drops every so often coming out, which would burn on the exhaust manifold. It only happened when the gears were turning a certain way. Planetary gearsets are interesting.

Anyway, on this car, the gearbox is kept to a specific level of fluid, the rest goes into the side tank, so I really don't think a quart or so over would even hurt it... Worst case would be an overflow I think.