: 87 Brougham Questions?

87cadman
04-02-06, 08:52 AM
I have a few problems with my car that I can't figure out. The biggest one is the turn signals. They will not function properly. When I use them and the turn signal is engaged the signals stay on and don't blink like they are ment to. I can't seem to figure it out. I have checked everything and it seem to be alright. Mabey somebody can let me know if I have missed something.

Another problem is the car is losing oil. I think it might be coming from one of the valve cover gaskets. So my question is when I go to change them can I put after market chrome valve cavers on my car. I have been wanting to clean up the engine compartment and this gives me the perfect chance. Also I want to put a aftermarket air cleaner on her as well but i noticed that there is a hose going to the stock air cleaner. How do I get around this problem.

Also I want to upgrade my engine where is a good pplace to look for engine components. I know that it's a 307 Olds, will 307 Chevy pieces fit it or are they two totally different engines.

Last where can I find parts for my car (i.e. side trim, marker lights, interior pieces). My car needs some TLC in a major way.

77CDV
04-02-06, 06:23 PM
If you still have the OEM turn signal flasher, lack of flashing means that one of the bulbs is burned out, so first check all your bulbs. If they're all OK, then I would suspect the turn signal flasher itself has gone bad. If replacing that doesn't get things working, check your fuseable links. One may have melted.

Chrome valve covers should be no problem. Parts are readily available. Search the web or your local junkyard. As to the rest, it's beyond my ken. Good luck.

Craig

carnut
04-03-06, 10:04 PM
Turn on the 4 way flashers, its the knob below the ignit. key switch, walk around the car and ck all lights. You will most likely find one or more burnt out. Just compare left to right to determine which isn't working. If all are ok, then swap the 4 way flasher unit with the turn signal flasher unit to confirm the flasher has failed. To locate the flasher you will be able to hear it clicking under the dash when the 4 way switch is on. If I remember correctly the flashers are either in the fuse box or clipped to the steering column under the dash. hope this helps. They might be different colors but are interchangable.

Destroyer
04-03-06, 11:00 PM
I have a few problems with my car that I can't figure out. The biggest one is the turn signals. They will not function properly. When I use them and the turn signal is engaged the signals stay on and don't blink like they are ment to. I can't seem to figure it out. I have checked everything and it seem to be alright. Mabey somebody can let me know if I have missed something.

Another problem is the car is losing oil. I think it might be coming from one of the valve cover gaskets. So my question is when I go to change them can I put after market chrome valve cavers on my car. I have been wanting to clean up the engine compartment and this gives me the perfect chance. Also I want to put a aftermarket air cleaner on her as well but i noticed that there is a hose going to the stock air cleaner. How do I get around this problem.

Also I want to upgrade my engine where is a good pplace to look for engine components. I know that it's a 307 Olds, will 307 Chevy pieces fit it or are they two totally different engines.

Last where can I find parts for my car (i.e. side trim, marker lights, interior pieces). My car needs some TLC in a major way.
Yes you can put chrome valve covers on. Big of small block olds motors have the same valve cover. I had an 87 Fleetwood but never tried to install an aftermarket air cleaner so I cant help you there.

A Chevy 307 is a completely different motor. Nothing from a Chev 307 will work on the Olds 307. Your best bet is to either get a bigger Olds motor or put a Chevy motor in there.

Best source of parts like side trim, marker lights, interior pieces would be your local junkyard or pick and pull junkyard.

Night Wolf
04-04-06, 06:18 AM
lack of flashing will also happen if one of the turn signal bulbs is out... either in the front or back.

307's are known for leaky valve cover gasket.... most any small block Olds would fit...

you are stuck on performance from the 307..... Chevy 307 is totally different engine. For some help on actually maybe doing something with the 307, check this out:

http://performanceolds307.tripod.com/index.html

Otherwise an engine swap is due, my personal choice is a 472/500.

ebay.