: Caddy unveils luxury sport sedan

HotRodSaint
01-15-04, 09:20 AM
Thursday, January 15, 2004

http://www.detnews.com/pix/2004/01/15/biz/b015-caddysts-0104n-4.jpg

Cadillac STS
http://www.detnews.com/pix/folios/dot.gif

Caddy unveils luxury sport sedan

Rear-wheel drive STS replaces the Seville. Spring debut planned, GM's Cowger says

By Ed Garsten / The Detroit News

DEARBORN — Coming off its best sales year since 1990, Cadillac’s next weapon in its product arsenal was revealed Wednesday night.

Gary Cowger, president of General Motors Corp.'s North America operations, released an image of the 2005 Cadillac STS during a speech at the Automotive News World Congress.

“We think the STS will offer the right blend of a luxury car and a true sport sedan,” Cowger said.

The rear-wheel drive STS replaces the Seville and will be built alongside the Cadillac CTS passenger sedan and SRX crossover vehicle at the Lansing Grand River plant.

Its formal introduction is planned for this spring’s New York Auto Show.

The new STS will face tough competition, including the all-new BMW 5-series, Mercedes-Benz E-Class, Lexus GS, Audi A6 and Infiniti M45.

“It’s gotten to the point where everything Cadillac does is important,” said Art Spinella, a market research analyst with Bandon, Ore.-based CNW Marketing. “It has to compete with the constant barrage of products from Lexus and Mercedes-Benz.”

Cadillac general manager Mark LaNeve said the success of new products such as the STS will be the litmus test for Cadillac’s resurgence.

“It’s gut check time,” LaNeve said, “because what we do next will determine whether we can complete this renaissance or go down in history as having a couple of really good years.”

Cadillac sold 216,090 vehicles in 2003, up 8.2 percent from 2002 and its best performance in 13 years as the once moribund division continues a turnaround. Key to the comeback has been a complete product turnover appealing to younger, more affluent buyers.

While LaNeve said SRX hit all of GM’s internal sales targets for its launch, it appears Cadilac may have stubbed its toe in pricing the SRX, which made its debut last fall.

Just as DaimlerChrysler AG’s Chrysler Group found when it launched the Pacifica last year, its price may have been just a little too rich for the market.

The base sticker price of the SRX ranges between $37,995 and $46,595, but the can soar to near $60,000 with options.

The automaker has authorized dealers to offer $1,500 “conquest cash” on SRX’s built before last October to customers who own another luxury brand vehicle.

Dealer rebates of $2,000 are available on the SRX, too. The deals expire at the end of March.

“Lease-wise, the car isn’t overpriced,” said Rob Pasquinzo, general sales manager at Audette Cadillac in West Bloomfield. “But the MSRP is a little higher than the competition.”

Longtime Cadillac dealer Hoot McInerney says Cadillac just came out of the box a little too strong with the SRX.

“The models they put out right away were a little too heavily loaded,” McInerney said. But so far his SRX sales are brisk.

Participants in focus groups told CNW Marketing they perceived the SRX price as “slightly high,” Spinella said.

“GM may be overpricing some new products,” Morgan Stanley analyst Stephen Girsky told The Detroit News on Tuesday. He pointed out the SRX and forthcoming Chevrolet Cobalt small car as examples.

Spinella believes GM learned a lesson from the Chrysler Pacifica. Chrysler saw sales stagnate initially last year until it produced a less expensive version.

“GM is responding very quickly to the market, unlike what Chrysler did,” Spinella said. “It may be a little early to be putting incentives on it, but being so aggressive on pricing is not surprising.”

You can reach Ed Garsten at (313) 223-3217 or egarsten@detnews.com.

BeelzeBob
01-15-04, 09:32 AM
Thanks for posting the news.. When should this car be hitting showrooms?

HotRodSaint
01-15-04, 09:37 AM
Thanks for posting the news.. When should this car be hitting showrooms?
The article that wouldn't paste said Spring.

BeelzeBob
01-15-04, 10:42 AM
This Spring! Wow.. Exciting... I can't wait to sit in one of these cars.. The Sevilles were very comfortable cars.. I want to see how the seats feel in the new STS. The CTS is hard - like a BMW without their 'soft' seats. And even those seats aren't very soft...

Brett
01-15-04, 08:19 PM
Cadillac.com says Fall 2004

HotRodSaint
01-15-04, 10:17 PM
Cadillac.com says Fall 2004This article says it will be unveiled at the NY Auto show in spring.

Maybe thats what will happen in 'spring' and sales will start in 'fall'.

Ralph
01-15-04, 11:13 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it looks a little too much like a CTS?

Pete03Z06
01-16-04, 02:19 AM
I'm with you Ralph. As I said over in the Seville forum...I like the CTS, SRX, Escalade and XLR (especially the XLR :coolgleam ) a lot and think they are great for the company, but this looks exactly like the CTS/SRX. The stance is higher and less intimidating than the current STS, and otherwise it might as well be a CTS with longer wheelbase. At least there is a noticeable difference between the 3 series and 5 series BMWs and C- and E-class Benz's. I would have hoped Caddy would differentiate the STS a little, even while keeping/interpreting the current styling trends. :(

Scrapyard
01-16-04, 03:08 AM
Welcome to the 21st century, were everything will look more and more like everything else. I like the fact they went back to RWD but this super edgy styling thing is becoming old. They realy need to change it up a little.

BeelzeBob
01-16-04, 08:52 AM
At first glance, to me, it looked very different because of the grill.. Now that it's not so new to me anymore, my eye is drawn to more of the car and there is too much of a resemblance.. I'm thinking it's a lot like the Eldorado and Seville were for years. The only difference, mainly, was the back. The front has been almost identical since '79 or so...

Tom Slick
01-16-04, 09:21 AM
what about this...CTS-V

http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/models/gallery.jsp?model=ctsv

toms...

Brett
01-16-04, 10:36 AM
Click on drive time 1/15, to see the STS in action.

http://gmtv.feedroom.com

Pete03Z06
01-16-04, 11:51 AM
The CTS-V is awesome, I don't think there is much debate about that...but it is still a CTS look, and out of all the new cars with the art and science theme, the STS looks the MOST like the CTS.

HotRodSaint
01-16-04, 01:29 PM
The CTS-V is awesome, I don't think there is much debate about that...but it is still a CTS look, and out of all the new cars with the art and science theme, the STS looks the MOST like the CTS.
Maybe because that out of all the 'Art and Science' Cadillacs, it is the only other sedan? :D

Right away, I notice the 'lack' of the hard edges of the CTS. I think once you guys actually see one, you will be able to tell very easily that its not a CTS. And that might not be a good thing.

Vesicant
01-16-04, 04:28 PM
Ok so, the STS is comming out ... but what about the DeVille aka DTS/DHS? Is that due for a redesign?

Pete03Z06
01-17-04, 03:00 AM
Gee, I wonder what the new DTS will look like? :p

TimsToy
01-17-04, 09:13 AM
All I can say is that I was at the New Car Auto Show in Madison, WI. yesterday. My wife and 19 year old son had to practically drag me out of the Caddy floor section. :bouncy: Which they finally manged to do. :dammit: However, I prevailed and snuck back in while they where checking out the Dodge section.:vomit: O.K., I did enjoy seeing the new Viper and also the new Stangs and Vettes.:burn: But the New Caddys Rock! :musical: I was a little put off by the fact that none of the Caddy sales staff approached me while I was wandering all through their section. :eye: I had to :Poke: which really :madtalkin . I wonder if it was because I was dressed in jeans and a sweatshirt? Anyway, I still had a great time.:banana:

2004_SRX_
01-17-04, 12:11 PM
I've been waiting a while to see a picture of the new STS. It is very attractive, really executes Caddy's new styling well. With the SRX's and STS' soft lines, it makes me feel that the CTS and Escalades aren't really fitting in. And what's going to happene to the Deville?

HotRodSaint
01-17-04, 12:24 PM
I've been waiting a while to see a picture of the new STS. It is very attractive, really executes Caddy's new styling well. With the SRX's and STS' soft lines, it makes me feel that the CTS and Escalades aren't really fitting in. And what's going to happene to the Deville?
I'm thinking it might use some 'Sixteen' styling cues. I also think it might be placed ABOVE the STS.

But thats just my speculation (and hope).

2004_SRX_
01-17-04, 05:20 PM
I'm thinking it might use some 'Sixteen' styling cues. I also think it might be placed ABOVE the STS.

But thats just my speculation (and hope).I would love for it to look like the Sixteen. But to me, this STS actually looks Deville-ish. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for some spy pics.