: Rear Sway Bars Are Awesome!!

CoupeDevilleRob
03-31-06, 09:06 PM
I finally got my rear sway bar. I ordered a PST 1-inch from Kanter Auto Products, cost about $150. I really wanted to do it myself, but of course the brackets didn't line up with the holes in the control arms. I took it to my mechanic, he put it on the lift and drilled out the holes for me. He actually had a hard time on the right side because the exhaust got in the way. The car handles so much better. During normal driving it corners almost flat. In more "spirited" driving it is noticibly more stable. It didn't magically make it a Corvette, it still handles like a Coupe deVille but it's a considerable improvement. If your car doesn't have a rear sway bar (like mine didn't) I highly recommend getting one.

durrk
03-31-06, 10:49 PM
What is a rear sway bar?

What does it do, how much did it cost all together and should I get one?

Night Wolf
03-31-06, 11:06 PM
hell yeah! I put one on my '79 DeVille, it came off a '79 Fleetwood.

Man, it really kept the body roll down, it felt more solid around the corners, and I was able to get it sideways when making a turn pretty easy....

Mine was $10 from the junkyard... it was a great add-on.

A rear sway bar... or any sway bar... think of it as a "spring" between the left and right wheels... in a turn, say, left, the body will lean right, compressing the right spring and stretching the left spring.... well, the sway bar helps to distrubute the compressing load on the right spring, to the left spring... in turn it helps keep the body level... when the weight is distrubuted more evenly across the tires, the car will handle alot better.

brougham
04-01-06, 12:46 AM
Usually when cars have rear sway bars the the front one is bigger too. So if the place you got it from has a different front one you should get it too so that it evens everything out.

GenoTheLowrider
04-01-06, 01:39 AM
How do u know if u have a sway bar, just get under there and take a look? Or did they come on the 89s??

Night Wolf
04-01-06, 02:37 AM
My mothers '89 Brougham has one.

Just look under the car... can't miss it.

Katshot
04-01-06, 06:09 AM
Night Wolf pointed out something that should be remembered about anti-sway bars, They need to be sized "properly" for the car or they can cause numerous handling problems. As he mentioned, his caused the car to over-steer.

CoupeDevilleRob
04-01-06, 02:45 PM
I got the stock size (1-inch) for my car, even though it's an aftermarket bar. The handling doesn't feel unbalanced at all, the rear stays planted now around corners. I haven't tried it but if I really pushed it around a corner I could probably get the back to swing out. I've thought of getting a better one for the front, but I've been spending money like a drunken sailor lately so it can wait. Like I said, the handling is nice and balanced, changing the front bar probably isn't even necessary.

JTraik
04-01-06, 04:57 PM
Good for handling, but when you hit a bump/hole on one side or the other your gonna feel it a lot more, they take away what little independence straight axles have... that also depends on how stout the bar is too. However if it suits your fancy then :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

N0DIH
04-01-06, 05:45 PM
Check 9C1 cop cars too, they share the same bars as the FE2 and FE7 cars (Ride/Handling package and Limo/Commerical chassis), as well as the Impala SS, they all have the same bars.

According to Scott Mueller the 70-81 F-Body 1.25" bar is one of the best upgrades for the buck you can get. BUT, they are out of stock for GM, so scrounge boneyards. They are larger and have a shorter lever, so they are much more effective.

As for looking for bars, all 73-77 A/G body cars (LeMans, Regal, Cutlass, Grand AM, Monte Carlo), and 77-96 B/D cars all share same front and rear sway bars, just look for fattest bars you can find. GTO's, 442's, Grand AM's are your best bets for best bars from the boneyard.

Night Wolf
04-02-06, 03:00 AM
Night Wolf pointed out something that should be remembered about anti-sway bars, They need to be sized "properly" for the car or they can cause numerous handling problems. As he mentioned, his caused the car to over-steer.

Yeah, removing it form a factory-installed-1979 Fleetwood (DeVille) and installing it onto a 1979 DeVille is totally the wrong size....

I never "said" it caused oversteer. I know where you picked that up from, and that would be that the back end would be easier to throw around. If from a stop I hit the gas and turned the wheel, or while making a turn and slowed down to 5-10mph.... yes, at lower speeds it would produce some effects of oversteer

On the road at any speed greater then 20ish, it firmed the car up quite a bit around the corners, the addition of the rear sway bar seem to iron out some of the defects of the chassis/suspension design, atleast for handling.

Night Wolf
04-02-06, 03:02 AM
Good for handling, but when you hit a bump/hole on one side or the other your gonna feel it a lot more, they take away what little independence straight axles have... that also depends on how stout the bar is too. However if it suits your fancy then :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Going over speed bumps (opened in the middle, only one side) it wasn't that much of a difference....

N0DIH
04-02-06, 11:56 PM
I was running the 442 rear bar on my 85 Cutlass and the stock FE1 front, it was good, but you didn't dare push it in a corner.

Now, on my 91 Bonneville I put on the SSE rear bar and the stock FE1 front bar in front, and it was a dream handling car for a front wheeler. It was finally balanced, and if ever it could get oversteer, just mash the gas!!