: Timing Belt Tensioner

jasons18
03-30-06, 04:12 PM
I am in the process of replacing the timing belt tensioner and i am alittle confused about how the timing belt tensioner is supposed to function. I am not sure if it is supposed to be spring loaded or if it is supposed to be a preset tension. So if anyone has any answers they would be grately apprieciated.
thank you

german_catera_fan
03-31-06, 10:00 AM
hi there,
DONT change/work on the timing belt unless you exactly know what you are doing! you will regrett it.
if you still wanna do it,here is an image that should help you.
http://www.inside-technik.de/misc%20online%20pics/spannrolle.jpg
i speak fluent english but i'm not perfect yet. especially with technical terms.
otherwise i would have explained it all to you.
but i'm on it ;-)
regards
alex

guardian
03-31-06, 08:13 PM
You are replacing the belt, too . . . right?

OK, on the tensioners:

I have not dismantled a tensioner. So this is based solely on my having _viewed_ tensioners up close.

The tensioners looked to me to be based on neg’ator springs. These are constant force springs.

But I really am not certain of this. I hope somebody with more knowledge will comment.

I am certain you should not be working on this without adequate support. This, for me at least, would include the shop manual and the timing setup tool.

Good luck.

jasons18
04-05-06, 05:41 PM
Well i found out upon further disassembly that the tensioner is springloaded and the spring inside mine is broke. If anyone knows if i can just purchase the tensioner and not the whole component kit let me know any information would be greatly appricieated
Thank you
Jason

german_catera_fan
04-05-06, 11:34 PM
you can buy the whole assembly only. i dont know any supplier that sells just the tensioner.

Resilient
04-06-06, 08:22 AM
When changing the timing belt... anything else to consider at the same time?

I'm about to creep over the 150 000Km on my 98 Cat, and the service schedule (I seem to recall) says to change the timing belt at this mileage... I will get it done by an actual mechanic (it's beyond my tools set, skills and I don't take chances)... anything else I should have checked at the same time?