Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  AznPrydeRegalRyde 
#1 · (Edited)
I know most hate the new BMW styling and I'll admit it doesn't work on all their cars, but I really like the look of this new e90 3 series. The M3 is going to be great!

Caught testing:

Pics of a mule doing other tests elsewhere.
It's such a beast, they need to tie it down at the end of the day: :p :D

See less See more
#4 ·
I like the new Bangle 3 Series. Its the only design he got "right"

#5 ·
illumina said:
A 4-door M3? I'll take the 2-door, but a 4-door just doesn't seem right...
Yep, there's a four door M3 coming. Given the choice, I would take the four door too. Four doors just makes more sense for any car with a backseat (sure the usability of the 3 series back seat is questionable, but I like to be able to just open a door to place items in there over having to reach over a seat).

#6 ·
gothicaleigh said:
Yep, there's a four door M3 coming. Given the choice, I would take the four door too. Four doors just makes more sense for any car with a backseat (sure the usability of the 3 series back seat is questionable, but I like to be able to just open a door to place items in there over having to reach over a seat).
I understand what you're saying, but the M3 if I'm not mistaken has always been a 2-door beast, right? I'm just not sure that this new 4-door will attract the current 2-door M3 crowd to the 4-door model if you understand what I mean...Unless it steels those from the M5 crowd...

#9 ·
Florian said:
V beater?

F
I'm not too sure, but I was under the impression that they were going to stuff a V8 in those things...

That said, if this 'Super-V' comes out, I wouldn't worry about it...Or even if you have a Maggie on a current one...

#11 ·
Florian said:
V beater?
Oh yeah. 415hp in a lighter car (remember that the e46 M3 kept pace with "only" 333hp; this is a significant increase).
Cadillac is going to need that Super V to stay competitive.

AutoWeek said:
BMW’s M3, scheduled for launch next year, will feature V8 power for the first time, derived from the same powerplant propelling its road-rocket siblings, the M5 and M6. The 4.0-liter engine should deliver 415 hp via a seven-speed sequential manual gearbox or an optional six-speed manual.
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../60327014/1065

#12 ·
danbuc said:
They had a short run of 4 door E36 M3's a while back. They didn't sell very well, so they discontinued production and stuck with the 2 door design. I saw one the other night when I was at the track.
True, they've had them before. I do think that 4 door sedans are more accepted as viable performance cars now than they were before though, so I would expect the option to do better this time around.
I'm also wondering if our own V series had something to do with them offering it again... 4 doors is definately a deciding factor to many potential customers.

The next M3 is going to be offered in 2 door, 4 door, and convertible form with the option of 6 speed manual or 7 speed SMG automatic. Sounds like they're covering their bases with an M3 for everybody.

#16 ·
gary88 said:
I don't like the hidden exhaust on the 4 door. Those 4 pipes sticking out of the rear have always been a signature M feature.
The four door pictured is a normal e90 body covering the M3 performance upgrades for testing. It's a mule, they purposely try to keep it lowkey. Hence the hidden pipes. The last two pics were just to point out that it isn't the common e90 it seemed to be. I expect the 4 door to look like the 2 door in the Nurburgring shots.

#17 ·
Caddy Man said:
I think its more like its the only design he didnt screw up as much. ;) I still like the last generation a bit better.
Agreed. I like the E36 too, however.

If the new one has a V8 I will be very ... displeased. BMW's always been known for their inline six cylinder engines. If you don't believe in the BMW I6, take a 2001 or 2002 530i for a drive. It's everything the CTS 3.6 dreams of, and the manual transmission is better (if you get that).

The lightweight inline six helps set the character of the M3, other than the brief problem with the bearings in the e46s (which was fixed), it was always one of the M3's best features. It's fairly easy to work on, it's a fairly open design, and it's just cool in terms of raw engineering. A throttle plate per cylinder for example, even way back when, in the early M3s and M5s.

I think they can probably get another 67HP out of a straight 6, maybe with minimal bore increase and a more aggressive programming of the computer ignition and valve timing, perhaps a few other things. Just electronics can pull another 20-25HP out of the e46 M3 according to Roundel magazine you know...

#18 ·
Personnally, I hate the new look. BUT, its not about the looks. It's about the drive. And if this car drives as well as the last M3, then I'll be sold.

That being said, like Zorb, I'm dissappointed that they're not putting the I6 in this car. That engine was great. The 330ci is an absolute blast to drive, and if it wasn't for the outlandish option prices and the new ugly look, I'd be driving one now instead of the CTS.

Gonna be interesting to see how the balance is with a v8 up front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.