: Dye or paint vinyl top?

ocjmakaveli
03-30-06, 12:23 AM
I'm not sure whether to use the spraypaint from SEM or use vinyl dye from somewhere else.

What process have you guys used in the past? Which is better?

caddycruiser
03-30-06, 01:26 AM
Not that I've done it, but I'm tempted to say the SEM paint just because you'll be doing white and I can't really picture "dying" white and it working well, especially if your current white top is grayed.

The SEM (or similar) would then be like a fresh coat of paint. I'm not sure on the specific durability, but a white vinyl top is ALWAYS going to be a high maintenance item (that is, if you like it looking nice), so you'd probably get a good process down to keeping it in tip-top shape and would always know if it were starting to wear again or not.

SEM stuff seems pretty hearty when people re-do complete interiors with it, so it has to be just as good on a roof. As for dying, I could see that working more if you were trying to like rejuvenate a faded red or blue top, just not white...but that's just because I've never seen one.

ocjmakaveli
03-30-06, 01:55 AM
I was actually thinking pretty much the same.

The thing is the top is starting to yellow but I can't stand the look of it in the day time.

I've got costs at about $50 for vinyl prep and the color coat cans. Not bad at all should take a few hours since I'll be letting it dry between coats but looks to be pretty straight forward. I'm glad I didn't try and remove the top :thepan: :thepan: .

I'll post before and after pics in a week or so I think I'm going to need the temp to be at 70 or so Ill have to wait for a nice day.

licenseless
03-30-06, 02:37 AM
hey were can i get new vynols for a 76 deville