: Kelly Blue Book or Edmunds.com? Who's right?

GeoGoGo
03-29-06, 06:49 PM
Guys,

I am looking at a 1994 Fleetwood Brougham with 46,362 on the clock. It's white with tan interior, heated seats, chrome wheels, vinyl top.

There is a small cigarette burn on the drivers side which is a little worn, not too bad though. The B pillar is ripped or worn completely through the fabric to the metal beneath.

I have not spoke to the owner yet, just quick looked it over. The price on the car is $7000. I have checked KBB.com and come up with a price of $5995 and Edmunds.com comes in at $3351. The owners price is way out of line but I think it is an out of touch elderly man. Straw hat on the back deck and all.

Anyone have any ideas why thre is such a discrepancy in the values? Which do you think is closer to the actual value? I have put in a request for a Carfax from a fourm membe so I have some basic information.

Any help or input will be greatly appreciated.

N0DIH
03-29-06, 07:13 PM
I paid $3800 for mine, 142K miles. Decent shape with 2 sets of tires (winter and summer).

Who is right? Pat Answer: It is worth what someone will pay. Reality check: Being the miles are low, $4-$6K is probably worth it. These cars were $39K+ new as delivered. Most falling in the $42-$43K range.

Mine is devoid of only around 4 options of all available. Homelink, full size spare, AstroRoof, Chrome wheels. It includes the rare V4P towing option even.

Don't be fooled, these cars are getting old, some have worn not so great. Depends on the owners. Mine was taken care of fairly well, but there was some minor bumper bumps that I need to fix and mine just recently torn the fabric on the B pillar that the one you are looking at has. Easy to fix though.

On average, avoid R1P options, those cars are purchased for fleets like limo use, funerals, etc. They get a lot more abuse. But a good price is a good price. I found a 94 FW (not Brougham) with R1P that was going for $2500. 180K miles. Really not bad shape. You can see it here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/819465/4. The car has been gone for a while, but it gives you $2500 shape. It needed exhaust, the flowmasters that the owner put on were crackling and leaking.

GeoGoGo
03-29-06, 07:42 PM
N0DITH,

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I have owned three 9C1 in the past five years so I have some knowledge of the platform. I just got the Carfax on this one and it is legit.

What are the differances in Brougham versus non-Brougham? Thanks again!

N0DIH
03-29-06, 07:51 PM
Leather seats (can be deleted), padded roof (can be deleted), 2.93 gears (vs 2.56), cross lace alum wheels, not the Caprice looking alum wheels, Costs more... probably a lot more, but that is the main things I can think of.

caddycruiser
03-29-06, 08:00 PM
KBB is usually quite a bit inflated and Edmunds can also tend to go too low--somewhere in between is usually right.

But for a car like that, in those colors, with those options, and with that low of mileage, something like $6k would be DIRT cheap. $7k would actually seem right on to me--so I really don't think the seller is that far off:thumbsup:

I paid $4500 for a '95 with only a couple options and 117k miles this past January, just as reference.

BCs71
03-30-06, 12:44 PM
In 2003 I bought my stock old guy owned 94 Brougham for $6600.
Body in great shape, minimal doors dings and minor scratches. It was in Arizona every winter so there is NO rust whatsoever on the car, even the undercarriage.
Small cigarette burn on inner pillar cloth, the pillar on driver's side where you rub your butt on when getting in and out of vehicle was torn up, and minor wear on driver's seat. Overall not bad shape.
It had a leaky exhaust manifold (broken bolt).

He was asking $7500 or so and I got it for $6600.
Brougham with leather, alum wheels, full spare, 2.93 rear gears, cassette deck, heated seats. 90,000 miles

Hope that helps you gauge it. In 2006 if I looked at buying my same car again I would pay about $5500-6000 and be satisfied. $5000 would make me happy.

Bro-Ham
03-30-06, 12:54 PM
Hi,

Also check out nadaguides.com It's another source that banks use and it's another opinion and guide for value.

Good luck!

Dave

N0DIH
03-30-06, 01:16 PM
Oh, FWB's get rear seat vanity mirrors too. Honestly, a "useless" option often, but mine have been used for lights for the kids to read with, see mom in the car behind us, and makup touchup for my mom when we wen to the Emmy Award banquet last year and took my Caddy. We got to go in class!!

N0DITH,

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I have owned three 9C1 in the past five years so I have some knowledge of the platform. I just got the Carfax on this one and it is legit.

What are the differances in Brougham versus non-Brougham? Thanks again!

caddycruiser
03-30-06, 03:20 PM
Oh, FWB's get rear seat vanity mirrors too. Honestly, a "useless" option often, but mine have been used for lights for the kids to read with, see mom in the car behind us, and makup touchup for my mom when we wen to the Emmy Award banquet last year and took my Caddy. We got to go in class!!

Yeah...I just use mine to show off and shock people...REALLY:thumbsup:

Since the white '93 was my school car all senior year, when I finally took it out with a couple friends back then, the mirrors were the one thing that trully did amaze them...well, in addition to the big comfy seats and the silent ride:D

JoCan
03-31-06, 02:02 AM
I paid $7500 for my '95 with 65000 miles.

fleetwoodss
04-04-06, 01:01 PM
I paid 11k for my 95 back in 2003 with under 75k miles on it. No chrome, no brougham. But had bangin stereo. And VERY CLEAN!