Cadillac Owners Forum banner
997 views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Ranger 
#1 ·
hey, lookin to buy a torque wrench,

i can choose between a 25-250 lb/in with 3/8 drive

or a 50-250 lb/ft with 1/2 drive

i'm opting for the 3/8 drive as most of my sockets and accessories are 3/8, but my question is - can it handle most of the torquing needed for say.. an engine rebuild and reinstall? keep in mind it's lb/in, while the 1/2 drive is lb/ft.

i just don't wanna get stuck with a wrench that can't do the job.. if the 1/2 drive is more suitable for the job, i'll pick that up along with a 1/2 to 3/8 convertor.

thanks a lot!

#3 ·
JimD said:
Buy the 1/2" drive. The 3/8" drive would be useless for any fastener requiring more than 20.8 lb/ft (250 lb/in).

Buy a full set of 6 point SAE and a full set of Metric 1/2" sockets also.
alright cool, thanks.. haha this ends my search for the 3/8 drive wrench that seems to be strangely out of stock everywhere

#5 ·
I could never understand why a inch/pound torque wrench would be made in 3/8 drive. It is beyond overkill. Anyway, get a good 3/8 drive or 1/2 drive foot/pound torque wrench. Just keep in mind, that many projects will require more than 20 ft/lb, but less than 50 ft/lb. So try and stay away from a 50-250 torque wrench, if it will be your only one.

Don

#9 ·
I have 3.
I have one for pound inches,3/8" drive 50-250 then a 3/8" drive 20 to 150 pound feet and a big onefor pound feet 1/2" drive from 35 to a large number that I can't remember.
I rarely use the big one except on brake caliper mounting brackets, cyilnder heads or crank bolts.
The 3/8 pound foot wrench I use often.
The little one I use on valve covers, intakes and lots of light engine stuff.

If you get one, look for that middle one. If you get two buy the two smaller ones or look for ones that have broader ranges (rare).
It mostly depends on the kind of work you want to do.

#11 ·
ooh boy looks like i'm gonna be heading back to the store then! not excited bout the money, but i sure love buying new tools! haha after i bought my 1/2" wrench, i actually took it to work with me the next day and kept it on my desk beside me.. playin around with it when i had the time.

i guess once i sell my timesert kit, i'll go pick up the 3/8" drive.. and maybe a new socket set too :bouncy:

#12 ·
I have had my 1/2" drive Proto torque wrench for over fifty years and it will still calibrate. I have a sizable selection but my favorite is a 3/8 " drive with a swivel head that was sold years ago for AC aircraft spark plugs and goes to fifty ft. lbs. Good tools will last you forever if you don't abuse them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.