: Make Your Cat Really Purrrrr!

heavycat
03-28-06, 01:37 PM
I just installed a K&N intake on my 2000 Cat. Great buy, my cat really makes an amazing deep sound. I was looking to put a new muffler to get a little deeper sound but this intake did the trick. As soon as you accelerate up to about 2500 rpms, you hear your cat purr. Five minute install at about $20-$30 cdn. Also a bonus is that the acceleration has increased also, you dont get as much of that lag/hesitation at low rpms, that i feel sometimes with my cat. I'm goin to see what sort of better mileage I get and ill let you guys know. All in All, new intake sounds amazing!!!!! and was a great investment, and i recomend it to anyone lookin to improve their Cat without blowin your budget.:thumbsup:

Vesicant
03-28-06, 07:28 PM
I just installed a K&N intake on my 2000 Cat. Great buy, my cat really makes an amazing deep sound. I was looking to put a new muffler to get a little deeper sound but this intake did the trick. As soon as you accelerate up to about 2500 rpms, you hear your cat purr. Five minute install at about $20-$30 cdn. Also a bonus is that the acceleration has increased also, you dont get as much of that lag/hesitation at low rpms, that i feel sometimes with my cat. I'm goin to see what sort of better mileage I get and ill let you guys know. All in All, new intake sounds amazing!!!!! and was a great investment, and i recomend it to anyone lookin to improve their Cat without blowin your budget.:thumbsup:

Interesting... are there any plans for exhaust work in the future? I'd like to do what you've done as well as modify the exhaust somehow...

Judging it should sound quite good with a nice system on it.

ps. And putting just a K&N replacement in is much better than using an open air cone filter for anyone else who wants to know. :)

AllenPacla
03-28-06, 07:45 PM
I have the K&N replacement filter and then i removed the resonator and the sound was awesome. But it needed some getting use to. I experimented with the resonator out and regular air filter and i seem to kind the sound better, it's not growling that loud, it's more like a deep hum right now, and one observer said that it sounds like the Inifiniti G35 which i haven't heard yet. I read an article about the amount of dust that K&N filters and other high flow filters let inside the engine and it's making me think twice if I will put back the K&N filter or stick with the regular one. So far, I'm happy with the regular and resonator off combination.

heavycat
03-28-06, 08:23 PM
I never thought aobut taking out the resonator. Im goin to try that. About the dust, all you have to do is put somesort of filter in the tube that brings in air through grill.
I dont know if i really have plans for the exaust. If i ever do decide too, i would want to take advantge of the dual exuast, maybe run one on either side. But that also means new body kit, and i havent really found any that appeal to me. For now ill think i'll stay stock. Let me know about your ideas, i dont really have any experience with exhaust systems.

quicksilver7
03-28-06, 10:38 PM
Where did you get a K&N Filter for $20 -30 CDN????

heavycat
03-29-06, 12:10 PM
Where did you get a K&N Filter for $20 -30 CDN????
Ebay is where i got mine, but it is not to difficult to get one on the net. I think maybe parts.com. But if you have access to Ebay, you can find everything you need. Dont be fooled though, people often market parts as Catera Specific Parts, alot of the time they are not specific to any vehicle. But as far as intake goes, a standard K&N filter and a 3" pipe is all you need.:bouncy:

gixxer_751
03-29-06, 02:25 PM
I have the K&N replacement filter and then i removed the resonator and the sound was awesome. But it needed some getting use to. I experimented with the resonator out and regular air filter and i seem to kind the sound better, it's not growling that loud, it's more like a deep hum right now, and one observer said that it sounds like the Inifiniti G35 which i haven't heard yet. I read an article about the amount of dust that K&N filters and other high flow filters let inside the engine and it's making me think twice if I will put back the K&N filter or stick with the regular one. So far, I'm happy with the regular and resonator off combination.

heard the same thing from my mechanic, he recommended the fram airhog airfilter

speedkillz
03-29-06, 04:59 PM
Are there 2 Rosonator's on the catera?..what type of mod is necessary to do this?...I would assume removing the two and replacing with straight pipe?

heavycat
03-30-06, 11:35 AM
as far as I know their is just the one resonator in the intake and one in the exhaust. To install the aftermarket air filter all you need is like a 3" piece of tubing and some hose clamps. Just remove the top of the air box and resonator, and insert the tubing into the factory hose, and your good to go.