: Forum Opinion on 2000 STS

hvymtlc5
01-13-04, 06:07 PM
New to the Cadillac world - sport bikes are my thing. Looking to purchase a 2000 STS this week. Want to add mufflers (good reviews on the threads) and a few other perf. minor mods. Is there anything I should look for or be aware of in the 2000 STS befor I make the purchase? Car has 36K on it and runs excellent. BTW does the STS make more HP than the SLS? What and how much? Last question, driven reasonable...what can I expect for mileage in town and on the road? Thanks!!

Mike

Playdrv4me
01-13-04, 08:01 PM
New to the Cadillac world - sport bikes are my thing. Looking to purchase a 2000 STS this week. Want to add mufflers (good reviews on the threads) and a few other perf. minor mods. Is there anything I should look for or be aware of in the 2000 STS befor I make the purchase? Car has 36K on it and runs excellent. BTW does the STS make more HP than the SLS? What and how much? Last question, driven reasonable...what can I expect for mileage in town and on the road? Thanks!!

Mike

Hi Welcome to the Forum! :welcome:

For future reference you might want to post directly in the Seville and El Dorado section youll find many quick replies there.

My opinion would be to get a 2001 or newer since they have alot more goodies starting in 2001, like 17" Wheels and Xenon headlights depending upon option package. I think in 2000 they moved to regular unleaded fuel so you should be good there. Major issues to look for: Check the steering carefully, MANY 97-02 GM Cars (including my previous 2001 STS) use a linkage in the steering called an Intermediate Steering Shaft. This is improperly designed or lubricated and goes dry over time. This can cause a bumpiness or thud like quality to the steering when going over bumps while turning. The fix for this is usually just to grease the ISS again, but this doesnt last very long. Check to make sure no smoke comes from the tailpipes carefully. Make sure the transmission shifts smoothly and check the heated seats, AC and especially the message display in the dash for any error messages that come up. More than likely the problems you will have will be electronic, not mechanical, the Driver Information Center is a good aid here. Make sure there is no water pooled in the carpet of the trunk as the trunk door tends to leak through the seal and check for oil "seepage" through the case. Some 2000's developed a problem with the porosity of the casing on the N* engine.

Horesepower on the STS is 300 and the SLS is 275. On the SLS it comes at a lower RPM and the torque curve is a little better so there is some more low end grunt, but not alot. I believe city and highway mileage should fall about 14-16 and 18-20 respectively.

That about covers it, im sure the other guys will have some great suggestions. take care of her and shell last you a long time!

elwesso
01-13-04, 08:07 PM
I think you can expect a bit better gas mileage from a 2000 STS in town.. Hell thats what my good for nothign gas guzzling Q gets, driven VERY VERY VERY hard.......

I personally would go with a 99 model, or something above a 2000... Cadillac has problems with first year designs..... Usually they can get most of them worked out 2nd year, but the final year is ALWAYS best......

One major thing I would look at is take off the oil filler cap... Look inside and if you see ANYTHING but perfectly clean metal (no black or brown stuff) then you should look away.....!

Do a search on stuff to look for when buying a used car.... ive wrote about this time and time again......

Playdrv4me
01-13-04, 09:00 PM
I think you can expect a bit better gas mileage from a 2000 STS in town.. Hell thats what my good for nothign gas guzzling Q gets, driven VERY VERY VERY hard.......

I personally would go with a 99 model, or something above a 2000... Cadillac has problems with first year designs..... Usually they can get most of them worked out 2nd year, but the final year is ALWAYS best......

One major thing I would look at is take off the oil filler cap... Look inside and if you see ANYTHING but perfectly clean metal (no black or brown stuff) then you should look away.....!

Do a search on stuff to look for when buying a used car.... ive wrote about this time and time again......

Yea I should probably revise that, those were my numbers but I drive pretty hard. Probably more like 18-19 and 20-22

Cadillacboy
01-14-04, 06:39 PM
Hi and welcome :)

I am happy for you because you will switch to the best trademark and GM's flagsheep...Don't worry about the mileage because Northstar is not consuming as thought ,no more fall to Mercedes E 240 on the mileage ,that's miraclious because of such a power falls in considerable way ,anyway I don't care with that...On the other hand, STS has more features to SLS especially more woodtrim, miscalenous accessories like heated seats (optional on SLS)
Also, STS has grille ounted wreath and crest emblem ,but it's onto the boot to SLS
I am sure you will enjoy the car :)