Cadillac Owners Forum banner
3K views 37 replies 16 participants last post by  Jonas McFeely 
#1 ·
It was as bad as the Cadillac Allante going around/passing the Mercedes taxi cab years ago.. Mentioned was the Zephyr's interior being "miles ahead of Cadillac and Mercedes". Some assinine magazine made that statement - but it was Lincoln's stupidity to use the statement in a commercial. It's ridiculous. How much money do these firms who make the commercials charge?

"Miles ahead of Cadillac and Mercedes"... :alchi:

#4 ·
Lincoln is starting to come around. Not in terms of performance but their quality is definatly taking a big step forward. The interior of their new cars/trucks are way nicer looking then that of Cadillac's and Benz's. Benz interiors have and always will be boring, thats just the way those germans are. And Cadillac's interiors could be more luxorious looking. Between Cadillac and Lincoln the Lincoln's get the nod for better looking interiors. Performance wise though Cadillac gets the big nod ahead of Lincoln

#8 ·
It reminds me of the corny Hyundai commercial where they announce that the Azera is just as big as the BMW 750i. As soon as I walked near an Azera in the Hyundai showroom, what sounded like one of those Viper (Protected by Viper! Stand back!) car alarms stated that fact..

I wonder if Lincoln showrooms are going to have the same nonsense... "Hey, I see you like that Zephyr. It's Miles ahead of Cadillac and Mercedes"...

#11 ·
I'd own a Hyundai Azera before I would buy a Lincoln.. hell I would one one before I'd buy any FORD product. I owned a Hyundai in highschool, the dreaded Excel. You know it was the best damn car I ever owned it never left me stranded it always started. When I traded it in it still looked brand new and 150K on the odo.

#13 ·
Administrator said:
It reminds me of the corny Hyundai commercial where they announce that the Azera is just as big as the BMW 750i. As soon as I walked near an Azera in the Hyundai showroom, what sounded like one of those Viper (Protected by Viper! Stand back!) car alarms stated that fact..

I wonder if Lincoln showrooms are going to have the same nonsense... "Hey, I see you like that Zephyr. It's Miles ahead of Cadillac and Mercedes"...
that is almost as bad as i believe it is Honda now advertising features that Cadillac has had for years...oil life indicator, rain sensing wipers, heated seats, etc, etc...

#15 ·
I'm not trying to turn this into a "my Cadillac is better than your Lincoln" debate - I just think the commercial and the statement made within are ridiculous. Lincoln should keep that stupid nonsense to themselves, just like Cadillac shouldn't be passing a Mercedes taxi cab with an Allante...

#16 · (Edited)
Administrator said:
I'm not trying to turn this into a "my Cadillac is better than your Lincoln" debate - I just think the commercial and the statement made within are ridiculous. Lincoln should keep that stupid nonsense to themselves, just like Cadillac shouldn't be passing a Mercedes taxi cab with an Allante...
Yes, but the new STS scaring ballroom dancing bimmers and benz's is still fine. :D

I love that commercial.

Lincoln commercials do tend to be on the rediculous side. Like the TownCar commercials that focused on it's power trunk (ooh :rolleyes: things are pretty bad when your best aspect is your trunk) or the infamous ad where a Navigator pulls the much more powerful Escalade up the boat launch.
Entertaining, but I think the Penalty of Leadership applies to these pokes from the competition.

#19 ·
advertising has gotten more ruthless in the last couple of years, and it wasnt gradual either, i remember until recently it was:

"the most powerful truck in its class"
or
"the roomiest sedan in its class"
or
"more durable than the competition"

then one day i saw a commercial that went a little somethin like this:

"...ford put alot of manpower into redesignin the new f-150....
they should have put more horsepower in it!" <---chevy commercial

now they got commercials with one truck makin another "wet itself"

straight callin em out by brand name and model etc

#20 ·
OffThaHorseCEO said:
advertising has gotten more ruthless in the last couple of years, and it wasnt gradual either, i remember until recently it was:

"the most powerful truck in its class"
or
"the roomiest sedan in its class"
or
"more durable than the competition"

then one day i saw a commercial that went a little somethin like this:

"...ford put alot of manpower into redesignin the new f-150....
they should have put more horsepower in it!" <---chevy commercial

now they got commercials with one truck makin another "wet itself"

straight callin em out by brand name and model etc
Though i hate mitsubishi with an all-consuming fiery pashion,that commercial was awesome.

#22 ·
Jesda said:
I took a look at a few CTS's this past weekend at Plaza Motors, and the door panels looked like packing foam that was cut and glued to the door.

The Zephyr interior appears to be miles ahead of the CTS, and thats where the goodness probably ends. That will change in 08.
Exactly. I got into a CTS-V and was looking around in the interior and was completely turned off. I think my old Mark VIII's interior is a lot more nice looking then that of the CTS. And if you guys think the CTS's interior is nice while the Zephyr's is nasty/boring then that just goes to show you how you are being so brand biased that its not even funny. Thats the main reason I like Jesda, he like's Cadillac but just because he like's Cadillac doesn't mean it's the end all for him

#25 ·
I'm not a fan of the Cadillac CTS interior either. I think it's cheap and unCadillaclike.. If the commercial said, "miles ahead of the Cadillac CTS", rather than "miles ahead of Cadillac and Mercedes", I wouldn't have started this thread...

And as far as Bias goes, I'm probably one of the most critical people around here in comparisons of Cadillac to its competitors...

G
#26 ·
Blackout said:
Exactly. I got into a CTS-V and was looking around in the interior and was completely turned off. I think my old Mark VIII's interior is a lot more nice looking then that of the CTS. And if you guys think the CTS's interior is nice while the Zephyr's is nasty/boring then that just goes to show you how you are being so brand biased that its not even funny. Thats the main reason I like Jesda, he like's Cadillac but just because he like's Cadillac doesn't mean it's the end all for him
My comments were more based on the Mercedes interiors which I will stick with by saying that they are much nicer than anything Ford has ever put out. I have checked out a few CTS's and will say that the materials are more fitting to a Cavalier than Caddy. Cheap plastics galore. My '98 Deville isnt much (if any) better. Entering my S320 Benz is a totally different experience than entering my Deville. The Mercedes feels "rich" inside whereas the Deville feels much lower level. My old 91 Fleetwood feels better made than the Deville, less techno stuff but more solid overall. I'm not bashing my Cadies or the CTS but things are what they are. I test drove a Lincoln LS and thought it was flimsy with cheap plastics as well. The Cadilllacs and Lincolns really feel substantial when compared to lower level American cars but when they are put next to Japanese or German counterparts the difference becomes clear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.