: Options to repair ONE engine block thread

eldo1994
03-27-06, 01:14 PM
I have a '94 Eldorado. I am replacing the head gasket (front or radiator side) and the threads are damaged on one hole. I don't have the time or money to do the Timeserts thing. What are my options to repair just this hole? Does anyone have the specific tap and die information to install a helicoil thread? And, are these M11 by 1.5 threads? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Addition: Is there a way to purchase less than the entire kit for the timeserts? I haven't seen anything less then $500 for the kit. I know that I can buy one helicoil.

Dadillac
03-27-06, 01:18 PM
If you are going to go through the trouble to heli-coil, you may as well timesert. The timesert is much stronger by design than the heli-coil. On both you need to drill and insert. So why not do the stronger one. Also, just because you have an issue with one thread now, doesn't mean that the other nine are good to go. Many have fixed only the damaged threads, only to have one or more of the others, fail upon reassembly, or shortly thereafter. Do yourself a HUGE favor, and timesert all 10 threads. You will be a much happier person to be around.

Don

mtflight
03-27-06, 02:21 PM
I have a '94 Eldorado. I am replacing the head gasket (front or radiator side) and the threads are damaged on one hole. I don't have the time or money to do the Timeserts thing. What are my options to repair just this hole? Does anyone have the specific tap and die information to install a helicoil thread? And, are these M11 by 1.5 threads? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Addition: Is there a way to purchase less than the entire kit for the timeserts? I haven't seen anything less then $500 for the kit. I know that I can buy one helicoil.

Helicoils will fail. The Timesert kit was developed concurrently with the Northstar production--it meets the requirements for a successful repair.

Try eBay. Timesert.com and also keep in mind you can usually turn around and sell the kit.... the only thing you keep are the timeserts which are not that expensive.

zonie77
03-27-06, 04:40 PM
Ditto on Mtflight.

If one is failed I wouldn't trust the others. Get a used kit and resell it when you finish. You will only have the cost of the inserts. There is minimal wear on the tools. They would probably last hundreds of jobs.

Ranger
03-27-06, 05:09 PM
I'll just add one more vote to all the above mentioned advice. Fight the urge to ignore it. It is good advice.

Zorb750
03-28-06, 08:35 AM
The Helicoil will not work. You need the Timesert. If you don't have the $308 to get the kit from Enginetech, you might consider buying yourself a nice Geo and forgetting about the Cadillac until you can afford to fix it right.

jupiter57
03-28-06, 10:53 AM
I have to concur with everyone above.
Heli-Coils will fail.
I have a perfect N* in my garage that had been Heli-Coiled, and it failed in less than 5000 miles.
It's a crying shame too, because I believe it had been rebuilt as it had no leaks, used hardly any oil, and the heads looked like new!

(Anyone wanna buy a N* engine, cheap?)

denscor
03-28-06, 11:36 AM
Heli-Coils will fail.
I have a perfect N* in my garage that had been Heli-Coiled, and it failed in less than 5000 miles.
It's a crying shame too, because I believe it had been rebuilt as it had no leaks, used hardly any oil, and the heads looked like new!

how much? How many miles?
:thumbsup:

chevelle
03-28-06, 12:12 PM
Heli-Coils will fail.

It can be repaired. Pull the helicoils out and timesert it with the larger OD "bigserts". No problem. You will have to drill the bolt hole clearance in the deck of the block slightly oversize but that is really not an issue. The bigserts are even stronger than the conventional timeserts once in place.

eldo1994
03-29-06, 11:22 AM
Isn't there a way around using the kit? Can't the drill bit, tap, tool to insert the timesert, etc.. be bought separately from less expensive sources?

Pjs
03-31-06, 05:43 AM
Check Ebay...there is a machinist that makes his own kits, inserts and all...but I can't remember if it's cheaper

Zorb750
04-01-06, 05:53 AM
It's a little cheaper, and looks good actually, though I only paid $308 for a timesert set, then $.80 for each of the additional ten inserts from Enginetech. The tools are specific to the job and the installation is a walk in the park. I've done 3 engines now, am working on #4, and it's quite easy if you take your time.