: Airbus A380 - in 7 minutes

EcSTSatic
03-27-06, 11:54 AM
You don't have to be in the aerospace industry to appreciate what a feat it is for a consortium of several countries to bring togather a plane of this magnitude. Talk about specialized operations, watch this video! (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3046542226114078023)

gary88
03-27-06, 01:33 PM
That was really neat. I love watching those kind of things.

gdwriter
03-27-06, 03:50 PM
Nice video, but the A380 is one butt-ugly airplane—the Pontiac Aztek of the skies. It looks like it had a lobotomy from the front. It has none of the elegance or grace of the Boeing 747. It's just big.

Airbus A380 head on:
http://photos.airliners.net/photos/middle/2/1/2/1011212.jpg

Boeing 747 head-on:
http://photos.airliners.net/photos/middle/7/8/3/1021387.jpg

Airbus A380 in flight:
http://photos.airliners.net/photos/middle/8/1/0/0826018.jpg

Boeing 747 in flight:
http://photos.airliners.net/photos/middle/1/3/3/0888331.jpg

I predict the A380 will end up a costly failure for Airbus. Boeing's strategy of smaller planes and point-to-point service with the 787 and 777 will prove more popular than giant hub-and-spoke operations with the A380. And I think the economics of the new 747-8 will win a number of orders from airlines that might have been considering the A380.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-27-06, 03:52 PM
Nice video, but the A380 is one butt-ugly airplane—the Pontiac Aztek of the skies. It looks like it had a lobotomy from the front. It has none of the elegance or grace of the Boeing 747. It's just big.

Hah...kinda reminds me of the 91-92 Caprices!

Night Wolf
03-27-06, 05:25 PM
Heh.... I guess being in Aviation this stuff isn't all that new... I've seen the full 3-hour movie of that...

I am not fond of Airbus... I like Boeing, its definitly a brand/country thing... I just don't like airbus.

I have my own views on the A380.... which are that the thing is, from a logical standpoint, useless. First, only about 3 airports in the wolrd can handle it as it is, so all the airports are going to need alot of work.... Also, they claim they are going to seat 555 people on this thing. Think that that, that is 555 people at the airport terminal waiting to get on the plane, 555 people getting off the plane.... that is 1,110 people, just moving at 1 terminal.... multiply that by 5 or 6 gates in a row, and where exactly are you going to store, literally thousands of people moving on and off a few planes? Its just not going to happen. You think it takes long to get luggage orgaized and seated to take off now? Wait until you have to wait for 550 people. The object of this plane, Airbus says, is to se 1 plane where they would used to have to use 2 flights... like NY-Paris or something, Ok, I can see that... but its the ONLY use for that plane, you aren't going to fly to another state, or even across the US on an A380, its just not happening. Boeing realizes the market isn't in larger planes, but rather smaller, more efficent Twins.... 4 engine planes are horribly unefficent, and the Boeing 777 is a perfect score, Boeing knows their age old 747 has what it takes to keep going, and the airlines already love it. Also why the new 787 Dreamliner is... a single decker Twin. This is what the airlines want, not some huge plane you can't even fly into any airports.

Do I think it'll fail? I dunno, I highly doubt Airbus is going to go out from it, but I don't think it'll catch on great.... but there is one very important aspect that needs to be considered...

Airbus is a European company. Before this plane, Airbus's biggest plane was the ~A320 series, about a 737 in terms of capacity. I don't forsee alot of American companies picking the A380 up, and in fact, there are very few orders from the Americans here.... where all the orders are coming from is, all the Russain, Asain, Middle Eastern, and European nations. Its all a pollitical game, They wanted a jumbo jet, they had to choose from Boeing, or.... Boeing, that was it. Now they are all putting orders in for the A380, not because they need the planes size, but more because its not American, and they don't want an American plane... its all pollitics and about who gets the money.

Also, the A380 is not a pretty plane at all... I haven't seen an Airbus I like.... but gosh, its hard to say theA380 is *ugly* because there is worse coming from that company.... an example? Well... how do you think they moved large sections of the A380 around while it was being built? It was too big for roads.... so they had to create a plane, just to haul parts of the other plane.... I present the most ugly modern aircraft... if not one of the most ugly aircraft of all time.... Coming from someone very much into aviation, I must say, this is truely an ugly aircraft, it's called the Beluga, and for good reason:

http://meltingpot.fortunecity.com/clyde/808/airbus/beluga.jpg

http://home.i-cable.com/dick_ming/images/AIRBUS.300-600ST.3.jpg

http://home.i-cable.com/dick_ming/images/AIRBUS.300-600ST.4.jpg

http://www.eads.net/xml/content/OF00000000400004/1/85/535851.jpg

Sandy made alot of great points about the whole buying American car thing... well, this is an industry with BILLIONS of dollars more then the auto industry, the amount of money involved in all this is mind boggling..... and there is a large chance that the US may loose alot of sales in the future.... and it isn't because "they" build the better airliner.....

EcSTSatic
03-28-06, 12:22 PM
31 people injured in an evacuation drill and they call it successful!?

They mis-spelled "evacuation" (http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7BE5243FD7%2D3603%2D48C2%2D9258%2 D7DA480B40A66%7D&dist=newsfinder&siteid=google) in the title :thepan:

Night Wolf
03-28-06, 03:11 PM
LOL! imagine having a freakin drill on that thing and breaking your leg over it? (as was reported)

873 people! gosh... that thing is not going to be a sucess.... nobody has the room for that kind of people at terminals.... coming, going and times multiple gates.

But I guess 31 people getting injured out of 873 is nothing, I mean its *only* 3.5%.... and who cares about 3.5% of the population? :bigroll:

This was just a drill, imagine a real emergency, people become stupid, and frantic, and do anything they can..... that 31 is going to multiply... by atleast 10.... then more people will get hurt because nobody will be able to get off the plane.

So that plane is large enough to fit everyone in my old high school on it... students, teachers, staff..... and still have plenty of seats left over.....

Jesda
03-28-06, 06:20 PM
http://www.military.cz/usa/air/in_service/aircraft/f15e/pics/f15activeb.jpg

Loud, boisterous, and beautiful. You can't get more American than a St Louis-built McDonnell-Douglas F15 Eagle. Boeing sucked the soul out of the American aviation industry when they bought MD.

Night Wolf
03-28-06, 07:14 PM
http://www.military.cz/usa/air/in_service/aircraft/f15e/pics/f15activeb.jpg

Loud, boisterous, and beautiful. You can't get more American than a St Louis-built McDonnell-Douglas F15 Eagle. Boeing sucked the soul out of the American aviation industry when they bought MD.

coughcoughcough

http://www.machtres.com/Douglas%20DC-3.jpg

Its just my favorite airplane...ever.

I agree.... that Boeing did kill alot of great designs from Douglas..... but... as much as I really like Douglas, they were going under.... and I'd rather Boeing buy them out then, say.... Airbus. Boeing wanted Douglas because Douglas had loads of military contracts....

Atleast Boeing is still a reputable, and nice looking plane....

Jonas McFeely
03-28-06, 09:09 PM
http://www.warlinks.com/background/1024/corsair.jpg

Stoneage_Caddy
03-28-06, 10:29 PM
800+ people in a airplane ....lets see thats an additional 600 more reasons for me not to fly , and 600 more variations of the common cold i would catch being abord the 300mph version of the "Center For Disease controll" ....becuse only those guys have more viruses in a tube then airbus

davesdeville
03-29-06, 07:08 AM
Before this plane, Airbus's biggest plane was the ~A320 series, about a 737 in terms of capacity.

I agree with everything you've said pretty much, but: the A340 and A330 are both significantly bigger than the 320/321. The Beluga was developed to haul A340 parts around IIRC. And I kinda like the A340.

70eldo
03-30-06, 03:49 AM
Hi guys. I happen to work for Airbus on the A380 project in Hamburg. It seems that some of you should keep your knowlegde to the Cadillac rather than the aerospace industry :D

I also worked for Lockheed-Martin in Ft. Worth on the JSF Project. I am also a big fan of Boeing. But you just have to put your patriotism aside and swallow the fact that Boeing has been behind on new technology. They are catching up big time with the 787. But they overdo it in a matter that the 787 is just a little too expensive and doesn't sell that well (you can imagine how we think about the 'dream' in dream liner). A really really great plane though!!! It looks very sexy and has tons of new technology.

I think it is amazing how they manufacture aiplanes that are assembled from parts that come frome multiple locations. The roads to Toulouse have been widened to accomodate the transportation of those hughe A380 sections. Before, the A330/340 sections have been flown in by the Beluga. But the Beluga is too small for the A380 sections.

Other than some mention, the A380 can be handled by practically all major airports in the world, without altering the terminals (much). The project wouldn't even have started without those claims.

In an evacuation test it is alowed to have some injuries. Mind you you are sliding down a steep slide from 24 feet high! Now, those injuries are from multiple tests during 12 hours of testing. So, the number of injuries during one evacuation of 853 passengers is very little. The guy that broke his upper leg was an elderly guy. If that happens during a real evacuation, you are still happy you didn't burn up, right?

Other than the A380, Airbus has the A330/A340 line. In fact the A340-600 is the world longest airplane and only a few passengers of from the 747.

And in fact, Airbus is the world largest airplane manufacturer, with the highest sales numbers. And they do not only sell in Europe, but world wide. Also in the USA. So you will be able to enjoy them too :)

Ok, it was not to be meant as advertisement. But some of you people have to losen up a little. And maybe be careful to talk about stuff you don't know about :)

EcSTSatic
03-30-06, 08:14 AM
Airports in Europe may (I doubt) be able to accommodate the A380 without much work but here in the US, LaGuardia and other major airports are(have) spent major $$ to support that monstrosity. This includes runways, jetways and ground support equipment. Some airports have come out and flatly said "We are not going to spend that kind of money!". You can bet the cost will be passed on to the passengers!
Drilling on the A380 seems like skydiving. Why leave a perfectly good airplane and run the risk of injuring yourself from those heights? Do you get extra pay?
The biggest problem I have with moving that many people at the same time is traveling on international flights and having to go through customs. Does Airbus think we are a bunch of cattle or sheep that will accept standing in long lines to get inspected? Especially during the high alert status these days? Or is this another accommodation that airports will have to make to process this tidal wave of humanity? Then there is the simple task of boarding and unboarding that many people. You think you get annoyed by the process now...just wait!

I worked at Boeing for 25 years before our facility was sold to Onex. Now it is Spirit Aerosystems and we are looking at other customers including Airbus. So from this position, it's a win-win situation. It still doesn't mean the issues are non-existant.

Night Wolf
03-30-06, 10:59 AM
The triple 7 is a very advanced plane, I don't see how Boeing needs to catch up...

Of course Airbus is sold in the US... I've been on plenty of them.

I will gurantee that in a real emergency, there is going to be far more injuries and deaths then in a drill. In the drill every is organized and whatnot... in a real emergency, people turn to animals and make a mad rush to try and get out. 850 people trying to exit thru 6-12 exits that only allow 1 person at a time is a diaster waiting to happen. You read about people stampeading as various locations all the time, and hundreds of people getting injured. This will be no different.

If I put my patriotism aside, I'd be driving a Toyota, vote for Kerry, say the US is a horrible place all that. Its not happening, I think patriotism is a great reason to choose one brand over another. You don't think it works both ways?

From everything I have been reading, most all large airports will need to do extensive work to handle the A380.

BTW, 70Eldo, who were the multiple "stick to Cadillac and not aerospace industry" comments toward?

gdwriter
03-30-06, 01:52 PM
...the 787 is just a little too expensive and doesn't sell that well...

Actually, the 787 has been the most successful product launch in Boeing's history. According to Boeing's March 7 press release announcing an order from Kenya Airways, "Boeing currently has 385 total orders and commitments worldwide."

To be fair, I looked up news releases from Airbus on the A380. According to Airbus, "Some 25 airports will be A380-ready by the end of 2006 and around 35 more by 2010." Over at Boeing, more than 200 airports worldwide can accommodate the 747.

According to another Airbus press release, the A350, which is a similar size to the 787, "has now received 172 orders and commitments." And the Airbus Web site shows the A380 has 159 orders.

I believe competition is good and would not want either Boeing nor Airbus to have a monopoly on large commercial aircraft. But I will admit a personal preference for Boeing. My Dad was a crew chief on the Boeing B-52 Stratofortress for most of his career in the Air Force, and I have great affection for the mighty BUFF.

So I stand by my earlier statement that Boeing's strategy with the 787, 777 and 747-8 will prove more successful than the Airbus A350 and A380. And I still think the A380 is fugly.

Night Wolf
03-30-06, 09:35 PM
B-52 = sweet!

Its right up there with the DC-3.

planes that were made a loooong time ago, and stuff kick major ass today..... flat out rule. Standing the test of time is perhaps the most difficult thing for something to do. The B-52 continues to kickass in all parts of the military, the DC-3... hell, UPS still runs a few of them, lots of charters run them, bush pilots.... legends will never die.

70eldo
04-03-06, 04:43 AM
Dear Night Wolf

Just what I was affraid of, my relply on the Airbus comments were taken as personal attack. Which were absolutely not. That's why I put a nice little smiley after that comment. And if you read a little further you read that I think some people need to lighten up. Meaning don't be so uptight over Airbus being more successful than Boeing at the moment. It is a moving market and the competition is healthy.
Geez, I just reply to some faulty information and I am happy to supply the correct information. But if you rather want to believe the hype... I don't care less.

I am a contractor, so my soul can also easily be sold to Boeing. I love aviation in general, so I don't put any manufacturer in favour. But I do read facts and I am closer to the Airbus facts than you are... that's all. So please don't take my comments as an offense. Thanks!

No hard feelings.

Jonas McFeely
04-03-06, 08:25 AM
Dear Night Wolf

Just what I was affraid of, my relply on the Airbus comments were taken as personal attack. Which were absolutely not. That's why I put a nice little smiley after that comment. And if you read a little further you read that I think some people need to lighten up. Meaning don't be so uptight over Airbus being more successful than Boeing at the moment. It is a moving market and the competition is healthy.
Geez, I just reply to some faulty information and I am happy to supply the correct information. But if you rather want to believe the hype... I don't care less.

I am a contractor, so my soul can also easily be sold to Boeing. I love aviation in general, so I don't put any manufacturer in favour. But I do read facts and I am closer to the Airbus facts than you are... that's all. So please don't take my comments as an offense. Thanks!

No hard feelings.

AMERICA GOOD! REST OF WORLD BAD!

you could provide miles ot factual, statictical information and he would straight call you liar and disagree.

EcSTSatic
04-03-06, 08:59 AM
Let's keep it civil guys. It's hard to keep nationality out of it but the fact is our markets and our workforce depend on both.

I do have another article on the "success" (http://www.kansas.com/mld/eagle/business/industries/aviation/14237236.htm) of Airbus. No brag...just fact as the Sonnetts used to say.

70eldo
04-03-06, 09:21 AM
As I said, the competition is healthy... :D