: Cat 98 Radio woes... (Redux)

Resilient
03-27-06, 11:29 AM
It's been discussed in several threads, which I have followed and looked into but nothing really indicative of what I should try.
-loose wiring and all..

My scenario is similar to what others have reported: plays fine for a bit, then plink... nothing, even the clock is off... stop the car, engine off, restart and all is good.

What I don't get (still need to confirm) is it appears to be when a specific amount of base is coming from the speakers... when I'm listening to something with lot's of 'oumf'... it does it... but not on talk radio and the likes..

Before I start opening the console for the wiring check, and revise the fuses (again)... anyone have ANY other ideas?

guardian
03-28-06, 06:35 AM
It doesn't sound like a fuse because function returns spontaneously.

It sounds more like something is heating up and causing loss of function, then cooling back down allowing function to return.

The output transistors of your stereo do pass (and therefore draw) a bit more current for louder, bolder, sounds. And this would cause them to become warmer. But I cannot, in my mind, tie this to loss of function.

Wish I could offer some help; this is a challenging situation. :confused:

Resilient
03-28-06, 04:49 PM
Indeed...

On the way home from work tonight I did a quick experiment:, tunred up the Bass control to the max... and just edged the radio volume a few notches... and plink, readio went bye bye...

Do the reverse: Bass control at the lowest, I can crank up the volume past 2/3... (didn't push it).

Odd indeed... still open to ideas.

inconnu
03-28-06, 06:14 PM
I would second guardian's opinion i too think that something is getting shutdown because thermal protection for the power amp is kicking in,look for a short in speaker wires or a shorted out speaker coil,that is all i can think of right now.

Resilient
03-28-06, 09:59 PM
I'm now thinking of replacing the whole head unit... and speakers... but should I go the extra effort and find out why this weird cut out first?

Or do I just get what Ineed (filler panel, new head unit and speakers) and get it installed at a good car radio shop... then if it starts acting up, go back 'under install warranty'... I know it ain't right to do, but...

chargeit440
04-19-06, 08:50 PM
REFER BACK TO MY RADIO PROBLEM. THE BEST WAY TO TEST IT IS TO REMOVE THE MODULE FROM THE MOUNTING BRACKET. LET IT HANG ON IT'S WIRE, WHEN THE RADIO SHUTS OFF JUST TAP IT WITH YOUR LEFT FOOT. IF THE RADIO KICKS BACK ON IT'S THAT MODULE. i CAn't remember the name of it. Look back in the forum here . If not Email me back and i'll look into it.

Mike
greaper1@optonline.net

Resilient
04-26-06, 08:34 AM
I have something to try this weekend... if it works I will post both the steps I followed, the source and the results.