: Eagle Scouts

pimpin88
03-27-06, 08:43 AM
so i passed my board of review on August 17 of last year and i finally had my court of honor. this will be one of the most memorable times of my life because my 86 year old grandfather (the one who found me my Cadillac) was one of the speakers and on his way up he asked my to stand. i did, and he started to say something and just broke down into tears and gave me a huge hug.

This is the first time i have ever seen my grandfather cry. He is an amazing man, so many stories, he served in WWII and he was a scoutmaster for 49 years and his three sons are eagle scouts. i am the 9th eagle scout on my moms side of the family.

how many other guys on this forum are eagles

EcSTSatic
03-27-06, 08:59 AM
Congratulations '88! :thumbsup: That's an honor few share. I only made it to Life. I truly believe the Scouts builds character in young men.

pimpin88
03-27-06, 09:05 AM
thanks EcSTSatic,

im really glad that i did it, and best of all that my grandfather is still around to see me do it.

TeagueJT81
03-27-06, 10:17 AM
That's a real accomplishment, way to go! That's definitely not a rank they just give you, and having it will be helpful later in life. I left the Scouts with the rank of Star when I moved to TN.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-27-06, 10:38 AM
Was in scouts from 5th-8th grade, but only made it to 2nd class.

Odin8
03-27-06, 02:58 PM
Congrats on Eagle. Like so many others, I made it to Life then got distracted by girls and cars and beer and never finished Eagle. I really regret not making it now, I wish I would have stuck with it. It's a great thing to have...and yah, I agree...it builds character.

ChicagoCTS32
03-27-06, 03:04 PM
Got my Eagle in 2001. Congrats.

LittleB
03-27-06, 03:34 PM
I have a kind of off topic question...so Girl Scouts sell cookies (which I LOVE!!) but do boyscouts sell anything? I don't think I've ever seen them...I know they help out with x-mas tree pick-up etc...but anyway, just curious.

FSU_Noles
03-27-06, 06:19 PM
I have a kind of off topic question...so Girl Scouts sell cookies (which I LOVE!!) but do boyscouts sell anything? I don't think I've ever seen them...I know they help out with x-mas tree pick-up etc...but anyway, just curious.

Popcorn, at least the best I can tell.

ChicagoCTS32
03-27-06, 07:00 PM
Popcorn was the boy scouts staple.

LittleB
03-27-06, 09:14 PM
Ahhh man! I've been missing out on the boy scout's popcorn then....:nono:

I guess they don't stand outside of grocery stores and sell their popcorn?! :confused: haha never seen 'em out there selling popcorn...

ChicagoCTS32
03-27-06, 11:13 PM
nah, I usually just gave the order form to my mom and dad.... ended up with about a half a grand of popcorn sales every year. haha!

DopeStar 156
03-28-06, 12:54 AM
Haha I was in the scouts for a week when I was 5. I didn't wanna go anymore and I told my mom so she didn't make me go back........

Then I went out and bought a bunch of black clothes......... I now see the downward progression....... :crying:

Jonas McFeely
03-28-06, 02:14 AM
Haha I was in the scouts for a week when I was 5. I didn't wanna go anymore and I told my mom so she didn't make me go back........

Then I went out and bought a bunch of black clothes......... I now see the downward progression....... :crying:

lol,yeah,i stopped going to school once,didnt go back for 6 months,and that was get my ged,lol,ged

someone: well that explains alot...

pimpin88
03-28-06, 11:27 AM
ChicagoCTS32

congrats on your eagle too man.

i didnt realize how few people become Eagle Scouts

EcSTSatic
03-28-06, 11:48 AM
Interesting facts about Eagle Scouts (http://www.scouting.org/nav/enter.jsp?s=xx&c=ds&terms=&x=30&y=13):

"The fact that a boy is an Eagle Scout has always carried with it a special significance, not only in Scouting but also as he enters higher education, business or industry, and community service. The award is a performance-based achievement whose standards have been well-maintained over the years. Not every boy who joins a Boy Scout troop earns the Eagle Scout rank; only about 4 percent of all Boy Scouts do so. This represents more than 1 million Boy Scouts who have earned the rank since 1911. Nevertheless, the goals of Scoutingócitizenship training, character development, and personal fitnessóremain important for all Scouts, whether or not they attain the Eagle Scout rank."

pimpin88
03-28-06, 10:43 PM
i just read some info on eagle scouts, and it said about 2 percent of all scouts become eagles. and less then .5 of the entire male population are eagle scouts.

didnt know that!

Stoneage_Caddy
03-28-06, 10:55 PM
congrats .....

I helped my 2 best freinds at the time (there twins) get there eagle scout deals , there was a name for the big project that must be undertaken to get eagle ....each took the beatter part of two days ...it really is something special

somwhere after i made it to the rank after tenderfoot i lost interest in everything and pretty much withdrew from the world for a few years ...suposedly i had a girlfreind at the time from what my parents tell me ....dont remeber much of it....i joined the airforce and a nice drill sargent pulled my head out of my ass for me ....

Florian
03-28-06, 11:19 PM

Popcorn...but you have to go to the theater with them, then they put the popcorn on their laps, then make you reach in....

I got kicked out...I ate a brownie.

F

Stoneage_Caddy
03-28-06, 11:23 PM
I got kicked out...I ate a brownie.

F
he ....heh ...hehehehhehe...heh ....you forgot the word "out"

DDS rollin a CTS
03-29-06, 09:56 AM
The Boyscouts sell the best popcorn in the world!

pimpin - congrats on making Eagle Rank! I got mine in 2000 so I know what it takes to get there.

pimpin88
03-29-06, 11:19 AM
The Boyscouts sell the best popcorn in the world!

pimpin - congrats on making Eagle Rank! I got mine in 2000 so I know what it takes to get there.

yea, the popcorn is pretty good.

congrats to you too. yea, it takes a lot of work. my project ended up totaling over 300 hours. i'll post some pictures if i can get them sized right.

addison_ii
03-29-06, 01:32 PM
pimpin88, congratulations on your achievement. I'm currently undertaking a journey through my entrance into Freemasonry and it's a fun ride.

pimpin88
03-30-06, 10:36 PM
pimpin88, congratulations on your achievement. I'm currently undertaking a journey through my entrance into Freemasonry and it's a fun ride.

what is Freemasonry?

EcSTSatic
03-30-06, 11:07 PM
what is Freemasonry?
Google on it. You won't like what you read outside of their own publications. What does that say about a secret society? :tisk:

Catholics like myself are forbidden (http://www.sspx.ca/Angelus/1985_August/Catholics_Masonry.htm) to join the Freemasons. If it hasn't already, the Methodist Church is set to become the first Protestant Church to reject Freemasonry, advising its members not to join Masonic lodges.
I've done enough reading on my own to believe that the Church's position is correct.

Florian
03-30-06, 11:32 PM
Dont bash the Masons...we know where you live!:tisk: :eek:

F

Florian
03-30-06, 11:34 PM

Addison,

Welcome, enjoy your degrees, they are a blast. You will learn a lot in Freemansonry.

F

pimpin88
03-31-06, 09:01 AM
Google on it. You won't like what you read outside of their own publications. What does that say about a secret society? :tisk:

Catholics like myself are forbidden (http://www.sspx.ca/Angelus/1985_August/Catholics_Masonry.htm) to join the Freemasons. If it hasn't already, the Methodist Church is set to become the first Protestant Church to reject Freemasonry, advising its members not to join Masonic lodges.
I've done enough reading on my own to believe that the Church's position is correct.

hmm, im catholic as well, so i guess im forbidden too. lol. i'll have to read up on it though

Florian
03-31-06, 11:42 AM
Forbidden, thats a laugh. We have mostly Catholics in my Lodge. I wonder what the church's position is on pedophilia? Hmmm, guess thats ok.

F

EcSTSatic
03-31-06, 12:00 PM
Forbidden, thats a laugh. We have mostly Catholics in my Lodge. I wonder what the church's position is on pedophilia? Hmmm, guess thats ok.F

You know it's not the Church's position. Read the encyclicals , not the tabloids! Yes, there was a scandal that hurt the Church. It's not the first time men were wrong. It won't be the last. It doesn't make it Church teaching.
Read the documents of Freemasonry and find out you really belong to. And if there are Catholics in your lodge, well that's their choice. It doesn't make it right and it certainly doesn't mean it is accepted by the Church. Men are going to do what they want sometimes. It's called free will.

addison_ii
03-31-06, 12:23 PM
I will repost here 2 posts I made on a FreeMasonry Forum (freemasonpride.com) to answer the post made by EcSTStatic

In my research prior to petitioning my lodge to join, I found various sites claiming to present an unbiased objection to FreeMasonry. So naturally I wanted to see what they had to offer as proof that FreeMasonry shall be viewed as harmful, objectionable, and etc. What I found were people who were expelled from their lodge due to personal issues reflecting negatively upon Freemasonry, people who repeated various stereotypes without any personal verifications on their part, and people due to the ignorance of misinformation and the sheer wrongness of wanting to continue the anti-masonic trend spewing comments such as the government is under Masonic Influence, Kennedy was killed by Masons and the most famous had to have been the story of William Morgan in the 1820's. While everyone is entitled to express their own opinions about a particular subject, I believe it is wrong to denounce a group based on unsound principles. I had my own personal reservations because of being misinformed but rather than look bad upon Freemasonry I decided to ask questions and get answers for myself. People don't take the time to realize that many of the concepts, practices, and so on that are adhered to in FreeMasonry visit us in many forms throught out our life. We all take oaths, whether it be to our spouse, in a court of law, or even when we dedicate ourselves to GOD. We all adhere to a system of morality whether it be in Spiritual law, or a Physical one. I think the reason why Anti-Masons are so against FreeMasonry is because it has secrets which are not to be shared with those who are not priviledged by association. The same types of objections come into place when it comes to pledging a Fraternity or Sorority during college years. To that I must say again that we face those same types of requirements in daily life, whether it be from the treehouse club to highschool honor roll. All have certain requirements that must be met to obtain membership within and certain things that are not to be shared with non-members. To the Anti-Masons: I propose a fact finding mission. Weigh your fears and stereotypes against factual information and see what you end up with. I'm willing to assume that you will change your mind and seek further truth regarding FreeMasonry.

In my opinion FreeMasonry is a complement to religion, it encompasses a system of morality and honest behavior with not only fellow Masons but humankind as a whole. It encourages us, educates, and makes us better people. It does not conflict with religion at all but rather it strengthens the principles that religon / spirituality has instilled in us starting with our parents. I personally think that those who say it is a contradiction in our service to GOD do not fully understand the ideas and principles of Freemasonry. They are in fact many of the same principles found in many religions such as Truth,Respect, Brotherly Love. Not to mention the idea that they all work together to make us equipped to be lamps of light in a world that focuses a little too much on things of a dark nature.

BTW Thanks for your encouragement Florian!!

EcSTSatic
03-31-06, 01:29 PM
addison, you note is well written but your conclusions are seriously flawed. Masonry was denounced long before JFK. As soon as its constitution was revealed it was said to be pernicious and contrary to Christian principles. You may be getting the whitewashed version.
The issues certainly are not about "secrets". How can you suggest that anti-Masons find out for themselves if the Masons are secret? My argument is that they are not secret, they are well known by those that shun the masons. How secret can they be if they are all over the internet?
Bottom line, Freemasons are naturists. They deny that anything has been taught by God; they allow no dogma of religion or truth which cannot be understood by the human intelligence, nor any teacher who ought to be believed by reason of his authority. You've hinted at it yourself; "We all adhere to a system of morality whether it be in Spiritual law, or a Physical one".
Obviously, you guys have made your choice. So live with it.

addison_ii
03-31-06, 02:21 PM
addison, you note is well written but your conclusions are seriously flawed. Masonry was denounced long before JFK. As soon as its constitution was revealed it was said to be pernicious and contrary to Christian principles. You may be getting the whitewashed version.
The issues certainly are not about "secrets". How can you suggest that anti-Masons find out for themselves if the Masons are secret? My argument is that they are not secret, they are well known by those that shun the masons. How secret can they be if they are all over the internet?
Bottom line, Freemasons are naturists. They deny that anything has been taught by God; they allow no dogma of religion or truth which cannot be understood by the human intelligence, nor any teacher who ought to be believed by reason of his authority. You've hinted at it yourself; "We all adhere to a system of morality whether it be in Spiritual law, or a Physical one".
Obviously, you guys have made your choice. So live with it. You have misinterpreted my words: by saying: We all adhere to a system of morality whether it be in Spiritual law, or a Physical one". I mean that the principles found in FreeMasonry are found in God's Law as well as in the Law of the Land. I firmly place my beliefs and faith in GOD because IMO to deny his existence is to deny one's self. I understand that Masonry was denounced long before JFK but I merely provided a snippet of my findings during my own research. You are right, those of us who have chosen to be involved with FreeMasonry have made our choice and I fully intend to live with it. However I must say, you are entitled to your opinion on this matter and I will show the proper respect for you stating your opinion. I must ask though does not our Bible say in Matthew 7:1-5(summed up) to not judge others? I wonder when does the line from denouncing turn into judging?

EcSTSatic
03-31-06, 03:27 PM
You have misinterpreted my words: by saying: We all adhere to a system of morality whether it be in Spiritual law, or a Physical one". I mean that the principles found in FreeMasonry are found in God's Law as well as in the Law of the Land. I firmly place my beliefs and faith in GOD because IMO to deny his existence is to deny one's self. I understand that Masonry was denounced long before JFK but I merely provided a snippet of my findings during my own research. You are right, those of us who have chosen to be involved with FreeMasonry have made our choice and I fully intend to live with it. However I must say, you are entitled to your opinion on this matter and I will show the proper respect for you stating your opinion. I must ask though does not our Bible say in Matthew 7:1-5(summed up) to not judge others? I wonder when does the line from denouncing turn into judging?
Maybe this will help, maybe not. It was taken off of one of your Masonic websites, masonicworld.com. It's my opinion again that they are intentionally evading Christian accusations. By that I think Christians are well-founded in avoiding Freemasonry. After all, who is this "Great Architect"? God, which God? Why can't they mention the Holy Trinity? Is the name Jesus Christ not to be spoken? Why aren't members allowed to have a religious discussion? Is there something wrong with that? If it was just a matter of not giving preference that's one thing, but that is just the surface of the issues with Freemasons. I'm glad you believe in God. (The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit I hope). I'm sure a lot of Masons do. I hope you understand the heritage you joined also. I'm not judging you. It's not up to me to condemn any person.
So, to the person asking about Freemasons, I hope you find out the whole story. That's the last thing I'm going to say on the subject.
BTW, thank God for the Boy Scouts!

"Throughout the years since organized masonry has existed, the Christian Churches have had a number of concerns with Freemasonry some of these concerns to be well founded and some misguided to say the least. One concern is that Masonry is frequently referred to as being a secret society - certainly we do have a tradition of privacy but in actual fact modern Freemasonry is really very open and clearly anything but a secret society, with meetings usually advertised in the local press, unlimited volumes of published Masonic material available in libraries and book stores and our members proud to make known their affiliation as Freemasons. Another concern is that Masonry is a religion and that for some members salvation is attained by good works alone *Masonry is neither a religion nor a substitute for religion - nor a competitor with religion - though in the sphere of human conduct it may be hoped that our teachings will be complimentary to that of religion - Masonry requires a man to have a belief in God, or a Supreme Being before he can be admitted as a member, and expects him to continue to practise his religion thereafter *Actually Freemasonry may be said to be a system of Morality - we as members are free to profess any religious faith which enables us to express a belief in the Great Architect of the Universe *Freemasonry lacks the basic elements of a religion, we have no theological doctrine and by forbidding religious discussion at our meetings there is no opportunity for a Masonic theological doctrine to be developed."

addison_ii
03-31-06, 06:11 PM
The term great architect of the universe is used so that one who is accustomed to calling GOD by Allah or such shall not be offended or excluded. Yes I'm a Christian and as such profess a belief in GOD. On the topic of salvation by works alone I say this: Salvation is attained by your heart condition not outward attributes only or in other words your spiritual works and physical works are what gain you salvation. Members are advised to stay away from discussing religion for the same reason as it is advised on this site and that is because it is a very touchy subject and can cause many unwarranted arguments and as we have seen it some parts of the world or periods in time: death. However you are free to discuss it with a brother if it is asked of you. So I will follow your lead and this will be my last post about this subject. Thanks for conversing with me on this matter, I always enjoy getting a view from another perspective.

EcSTSatic
03-31-06, 10:54 PM
...Thanks for conversing with me on this matter, I always enjoy getting a view from another perspective.

Me too! :thumbsup: