: PLEASE!!! -4 and under, lights on,no power to starter!!

SwitzerCadillac
01-13-04, 02:45 PM
1993 sts, 137, 000 k, quality peice of machinery.

when its -4 or under it wont start ( which leads me to believe that it is ice that is stopping the car from starting)

replaced starter.....battery is fine.....removed remote starter.......banged head off the wall...
if you hold the key in the position that you would turn it to start the car, for a few seconds, and then release and then do it again and again and again...eventually the starter will fire right up..as if there was no problem...it doesnt slow crank when it does engage..like a dying battery ..and the lights come on and full dash lights too...but no power to the starter..and the coldr it gets the harder it is to manipulate to start...SSOOO!!! i live in ontario (toronto) and it is going to be like -20 out the next couple of days......ouch...

please god help me...seein the caddy sit in the drive ..its a sin...helpa brotha out!!?

ps could it be the starter relay? where is it? is there more than one?

elwesso
01-13-04, 08:00 PM
Starter relay would be something id look for..... Check and see if its in the main fuse box in the engine compartment... if it isnt I couldnt tell you where it is but im sure someone else could!!!

I guess maybe it got cracked somehow, and moisture got in.... it freezes the relay in open position, and the heat generated by electricity melts it off and it works....

kevinK
01-13-04, 08:44 PM
I would try to jump start the car. If you can jump start it easily, it means you have a bad battery. Northstar needs a full power battery to start.

BeelzeBob
01-15-04, 11:41 AM
See the other post about starter relay. Didn't realize that you had replaced starter..???

Have you checked the battery terminals, cables, ground connections, etc. very carefully. On an 11 year old car that is exposed to a lot of salt and such the battery cables would really be suspect. Look at the terminals carefully for signs of corrosion or "puffy" insulation indicating corrosion of the cables inside the insulation. Not uncommon at all. Corrosion and high resistance could cause the no crank cold. The starter current draw increases dramatically at colder temps so a corroded cable that will function at warmer temps will often loose power in cold temps. You can do a quick check of the negative cable/ground by hooking a jumper cable from the negative terminal of the battery to a solid engine ground point. This redundant ground will "bypass" the car's grounding. If the engine cranks fine now then look at the battery ground cable. If not, then look at the postive battery cable as the ground has been eliminated by the redundant connection.

Don't completely write off the starter... If it was a re-man unit it would still bear suspicion as there are a lot of cases of "bad" re-man starters out of the box. Shoddy re-man starters are common. Since you know that the core for the re-man started out as a failed starter to begin with it has two strikes against it already no matter what the guarantee.

SwitzerCadillac
01-16-04, 10:29 AM
bob...thanks.....
yesterday i pulled the battery.......put in a new one same problem.....
the i know what u mean about cables...but i think at this point the battery is ruled out....

about this starter enable realy tho....
its located under the carpet drivers side door....93 sts's had a leak in the driver side front and back doors...which leads me to believe that it is the relay under the carpet soaked...freezing and not completeing the circuit....
im pissed right off.......its like -25 i want to go pull it but, i dont even have the patients to scramble thru that thick braid of wire to find it...sat or sun is mild...

thanks

Qcaddy
01-17-04, 01:40 PM
Go with bbobynski : My 1996 seville starter problems,it was the neg. battery cable corrided to no end will short out starter if not fixed .
one love Brother.
1993 sts, 137, 000 k, quality peice of machinery.

when its -4 or under it wont start ( which leads me to believe that it is ice that is stopping the car from starting)

replaced starter.....battery is fine.....removed remote starter.......banged head off the wall...
if you hold the key in the position that you would turn it to start the car, for a few seconds, and then release and then do it again and again and again...eventually the starter will fire right up..as if there was no problem...it doesnt slow crank when it does engage..like a dying battery ..and the lights come on and full dash lights too...but no power to the starter..and the coldr it gets the harder it is to manipulate to start...SSOOO!!! i live in ontario (toronto) and it is going to be like -20 out the next couple of days......ouch...

please god help me...seein the caddy sit in the drive ..its a sin...helpa brotha out!!?

ps could it be the starter relay? where is it? is there more than one?