: Dying vinyl top myself on a 94 fleetwood any advice?

ocjmakaveli
03-27-06, 05:11 AM
I know I can remove the vinyl top pretty easily. I was wondering though how would I go about dying the vinyl top? Anyone know what dye is best for the vinyl top and how to apply it?

I can get it done locally for about $350 but I was thinking if I could do it myself for less than $100 why not.

The other question when putting the vinyl top back on do I need special glue so the vinyl top can adhere to the roof again?

Anything else I missed that I would need or advice?

My car is cotillion white so what color should i dye the vinyl roof, I've seen off-white dyes.

caddycruiser
03-27-06, 06:54 AM
I'm not exactly sure it would work so well taking it off and then trying to put it back on...I was always under the impression that, when re-dying them, they left them on the car, just because it would be more work than even just replacing it all...if you took it off, dyed it, then tried to get it back on. Well, that, and it generally can get a little stretched out of shape or torn in the removing process. Not just like taking pants off and putting them back on.

There's LOTS of vinyl top re-dyes out there on a lot of websites, of all different colors, so I'd search for those first. It's usually a first prep/cleaner, then a vinyl primer of sorts, then the color coat. Or at least the ones I looked up once were like that.

HotRodSaint
03-27-06, 09:13 AM
:yeah:

http://www.sem.ws/

ocjmakaveli
03-27-06, 06:38 PM
Thanks guys for some odd reason I was thinking it would be more like dying clothes...:thepan:

I'll let you guys know how it goes and before and after pics.

GenoTheLowrider
03-28-06, 02:06 PM
My top was just dyed, and I know for sure u dont want to take it off. If you were to do that, it would be best to just replace it with fresh vinyl. If u are familiar with painting, u just gotta tape it all up and SPRAY it on. May be a good thought to have a pro do it, u can save yaself a lot of trouble.
Make sure its not cracked or anything like that, because of course, they will still be there when u finish. Generally u dont put a clear coat on a top, you dont want it to look artificial. When I bought my dye, they mixed in the gloss with it. I could chose from Low, medium, and high gloss. I chose the medium since they told me that this would most resemble new vinyl.
As for the color, I think if you are not going to go with a "snow" white, an off-white would look great on that.

GenoTheLowrider
03-28-06, 02:08 PM
dying is just like painting the car, except you are using dye instead of paint.