: Only decent Catera?

redvelvetcorridor
03-27-06, 12:13 AM
~My 98' Catera has 57,000 trouble free miles. I purchesed it back late 99'. Am I the only person that has a descent Catera?

guardian
03-27-06, 06:09 AM
No. You are NOT alone.

However, if you have any numbers you can suggest for us to play in the lottery, please, please post them here!

gixxer_751
03-27-06, 09:59 AM
based on some posts, the "troubles" will start withing the next 40k miles... keep your fingures crossed

CateraV
03-28-06, 07:34 AM
No, you're not alone. With these sites, misery loves company. Remember the old saying. Give someone good service and they'll tell 5 people. Give them bad service and they'll tell 50. Cateras are not really enthusiast cars so people don't get too excited about them. I know Cateras have recurring problems and some seem to be plagued with gremlins but not all of them. I bought our 97 in early 99 as a GM program car. Car now has 112k with only minor issues. Tire alignment early on, AC actuator door etc. Our family has gone through two Audi A6's in the same time period with way more problems. Yes, I'm holding my breath a bit based on everyone elses experience but I know I can go buy another one for 4 grand tomorrow. I'm also thinking of importing a Holden HSV from down under.
Enjoy your Cat

97cateraowner
03-29-06, 11:05 AM
Ours has 263K miles and counting. Drives like new and uses no oil.
Front seat is showing some cracks in it but you can't see it when you drive.
We have had some work on it but overall it has been very dependable.

sirmqc
03-29-06, 11:08 AM
I'm just curious what work, 97cateraowner? Anything major? I'm guessing you keept up with scheduled maintenance - particularly the timing belt.

97cateraowner
03-29-06, 12:07 PM
I'm just curious what work, 97cateraowner? Anything major? I'm guessing you keept up with scheduled maintenance - particularly the timing belt.

I am coming up to replace the third timing belt and I am considering doing this myself. Work done on Catera:
Transmission replaced at 72K - warranty
Oil pump at 186K - replaced because of low pressure at hot-idle. Confirmed with mechanical guage.
Valve cover gaskets at 220K
Radiator, heater valve(second one), Alternator, Coil Pack, Front struts, and rear shocks have all been replaced in the last year.
Brakes - replaced several times. Finally found some pads that quit warping rotors - Wagner Thermo-quiets.

gixxer_751
03-29-06, 01:22 PM
i got mine w/100k miles on it... it needs new valve covers, CKP sensor, new coil pack and wires and it runs smooth and noiseless, you from the outside you cant even tell if the cars on

Kcryan
03-30-06, 08:22 PM
mine just passed 100k (98) and has been relatively trouble free (knock on wood)

Boris
04-01-06, 01:08 PM
I'm at 140k (97) and drive it hard every day.
Yes you can drift a Catera.

Valve cover gaskets from Discount auto parts were $50 and a few hours of work,
Radiator from NAPA (old one was damaged by previous owner) $350,
T-stat from dealer $75 (most expensive T-stat I ever got),
and a ton of brake pads.

That's my cost of owning a $1000 vehicle (that's what I paid for it), one I don't baby at all.

I was never an Opel fan but who can argue with the price.

APatterson
04-04-06, 11:25 PM
115,000 on a 98...

head gasket.. HCV.. and after the head gasket they threw in the spark plug wires.. cuz it was our 4th trip up in 7 days.. so i lucked out on that one... :bouncy:

wamanning
04-05-06, 10:02 AM
...i'm superstitious and am loathe to jinx myself!

bobbarker
09-07-06, 08:00 PM
I have a 98 Cat with 260K on it. I've experience the same problems most people have and fixed it. I love driving the car. I'll probably sell it in next year, someone will get themselve a nice sporty car that has been well maintained for little money. Any Idea what it's worth?

guardian
09-09-06, 09:40 PM
I have a 98 Cat with 260K on it. I've experience the same problems most people have and fixed it. I love driving the car. I'll probably sell it in next year, someone will get themselve a nice sporty car that has been well maintained for little money. Any Idea what it's worth?

I know the precise answer to your question, but when I give it you will think I am trying to be a wise guy . . . . which I am not:

An automobile like yours is worth exactly what a ready, willing, and able potential purchaser is willing to pay; not a farthing more or less.

The critical element is time. How LONG are you willing to put up with the inconvenience of offering your car for sale. How LONG can you hold out until you just say: "Oh, to hell with it. Get it out of here." . . . and accept whatever is being offered at that moment.

It's all obvious stuff, I realize. But I think the Cat market at this point likely is thin enough, and problematic enough, for the above to hold. For marques which are more numerous and well known, the standard pricing deviations are narrower.

The Cat does not have a sterling service reputation, so you will benefit from an unaware buyer; and they ARE out there . . for sure.

Your miles are up a little; that will put off a significant portion of potential buyers regardless of make.

You need some luck, a warm smile, a firm handshake, and a buyer who has wanted to own a Caddy his whole life and thinks the Catera is one. If you get three grand or more for her go buy a lottery ticket fast. It's your lucky day!:)