: Rear Suspension

03-26-06, 08:42 PM
Have a question about the rear suspension of the Caddy with the Air shocks, I have an 89 Brougham, and I noticed some people raise the back end, and I was wondering how could I do this?

03-27-06, 11:46 AM
You can tweak the rear air shock sensor to make it always place the rear end of the car higher. I don't recommend it with weak or leaky air shocks, as it will place higher loads on the compressor, which could lead to shorter life.

03-27-06, 12:01 PM
The compressor's the least of your worries. If you use the airshocks to permanently raise the rear of the car up, you WILL fracture the frame at the upper shock mounts. Go ahead, ask me how I KNOW this will happen. :bigroll:

03-27-06, 02:54 PM
For a full framed car, there sure is enough weakspots in the rear suspension!

Upper shock mounts and upper/lower trailing arms.

But back in the old days, they had 500's powering this same basic rear suspension and even more weight. But I guess the shocks shouldn't ever be used to support the car for that long. Maybe that is the ultimate reason the owners manual is very clear about disabling the compressor when towing heavy tonque weights. Mainly due to compressor running excessively, but I can imagine if you are trying to hold the car up with high tongue weights (book says 840 lbs) and minimal cargo/people loads, it can be an awful lot on the shocks to hold up the body.

What did you end up doing to fix it?

03-27-06, 04:26 PM
I had to go to a junkyard and torch out the frame sections, then I had to weld them into our cars. We had a grand total of two that I had to do as I recall. And let me tell you, that was NOT a fun job.

03-28-06, 01:08 AM
So mainly what everybody is saying pumping air into the air shocks to raise it is not a good idea cuz it will tear up the car?

03-28-06, 04:53 AM
Not immediately. You have to understand that the airshocks are designed to "temporarily" suppliment the rear coil springs, nothing more. To use them as a means of permanently raising the trim height is a sure way to cause a problem.

03-28-06, 01:08 PM
Alright, well let me ask, I have seen a few Caddys in which the rear was raised. In order to be raised, do the shocks need to be replaced, or do u just need to use something like spacers to do it? I know I dont want to do that with my Caddy because I surely dont want that "spacer" ride....

03-28-06, 01:57 PM
It all depends on how high you want to go. Spacers work for minor changes but for anything else, new springs would be the prefered method. If you do that though, you'll need to make sure the new springs don't cause the rest of the suspension to "top-out". You have to realize that the original shocks and control arms are only designed to work for a certain range and by you lifting the car, you're reducing the upper part of that range. It may be necessary to modify the shocks and control arms depending on just how high you want to go.

03-28-06, 02:05 PM
I understand what you saying, I am not tryin to raise that far. Only slightly. Just enough to somewhat level it out, cuz it has a trailer hitch and when I pull into my apartment complex it has a dip that I always scrape, no matter how slow or what angle I go in. I will be adding chrome dual exhaust soon, and I dont want to be scraping up the chrome tips.

03-28-06, 07:24 PM
I'd suggest a set of progressive rear springs. They'll level the car and give you much improved load carrying capacity, all while improving the ride too! Talk about a win, win scenario.

03-28-06, 09:17 PM
Ok, I like that idea. Now would suggest replacing the Air shocks with regular gas shocks? I may just be getting wrapped up in words, but what exactly is a progressive spring, is it any diff that a regular spring?

03-28-06, 09:29 PM
I would suggest keeping the air ride system.

Honestly though based on the year of your ride I would suggest just replacing the rear springs with basically anything new that will definitely raise up your rear at least an inch because with time springs do compress a little.

I replaced my 94's springs a year ago and noticed about 1-2 inches increase in height with an overall better/softer ride. It also handles better in turns it seems the old springs also lose the strength and the car would sway way too much on turns.

Progressive rate springs are great if your hauling stuff they allow the car to maintain a good acceptable ride and they won't settle as much when you carrying heavy things.

I believe what your looking for is a bit of a rake I would suggest just replacing your rear springs and if you get the look you want leave it alone but if the front is too low then replace those springs too.

Night Wolf
03-28-06, 10:24 PM
cargo springs!

They will raise the back end a bit, and as you put weight on them, they just don't sag..... very nice upgrade.

03-29-06, 08:58 AM
Progressive springs are used to give a vehicle a dual personality. They can provide a softer ride and still provide better load handling due to the progessive spring rate. Basically, what you have is two sets of springs in one. Very versitile and they can totally take away the need for the airshocks in most cases. I usually used them in CONJUNCTION WITH the air shock system to give even greater range. I've never installed them on a car and not gotten a better ride afterwards. Doubt I'd use anything else.

03-29-06, 10:10 AM
Any suggestions on outlets and PNs for the progressive springs? I need them badly.

03-29-06, 01:48 PM
No, sorry. I always worked with a freind that has a frame shop and he got me the springs. Moog I think. Any shop like a Midas or similar that does suspension work should offer a progressive spring. Actually, I think I've gotten them from Monroe in the past too.

Night Wolf
03-29-06, 08:37 PM
Aren't progressive springs the same things as the cargo springs I mentioned?

03-29-06, 09:32 PM
i fabricated my own hitch for my mazda 929 which made the ass end sag an inch or two. i just went to advance auto and bought those spring spacers. they've been there for 3 years with no issues.

03-30-06, 04:46 PM
dont Spacers make the car ride a lil rougher?