: are these cateras?

GSXTurboing
03-26-06, 07:03 PM
Are these cateras? They are holdens. The gold one is a calais ss with a 5.7lt and the white one is a commodore with 5.0lt.

gixxer_751
03-27-06, 10:02 AM
none are cat's, but they looks closed to saab's.. nice as hell, especially the white one.

GSXTurboing
03-27-06, 02:07 PM
I thought that the catera, opel omaga b and the holden commodore were all on the same platform? The reason i asked is because they carry the v8 and i thought that maybe i could get the motor mounts, trams. mounts and headers to do a v8 swap. They use the chevy gen.III block. The front locks like the gto. You can find these and more on the australia e-bay web site.

Vesicant
03-27-06, 04:13 PM
I thought that the catera, opel omaga b and the holden commodore were all on the same platform? The reason i asked is because they carry the v8 and i thought that maybe i could get the motor mounts, trams. mounts and headers to do a v8 swap. They use the chevy gen.III block. The front locks like the gto. You can find these and more on the australia e-bay web site.

Yeah they're all brothers & sisters of the same platform base. It goes Omega and Catera then its Commodore .. and etc... GTO as the Monaro.. etc. V and VE Platforms. British/German and Australian. And yeah the styling similiarities are apparently carried through as well.

Opel did an Omega V8 the last year just as an experiment I guess. It was never sold but that would be the equivilant to the commodore just uniquely Holden Australian engineered and this is a factor in conversion because no two are exactly alike (suspension setup, rear end etc.)

It is possible, theres just a HUGE load of work thats involved to make it come together. Not to mention figuring out a stronger rear end/differential.

gixxer_751
03-27-06, 04:46 PM
damn, where did they get the spoilers and stuff for them?

german_catera_fan
03-29-06, 05:01 PM
hi,
you can get spoilers etc. from germany.
and yes, you are right. they are the holden version of the cat's!
commodore, monaro etc. all the same platform.
unfortunately OPEL stopped the V8 version of the omega shortly before they wanted to sell it because the V8s had some issues with the temperatures at fullpower. coolant canals were underdimensioned.

wamanning
03-29-06, 07:12 PM
ntntnt

GSXTurboing
03-30-06, 02:18 PM
So i could buy a frount clip from a holden (with a v8) and tranplant the motor and trans into the cat?

german_catera_fan
03-30-06, 03:13 PM
basically thats correct. you might have to make some little modifications. not sure about that tough cuz i've never seen a holden in real life.
so i cant compare.

Omega_man
03-31-06, 02:16 AM
Hello,

The holden Commodore shares the same basic floorpan, windscreen, rear suspension and door handles as the Catera/Omega , most other things are quite different though, but they are similar.

Engines were a six cylinder unit, and either a holden V8 in 5.0 form, or the chevy small block in either 5.7 or 6.0 form. As far as Omegas go, their the ultimate in ownership.

Austrialia also get an extended floorpan version for the luxury market in the form of the Holden Statesman and Holden Caprice.

www.hsv.com.au is the Holden equivalent of M tech for BMW, AMG for Mercedes or the V series for Cadillac. The machinery on this site use the same basic structure and running gear, but are very highly developed. I'd love to have enough money to purchase the Vauxhall Monaro VXR which is basically a 6.0 Holden Monaro 2 door coupe, but in UK trim.

James.

Omega_man
03-31-06, 02:20 AM
Hello,

Just to add, transplants of the engine and running gear are possible, just lookout a smashed current model Pontiac GTO, which is basically as Holden Monaro.

Here in the UK we had the Vauxhall Carlton (Opel Omega A) which shared the same floorpan as the Omega B (Catera). A few months back a V8 converted car turned up, which was fitted with a Chevy 5.7 small block motor, same as used in the Commodores. The conversion worked very well, and proves that if it can fit into the carlton (Omega A), it should fit into the Omega B (Catera). Other transplants include putting the old 24 valve straight six out of a Senator or Carlton GSI24 valve into the Omega, or the ultimate, the 3.6 litre Biturbo motor (and running gear) from the Lotus Carlton/Omega A.

James.