: Explorer Owners Skunked at U-Haul

HotRodSaint
01-13-04, 11:35 AM
Explorer Owners Skunked at U-Haul

Blame the lawyers for U-Haul International having to forbid stores to rent trailers to customers who plan to tow with a Ford Explorer. The company says it is just too expensive to defend itself against personal injury lawyers who have been exploiting the publicity surrounding the Ford Explorer's rollover record dating back to the 2000-2001 recall of Firestone tires on Explorers after a spate of rollover incidents when the tires lost their tread. U-Haul - North America's largest trailer rental company with more than 17,000 outlets - implemented the policy Dec. 22, saying the ban was not related to safety. The decision to shut out Explorer drivers is not based on accidents, but several different lawsuits dragging on for years, according to a U-Haul spokeswoman. U-Haul was embroiled in a lawsuit that Bridgestone/Firestone settled out of court in September. It involved three college students who were injured in 1999 when their Firestone-equipped Explorer overturned while pulling a U-Haul trailer.

U-Haul issued a bulletin to its stores that cites "the negative perceptions of Ford Explorers..." and says, "We are separating ourselves from the negative public perception and its potential consequences."

Federal regulators linked 271 deaths and more than 800 injuries to the defective tires.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said in February 2002 that there was not enough evidence to open a formal defect investigation of the Explorer.

The U-Haul ban extends to all Explorers even though those made starting with the 2002 model year are of a different design than the ones involved in lawsuits and tire recalls. -Jim Burt

Sinister Angel
01-13-04, 12:17 PM
Suing U-Haul because their tires blew out? WTF is that sh!t? Last I checked, U-Haul doesn't repair YOUR vehicle. Jackasses. If I was the attorney for U-Haul, I'd walk over to those kids and kick them in the nuts for being dumbasses.

AKPsiMC03
01-13-04, 12:47 PM
funniest part is though, you can still tow with a mercury mountaineer or a Mazda Navajo :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo:

c5 rv
01-13-04, 07:09 PM
Unfortunately, when something bad happens people start lawsuits and look for deep pockets. If someone loads up their u-haul trailer with a house full of appliaces from Lowes with too much tongue weight, hooked it to an Explorer with underinflated Firestone tires, and an accident occurs, the lawsuit is gonna name Ford, Bridgestone Firestone, U-Haul, Lowes, and probably the manufacturers of all the appliances.

Two things people don't mention much: when Ford redesigned the Bronco II into the Explorer they did not appreciably lower the center-of-gravity and short wheelbase SUVs are notoriously poor for towing trailers due to incidence of sway. I don't really blame U-Haul because legal precedent has been set that Firestone and/or Ford are to blame for the vehicle's lack of stability and it can easily be shown that towing a trailer would exacerbate the problem.

Stoneage_Caddy
01-14-04, 02:27 PM
well we can all look forward to the ford exploder being outlawed on us roads !!! what a sweet day it will be

sad thing is production will continue on the excursion thru 2006

c5 rv
01-14-04, 07:50 PM
Interestingly, the redesigned Explorer is much safer. I'm starting to get the sense that these mid-sized SUVs are becoming more minvan-like. If you look at the Trailblazer or new Durango from the front door back (ignore the fact the rear doors swing out) and the vehicles look just like minivans. I think the need for lower center of gravity and 3rd row seating are pushing these vehicles further from their pickup truck roots.