: Big GM Recall For Faulty Steering

HotRodSaint
01-13-04, 11:30 AM
Big GM Recall For Faulty Steering

General Motors Corp. is recalling more than 800,000 cars because of a power steering defect that may have led to at least eight injuries. GM also is facing a separate government investigation into alleged failure of brakes, power steering and windshield wipers, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Monday. The NHTSA's investigation could affect more than 1.2 million vehicles. The recalled models are the 1996 Buick Regal, 1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, 1997-98 Oldsmobile Cutlass, Chevrolet Lumina, Monte Carlo, Malibu, and 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue cars. Also, some 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix and Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, and 1997-98 Buick Regal cars are being recalled. Drivers have experienced intermittent losses of power steering when making left turns, especially at low speeds, GM said. Separately, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is investigating GM 2500- and 3500-series pickup trucks after receiving 19 complaints alleging loss of power braking or power steering. The alleged defect, which could affect 660,000 trucks, is blamed for at least two crashes and one injury. -Jim Burt

HotRodSaint
01-13-04, 11:32 AM
While it doesn't include Cadillac...yet, I posted the above for those who would argue that GM doesn't have a huge problem to overcome in real and perceived quality issues.

AKPsiMC03
01-13-04, 12:49 PM
hmm.. my bro had a 98 regal that the PS rack crap out on him all of a sudden. I think what actually made him replace the rack was that he was loosing PS on slow left hand turns.... hmmm.. well that car is gone now, oh well.

whats the wiper thing though? I have a 98 s-10 that the wipers only work on about 60% of the time.

airbalancer
01-13-04, 05:22 PM
that 1/35000 for the truck problem, is that that a major problem, cause maybe 1 death.
Drinking cause many more deaths maybe we should recall all brooze?

Vesicant
01-13-04, 06:07 PM
that 1/35000 for the truck problem, is that that a major problem, cause maybe 1 death.
Drinking cause many more deaths maybe we should recall all brooze?

The NHTSA has a strict policy about if the defect causes death.. even once, they are to immediatly do a recall about it... and to notify everyone who even has something close to whats being recalled.

Sounds good to me.

Stoneage_Caddy
01-14-04, 02:24 PM
"the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration is investigating GM 2500- and 3500-series pickup trucks after receiving 19 complaints alleging loss of power braking or power steering. The alleged defect, which could affect 660,000 trucks, is blamed for at least two crashes and one injury"

damn hydraboost setup ..hate those things

"loosing PS on slow left hand turns"

oviosly GM is going to pull out of nascar soon !!!

Playdrv4me
01-17-04, 08:56 PM
Im surprised a recall hasnt been issued for the Intermediate Steering Shaft problem facing 1998-2002 GM Vehicles in every brand also. In some cases Impala police cruisers flew completely off the road when the shaft separated and caused a loss of control. In my old 2001 STS it caused an unpleasant thund and clunk when turning, all over a stupid lubrication problem.