: Sooooo....

customGTP
03-25-06, 08:21 PM
I DROVE MY CAR AROUND THE BLOCK!! :) It died three times but started right back up. But it was AWESOME! and louder than crap! Maybe ill put muffs on it tomorrow :) Anyways just wanted to update everyone since I finally got a day or two of work put into it to get her down the road..

things to fix:
figure out why it dies after some decent throttle is given
muffs
shifter reverse lockout switch to enable reverse
small oil leak by oil cooler fitting
hook up fans
figure out headlights
hook up reverse light switch
wire in speed sensor

Have a great night everyone, I WILL BE!!

Travis
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/665715

davesdeville
03-25-06, 09:45 PM
Congratulations. I hope to be driving my car around the block tomorrow or the next day, its no big project like yours it was in a wreck though.

danbuc
03-26-06, 10:26 AM
Nice to see you finally got it to the point where it's somewhat driveable. That thing should be a menace on the track when it's done.:thumbsup: Good luck man, post some new pics if you get a chance. Have you updated the cardomain page at all?

customGTP
03-26-06, 08:21 PM
yeah the last update was when I had to modify my new SS fuel rails a few months ago. it doesnt look much different other than it drives now lol

GreenMachine
03-27-06, 12:42 AM
I like how your keeping it stock apperance, thats the heart of true performance enthusiest, sleeper cars are nice, you don't know what's under the hood until you'll hear the engine and see the tail pipes :)

I belive the last year the Pontiac Bonneville was made (GXP?) it had a Norsthar under the hood, what I would suggest is trying to order from GM (or finding somewhere) the Acustic cover that has the Pontiac Logo and replace the current Cadillac cover that may be on your engine...that is if it doesn't interfere with future mods. Maybe even order one of the Northstar trunk logos too. Just some friendly suggestions :)

Nice job, will certainly look forward to hearing the rest of this story.

customGTP
03-27-06, 01:59 AM
well funny you mention the tail pipes....im running 2.5" out of the headers to performance muffs to end and point down just before the rear axel... then im gonna take some old stock ones, hollow them out and hang them in the rear to maintain the stock look lol

customGTP
03-27-06, 11:48 PM
so now I think I got my idle fixed, got my mufflers on and the finishing touches of my exhaust and a new fuel pump goes in as soon as I pick it up in the AM.. I also got plates and the damned thing registered so I dont get pulled over/ticket like last time :)

YAY.. hopefully I'll have videos and pics up by tomorrow night..

customGTP
03-29-06, 02:46 AM
Heres an update from tonight
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/665715/17

davesdeville
03-29-06, 06:43 AM
Hey customGTP... what's the deal with your user title saying "PLEASE UPDATE YOUR HOTMAIL EMAIL ADDRESS. IT NEVER STOPS BOUNCING.???"

customGTP
03-29-06, 10:06 AM
no clue :( !?!?

carmaster
03-29-06, 11:11 AM
Wow, that's an amazing build up.

customGTP
04-06-06, 11:32 PM
Well today I drove my car around the block and made it 3/4 of a block, lol, got on the main road and it dies and wont start up..grrr full power everything!! but no starter engaging. Meanwhile my fans are hardwired so I wont overheat it while I test drive it, so I crawl under the bumper and grind my knuckles on the fans to get them unplugged. Finally Andy, my buddy thats with me, pushes me and I pop the clutch and she starts right up and drive off. I had to give it gas or it will wanted to die. When I shift I had to give it gas to keep it alive and i ground into every gear because of the high RPMS. I drove it around the block and finally get it back to the shop. I was getting exhaust fumes into the cabin so I made plates for the old strut tower top holes and caulked the cracks with flameproof sealant. I rip into my starter wire that I know works, and head straight for my clip where my "engine pull" diconnect is. Sure enough I forgot to tape it and it came apart. NOT THIS TIME, I got it all taped up lol! I bend my throttle cable bracket some and turned down the idle screw a touch and fixed my car's dying prblem. Next I put in my switch for the fans into the interior. I check everything for hot power and attach the switch and install it.. Hmm odd doesnt work.. well I beep it out and its got power, ok. Hmm the switch works; got power on the other side after I switch it to ON. yeah crawl under the bumper and sure enough it would help if I had plugged the fans back in :)

anyways, I drove it again, checked it for leaks. parked it. cleaned up my wiring mess and drove it around for a while.

Long story short I drove it around filled it up with some gas tonight!!
THATS FREAKING COOL!!

things to fix:
...?

Travis
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/665715

parts68
04-08-06, 09:40 AM
you may have stated this already but what PCM are you running?

customGTP
04-09-06, 09:27 PM
Holley Commander 950 from CHRFAB.com

I love it! and super simple.. It made my wiring effortless, which was huge considering I didnt have to worry about THAT part of the build

eldorado1
04-09-06, 09:51 PM
I'd like to hear if you have any problems like mine...

Stalling when you release the throttle when cold
Stalling when the cooling fan kicks on
Stalling (sometimes) when rolling slowly to a stop.

I ditched mine for those reasons. :rant2:

customGTP
04-09-06, 09:59 PM
what base map did you have?

I set the throttle screw to 1200 for right now. I gotta modify my cable bracket. I started it a few times last week at night (25-35degrees) and it seemed alright. I gotta tune it a bit yet but its good for now. I wired my fans to a heavy duty 35Amp switch on the interior, and is all good there as well.

I bought the base map from them, that he tuned

customGTP
04-09-06, 10:00 PM
also what do you have now running it?

eldorado1
04-09-06, 10:11 PM
what base map did you have?

I set the throttle screw to 1200 for right now. I gotta modify my cable bracket. I started it a few times last week at night (25-35degrees) and it seemed alright. I gotta tune it a bit yet but its good for now. I wired my fans to a heavy duty 35Amp switch on the interior, and is all good there as well.

I bought the base map from them, that he tuned

ahh yeah, I had my idle set at about 900. Even that was high, but necessary. I used their base map, and custom tuned it from there. I didn't have to buy the base map though, it came with it. It was terrible, but it was a starting point for tuning.

Have you tried flipping on the switches while the engine's idling? You probably don't have much of a problem if you're idling at 1200...but if you ever decide to turn it down for gas mileage or whatever...

I'm currently running a custom programmed GM ECM. Runs it sooo much better. And I was able to ditch the flakey dakota digital SG5(?), because the speedo signal goes through the ecm. I'll be selling them shortly for $500 with a wiring harness. Plug and play, completely tunable like the holley. Luckily I only wasted about $800 on the holley setup... If you care to read about my (mis)adventures (http://60degreev6.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=9111).

I'll be happy to help you through whatever problems come up... I've probably hit most of them. :rolleyes:

customGTP
04-09-06, 10:34 PM
yeah that would be cool cause I have NO flippin idea on tuning in this program

davesdeville
04-10-06, 01:53 AM
And I was able to ditch the flakey dakota digital SG5(?), because the speedo signal goes through the ecm.

That dakota digital unit is the speedometer calibration unit that takes the VSS signal and can modify it before sending to the gauge itself, right? What kind of problems did you have with it? I'm looking at a speedo calibration box because of the lack of speedo gears for my Lincoln when the 3.90s/255/50/16s go in/on the car.

eldorado1
04-10-06, 11:04 AM
That dakota digital unit is the speedometer calibration unit that takes the VSS signal and can modify it before sending to the gauge itself, right? What kind of problems did you have with it? I'm looking at a speedo calibration box because of the lack of speedo gears for my Lincoln when the 3.90s/255/50/16s go in/on the car.

yep. Mine was picking up noise from Jupiter and displaying speeds when I wasn't moving. I followed their suggestion and routed the wires away from the tach and ignition wires... Even installed a shielded cable thinking that would eliminate the noise... Nothing worked. So every once and a while, while I was sitting at a light, my speedo would jump to 50mph. and then back to 0. and then back to 50. Until I got above 10mph, which I guess then the actual speed signal was greater than the noise, and it went back to normal.

It was a good unit, can't really complain, but it was very sensitive.

parts68
04-10-06, 08:44 PM
I have a couple of speedo recalibration units new,$100 each.
Will go +- about 1000%.These go inline with VSS.