: Noisy Weatherstripping

CoupeDevilleRob
03-25-06, 05:32 PM
I replaced the weatherstripping on my car awhile back and the new seals are noisy as hell. Every little bump or dip in the road and the things are squeaking. Can you guys recommend anything to shut them up?

MWA
03-26-06, 04:36 AM
Silicone spray. I think my 98 eldo owner's manual suggests treating the door and window seals with silicone which has a GM part #. I carefully apply a general generic silicone spray periodically and it really reduces chafing noise.

The Ape Man
03-26-06, 09:20 AM
I replaced the weatherstripping on my car awhile back and the new seals are noisy as hell. Every little bump or dip in the road and the things are squeaking. Can you guys recommend anything to shut them up?

I have the same exact problem with my '80 CDV 4 years ago. I tried adjusting the doors and a few other tricks. Nothing worked. I am assuming that the seals are not as soft as they should be.

CoupeDevilleRob
03-26-06, 01:23 PM
I've tried the silicone spray, it works for a while but it's a band aide, the noise always comes back. The drivers door needs to be adjusted, that would probably help a little. The passengers door is alinged perfectly though and it squeaks too. I guess this is the price to pay for body on frame, it's not the stiffest structure so you're going to squeaks. Being 23 years old and having 110,000 miles probably isn't helping either.

Night Wolf
03-26-06, 03:31 PM
my '79 DeVille with 93k miles had NO squeeks, rattles, or noises at all.....

CoupeDevilleRob
03-26-06, 05:51 PM
I've always wondered if the sedans had better structural integrity than the coupes. I would assume the sedans do because they have two smaller doors on either side as opposed to one huge door on each side. Your comment reinforces what I thought.

Night Wolf
03-26-06, 06:47 PM
I dunno... its possible, also having the pillar between the doors...

my moms '89 Brougham has a squeek.... but her car has leather, and on the passenger door, when the door is closed, the leather on the door panel rubs against the dash pad... creating the squeek.... I am sure if the door panel and dash pad were kept clean with good stuff, it would be a bit more slippery and not squeek..... other then that, there are no interior noises on that car either.....

Only RWD Coupe that I have really been in for extended periods of time was my fathers '79 Coupe DeVille, but that was back from when I was born to around 8? so I don't remember any interior noises etc... I'll ask him next time I talk to him tho.....

but my '79 Sedan on the highway, except form wind noise around the doors, was silent... no engine noise, no road noise, no interior squeeks... with the radio on a medium volume the 1,400 miles between NY and Florida rolled by effortlessly.... it was an amazing trip.