: What major event do you remember in your lifetime

SpeedyArizona
03-24-06, 09:00 PM
We have a fairly diverse age group ranging from 16-60 so I figured it would be interesting to see what events we remember the most in our lifetime thus far.

If I had to the biggest event I remember, it would have to be the end of the Cold War and the disbanding of the Soviet Union. I remember in '91 when they announced over the loudspeak that the Soviet Union was disbanded and it was no longer a communist nation. We all gathered in the gym and turned on the old tv to see what the news was saying. It was quite the moment, anyone else remember this?

I would say September 11, but this was probably bigger in terms of global impact.

What is the most significant event in your lifetime thus far?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
03-24-06, 09:02 PM
September 11, I remember hearing about it and thinking "oh this can't be true" then I saw it on TV in my 3-D design class and I was like "whoa, ok this is worse than Columbine"...those words coming from a 14 year old's mouth, so don't take them too seriously. :)

Odin8
03-24-06, 09:24 PM
9/11, hands down. I remember it clear as day. I was walking into my 3rd period Earth Science class in 9th grade, and my teacher was just setting up a TV and turning it on. It came on and they were playing re-run after re-run of the first plane. When I first saw it, I thought it was a movie. When the teacher made a point of telling everyone this is real, I just kind of sat there watching...it didn't really click yet. Then I saw the 2nd plane hit the 2nd tower, live, and it all kind of clicked. Bad day.

Elvis
03-24-06, 09:25 PM
If you're talking world events, there are several, I'll try to keep the list short:

1) MLK assassination. I live in Memphis, I was almost four years old but I remember the curfews and my father working in downtown Memphis. We were worried he wouldn't get out before the riots started. (nobody was surprised when they started)

2) Nixon resignation

3) Hostages taken in Iran.

4) Reagan shot.

5) 9/11

6) Shock & Awe--Three years ago when we bombed Baghdad and they showed it live around lunch time. I'll never forget that or Desert Storm in '91.

EcSTSatic
03-24-06, 09:42 PM
JF Kennedy, Bobby Kennedy, M.L. King assasinations.
Landing on the moon
9/11

TeagueJT81
03-24-06, 09:44 PM
Definitely September 11. Our principal walked into our biology lab and told the teacher she needed to turn the TV on because there was something we needed to see. What I remember most is not being able to figure out how I should feel or react to any of it, or even whether or not I should believe it in the first place. Nothing else in my life time comes anywhere near that.

I vaguely remember the collapse of the Soviet Union. But I was way too young to understand what the significance was at the time.

Ranger
03-24-06, 09:47 PM
9 months, 25 days, 9hrs, 53 min. of 1968 - Viet Nam.

Destroyer
03-24-06, 09:48 PM
The birth of my daughter and my son. Not big events?, to me they were.:thumbsup:

EcSTSatic
03-24-06, 09:58 PM

My dad was there in '68. I caught the evacuation in '75.

Semper Fi :thumbsup:

Florian
03-24-06, 10:14 PM

To you and all who served....thank you for your service to our country!
I lost my father there.....

9-11, Challenger, Reagan, Cleveland in the World Series!

F

Jesda
03-24-06, 10:18 PM
1. Reagan passing away.
2. My first time voting, because I got to mark the box next to my own name.

SpeedyArizona
03-24-06, 10:24 PM
September 11 was another day that I remember much clearer. I was in college and I was about to head to my 9:30 class when I turned my tv on to watch a litte bit of the Today Show. After a few minutes, they cut the show to broadcast the 9/11 report. I immediately dropped my books on the floor and stared in awe of what was unraveling before my eyes. I sat back down to see more and was watching it for a little while more until the 2nd plane hit. I kept saying that this couldn't be happening, but only a little while longer and I witnessed the fall of the 1st tower. I then uncontrollably started to cry, and watched in horror of the following events. I called my mother and asked her if she was watching the same thing I was, and she sobbed a yes. I watched the 2nd tower fall and then I was in total shock.

It was a day I will never forget.

Ranger
03-24-06, 10:40 PM
To you and all who served....thank you for your service to our country!
I lost my father there.....
F
:canttalk:I am at a loss for words. Hand salute to your father.

Sandy
03-24-06, 10:43 PM
The Day my Father died, September 2nd 1985.
The Day my Mom ded, the 4th of July, 1995.
The day our one & only was born, March 7th 1984 (the only good occasion, here)
and the worst day;
December 1st 1988, when I had to sign my Mom into
a nursing home and sign papers declairing her mentally
incompetant due to Alzheimer's. I cried for 3 hours
straight, and then daily for a month. I am still a wreck
every 4th of July, and stay home & do nothing.

The next will be May 12 2006 when "the baby" graduates college Only 5 more weeks !

JimHare
03-24-06, 11:14 PM
Obviously, most people would name the events of 9/11/01 as the 'most memorable', because that's probably the biggest "global", if I may be so bold, event that's happened in recent memory.

In terms of personal events, I'd have to say the birth of my son, and seeing him for the first time just a few minutes after he was delivered, was the single most "memorable" event in my lifetime.

It's odd - I can remember almost exactly what I was doing for many of the most memorable events of the last ...ahem..cough cough...bunch of years..

1991 - I heard about the fall of the Berlin Wall watching the morning TV news while getting dressed for work.

I remember seeing one of the first actual news breaks about Robert Ballard finding the Titanic in 1985.

I remember Live Aid in Philly.

Reagan got shot while I was sitting at my desk in a Real Estate office. It came over the radio.

Nixon resigned while I was working on a factory assembly line.

In terms of external events, and discounting 9/11, I'd have to say it was probably the moon landing oh so late that night back in July, 1969.

Oddly enough, about a month later, I took part in another event aways up in upstate New York, that I have only the dimmest memories off because I didn't think it was gonna be that big of a thing...something about music and peace and love... lol

I also specifically remember the night MLK was shot, I and a few of my friends were at one house working on an 8th grade social studies project for the next day, preparing an Indian meal with curry and rice and such.

I was in Fifth grade, it was a coolish November afternoon in 1963 - I remember that, too. I was goofing off with a classmate who lived right next to the school, and he seemed happy about it - I guess his parents were Republicans.

I was in 2nd grade when the whole elementary school went to the auditorium to watch John Glenn orbit.

In fact, now that I think about it a bit, I even remember the first time I went on the "internet" - or to be more specific, "UseNet" - as a Compuserve subscriber way back around 1990 or so.. I even remember the very first incarnation of AOL, of which I was a member for a couple of months. Before that, it was all BBS's with Telix and/or Procomm.

And I'd have to say, in more recent times, meeting my lady friend and now fiancee, Melissa, for the first time back in January of 2004.

Most of the rest of my life is a blur, though.. :confused:

CoupeDevilleRob
03-24-06, 11:21 PM
This may sound nuts, because I was like 2, but I can remember the Challenger. My parents were on vacation and I was staying with my grandfather. I remember watching TV with him and him explaining that the space shuttle crashed. I also remember him talking on the phone with my mom about it. I have no idea why, but I can remember that pretty clearly.

I was watching the 1989 World Series with my parents when the earthquake hit, that kind of freaked me out. I remember the start of the Gulf War, the first one. My dad and I made an event out of watching the bombing on CNN. The 1993 WTC bombing sticks out in my mind too. For some weird reason my dad had his Dept two-way radio at home, so I got to hear all the police communications from that day. I remember Oklahoma City, I was home sick from school that day and was watching TV when they broke in with news of the bombing. Another day I stayed home sick the North Ridge earthquake hit LA, I watched that unfold too. I also remember TWA Flight 800, I was watching the 11:30 Simpsons rerun when they broke in with the news. Princess Diana's death was the same deal, I was watching TV late at night and the news broke in. I don't even want to get into 9/11, the memory of the sight and smell of the smoke from Ground Zero still fills me with all kinds of rage.

My favorite historical-type memory though is of Game 6 of the 1996 World Series. I could not actually believe the Yankees won the World Series. I remember sitting on my bed and having no clue as to how I should be reacting. It was just awesome.

Stoneage_Caddy
03-24-06, 11:39 PM
Biggest event for me , that changed my life personally and the world...

9/11 ....

Im asleep , in alaska , still a few hours before i normally wake up and have breakfast and go to the shop....

Phone rings .....Its dad ....
Me: "Dad , why the hell are you calling so early?"
Dad: "Your mother wants to know if your leaving"
Me: "Sure in 2 hours ill be headed to work"
Dad: "Michael , she wants to know if your going to the middle east"
Me: "Dad , i dont know whats wrong with her but last time i checked i was going to korea next may"
Dad:"You beatter turn on the TV"
Me: "sure what network?"
Dad (coldly) "Any of them"
Me: (as i turn on the TV) "This isnt good is it?"
Me : "Dad , why is mom flipping out over a plane running into a building? I mean its happend in new york before at the empire state"
Dad: "I know, she thinks this is diffrent"
Me and Dad at the same time: "HOLY SHIT" (Second plane hits)
Me: "Dad , tell mom to stay close to a phone , i gotta wake up the guys in the squadron and get them into work,ill call her if i gotta go but i doubt it will be today"...

I wasnt real worried ...till 3 of our F16s took off together in a direction they dont normally go .....Later turned out they were scrambeling after a Korean 747 , who wasnt able to contact the tower in fairbanks ...could there be a worse day to have your airplanes radio go out ? But before i had known that i figured each and every non airforce jet was going to crash into something that day ....few hours later i was a little calmer ...

The other big event was challenger (i was in the second grade , we all ran outside to watch it go (perks of living in florida) , the con-trail went all sqiggly....I asked dad when i got home that night "why did it do that?" ....The TV awnsered that question too ....

Coarse the fall of communisim too ...I sat with my grandfather as the wall came down , hes a ww2 vet , he exlpained how big it was ....

CoupeDevilleRob
03-24-06, 11:52 PM
When the second plane hit the WTC my dad and I were listening to his police scanner, he had it on the Emergency Service Unit frequency. I distinctly remember a cop screaming (and this is way out of proper radio protocal) "Central, be advised, a f***ing commercial airliner just hit the second f***ing tower!!!!!" Followed by I think it was the police commissioner saying "Contact the Pentagon, we need fighter plane coverage". That's when I said, Holy F***, this is heavy shit.

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
03-25-06, 04:47 AM
I remember several world events such as the Challenger Disaster, the fall of the Berlin Wall, Dianas death and so on.

I especially remember 9/11 as I was on my lunch break and I got a call from one of the guys in the office who told me a plane had hit one of the towers. We were all like, "wow, what an accident!". Then I got a phone call form him telling me the second plane had hit and that's when we realised it was an intentional act and we got our arse back to work.
As we were an ISP we had SO many customers calling up telling us their internet connection was down. Obviously they were only checking the news sites which were all swamped.
When we saw the towers fall we knew that USA was no-way going to let anyone get away with that and that the world had just changed.
I remember speaking on IRC to a friend who worked for an ISP not too far from the towers who was running on diesel generators and trying to arrange for trucks to deliver. He had about 3 or 5 days of fuel before everything would sut down and a load of businesses (both large and small) in the NY area would be offline. All the contracts they had with suppliers to deliver weren't worth a c**p of course.

In my personal life, there are a few that I'll always remember, the ususal sort of thing:

The first time a girl told me she loved me and my first kiss etc.
The first time a girl really broke my heart.
My trip to California which to this day I consider heaven on earth...
Buying my first car.
Buying my first American car.
Doing the deal to buy the company I now work for and co-own.

There's a few...

davesdeville
03-25-06, 06:28 AM
9-11, duh. I remember my mom telling me she heard sonic booms early in the morning, then later we turned on the TV and saw that Columbia had broken up. That's about it for big national/international events.

As for personal events I'll never forget the most positively hellacious road trip ever, driving my ETC back from CT, getting pulled over, having my car towed, then being stuck for 3 days in a blizzard followed by a blowout, then the loss of use of my cell phone, followed by another blowout and sliding into a ditch, then making the final 1650 miles in under 23hrs.

FSU_Noles
03-25-06, 07:29 AM
Well there is the obvious - 9/11, that had an effect personally and globally.

Globally

Reagan Shot (7th Grade - came on tv when I was in French Class)
Iran Hostage situation (444 days of captivity (trivial pursuit question))
Columbia disaster (12th Grade)
The Oklahoma City Bombing (living in OKC)
Challenger disaster (living in Dallas, boom woke me and my 3 year old) and I was doing a contract at Cape Canaveral at the time. Had to return Monday to a very somber Cape/KSC.
Personally

Getting lost in Germany when I was 7 years old. A trauma that lasted many years.
The day my parents told me they were getting divorced (14 yrs old)
My first drive (1976 Cadillac Sedan DeVille, IIRC had the 500cu in motor)
Getting my 69 Chevelle SS (16 years old)
Winning my first drag race event (High School Drag challenge at Kansas City Int't Raceway)
The day I joined the Air Force
The day I bought my Corvette (24 yrs old)
My first date with my wife
The day I was married
The day my daughter was born (she has been the source of many memorable days since)

CVP33
03-25-06, 03:48 PM
Seeing the Virgin Mary in a grilled cheese sandwich
Clinton not having sexual relations with "that woman"
Miss America in Playboy
Bush Sr. pukes in China and on China
Plymouth American Motors and Oldsmobile die
Seeing Janet Jackson's teet

I forgot the question. Was it signs of the apocalypse?

Jonas McFeely
03-25-06, 08:12 PM
The day i got my Brougham.
The day my mother found out she had brain cancer.
The day my mother died.
The day i was dropped off at military school.
The day my dad went to Maryland.
My first hand job when i was 13.
The day i got my apartment.
THE HURRICANES that swept through central florida 2 years ago(some of the best times of my life)

These are not in chronological order.

Patrick7997
03-25-06, 11:04 PM
On a personal level, there's been far too many high's & lows to list coherently...

On a global level, I would have to say:

1) 9/11. I was working, I was still an outside guy, so I go into a customers house, and he says "You gotta see this." We sit down in front of the TV, the first tower is burning. A couple minutes later, we see the jetliner hit the second building. Unreal.

2) Space Shuttle Blowing up. I was driving to school, I was still in College, they interrupted the radio and said "the Space Shuttle has just blown up." I ran to the student union, and there it was, blowing up. I distinctly recall the launches had become so routine, they weren't even televising them anymore. My brother and I were seriously planning to go to Florida to watch a launch. A few years later, we did go to Florida, but they delayed it a few times, and vacation time ran out, and we came home having seen nothing.

CIWS
03-25-06, 11:55 PM
Watching a man land on the moon. (World Event)
Nixon resigning as President (W.E.)
Iran hostage crisis (W.E.)
Graduating Boot Camp (Personal event)
Duty in Beruit (P.E.)
Space Shuttle explosion (W.E.)
Duty in the Persian Gulf (P.E.)
Duty in the Gulf of Sidra / Line of Death (P.E.)
Getting car bombed in Italy (P.E.)
Tiananmen Square massacre (W.E.)
Berlin Wall coming down (W.E.)
Watching Desert Storm on T.V. (W.E.)
Attempted Soviet Coup / end of the USSR (W.E.)
O.J. simpson verdict (event)
President Clinton impeachment (W.E.)
9/11 attack - War on Terror beginning (W.E.)

Jonas McFeely
03-26-06, 01:32 AM
This pretty much turned into the "where were you on 9/11" thread,so i'll tell my story...

It was 3rd period my 9th grade year.I was in Mr. Purtles class,Business Systems and Technology(fancy name for learning how to use power point).We turned on the news after someone came in the class room and told us what happened.I was like damn that sucks bad,it really didnt sink in.Then i saw the second plane hit and i was like damn this is crazy.A couple minutes later,our power went out.The whole buildings power went out.Everyone became silent and it was pretty weird.Then a couple minutes later the power was back on and everyone was like WOW that was nuts!

I never really let it get to me,not something i really spent time thinking about,mainly because i didnt know anyone that was involved at all.I never once felt any more scared for my safety and well being.I have never felt that some terroists are going to try to harm me.I have never been scared of a terrorist attack.I have enough confidence in our intelligence agencies to figure that crap out.That whole color-coded "terrorist alert" thingy is rediculous.

Night Wolf
03-26-06, 01:46 AM
I guess 9/11 for me too....

Being a New Yorker.... think of how you felt, then kinda multiply that.... friends and family worked in the WTC and were NYCFD. Everyone that we knew was ok though....

On that day, I had a doctors apointment, I was in 9th grade, Freshman in HS, so my mother and I went for breakfast at the diner, we got back in the Brougham and started driving to the doctors, I put the radio on and that is when we heard about it, first they said a plane hit the top of the tower... then as we were listening, the 2nd plane hit.... after the doctors I went back to school and it was just a dry and cold day with everyone.... I got home and watched the news all day.... I have 3 extended play video tapes of all the news and such...

SL1CK
03-26-06, 03:21 AM
I wanna know where ppl were during JFKs assassination

CIWS
03-26-06, 08:14 AM

A twinkle in my parent's eye. :)

EcSTSatic
03-26-06, 11:24 AM

I wanna know how many know who JFK was? Is there still hope left in our education system?

I was 8 years old, living at Ft Dix, New Jersey when my dad was in the Army.

Ranger
03-26-06, 11:36 AM
I was in a sophmore high school class.

DopeStar 156
03-26-06, 03:47 PM
- The Great Depression
- Prohibition
- The introduction of Zoot Suits
- I was at Frank Sinatra's first concert.

Jonas McFeely
03-26-06, 06:49 PM
I was in a sophmore high school class.

you and my dad both

mccombie_5
03-26-06, 06:55 PM
9/11, horrific for all concerned, and they didnt tell us in school either, I didnt find out until I got home.

I suppose that has dwarfed all my other memories, there is also the 7th of July London Bombings last year, and the IRA bombing of the BBC Television Centre. I remember a container ship full of luxury cars sank in the English Channel, and then three other ships hit it. The day that Tony Blair MP got into office. The day leaded petrol was banned in the UK.

Not all of them massive, but significant in their time.

gdwriter
03-26-06, 08:51 PM
It's a sign of age who remembers what. I wish I remembered Apollo 11, but I was three at the time, so I don't. The ones I do remember:

1974, Nixon resigns. I had voted for him in my first grade class mock election, and I actually followed some of what was going on with Watergate, so this was big news.

1980, John Lennon murdered. I was watching Monday Night Football, my New England Patriots were playing the Miami Dolphins at the Orange Bowl, when Howard Cosell broke the news. The next morning, my mother was playing her "Meet the Beatles" LP from 1964.

1981, Reagan shot. I was in English class when the announcement came over the PA. I think we got dismissed early. At the time, it wasn't clear whether or not he would survive.

1986, the Challenger disaster. I remember coming in from class and there on the big-screen TV in the dorm lobby was that famous shot of the fireball with booster rockets going all haywire. Christa McAuliffe taught at my mother's alma mater, so I had been especially interested in that flight. I worked at the school newspaper, and we put out a special edition that day.

1994 or 1995, Prime Minister Rabin murdered. I saw it when I logged into AOL late one night. I thought, there goes the best chance for peace between Isreal and the Palestinians.

1997, Princess Diana killed in a car accident. Again, I found out online. I couldn't believe it. And the sad part was, she would have likely only suffered minor injuries if she had been wearing a seat belt.

2001, 9/11. I have my clock radio set to NPR, and I normally listen as I get ready for work. Usually, I hit the snooze button while I'm still half asleep, but I heard "an airplane has crashed into the World Trade Center," and bolted awake. Turned on the TV just in time to see the South Tower collapse. I remember being numb for days afterward.

As I write this, what strikes me is, with the possible exception of Nixon's resignation, all of these are sad, awful events. And Watergate, the events that led up to Nixon's resignation, was a terrible period in our history.

I've been trying to think of any happy major events, and it's not been easy. The only ones that come to mind are when the hostages came home from Iran in 1981 and when the Olympic hockey team beat the Russians in 1980.

turbojimmy
03-26-06, 09:13 PM
9/11 definitely. Maybe it's because it's recent but it seems to overshadow everything. I still cannot get used to driving along Rt. 3 and not seeing the towers on the horizon. I had just stopped commuting to NYC a couple of months before 9/11. I had quit my job with an ISP in Chinatown and had moved to an office in NJ. My former commute took me daily through the PATH station and the N and R lines in the basement of the WTC. I used to meet a couple of my co-workers on the subway platform for the quick ride up to Canal St.

I watched the events on TVs scattered throughout our office building in suburban NJ but didn't feel safe. Still don't really feel safe. And I still feel angry that the awe-inspiring sight of those buildings are just a memory that I can't possibly begin to convey to my son who will never actually see them.

I'll never forget when one of my close friends, who was still doing the commute through the WTC, called me from his cell. I heard fear like I've never heard in his voice, and pain. The PATH train, the one we used to ride together, opened to a smokey and abandoned platform in the basement of the WTC. He knew something was wrong - it should be wall to wall people that time of day. A transit police officer told him to run. He ran up the escalator and out to the street where body after body was hitting the pavement. He made eye contact with a jumper - saw the fear in his eyes and watched him flail trying to slow his descent. The second plane hit the other tower - big parts were falling. He ran out of his shoes. He kept running until he got to work on Centre Street (seemed like the right thing to do at the time I guess). Fate allowed me to avoid being there that day but I'll still never forget it or that phone call.

Jim

fpmesiIII
03-26-06, 09:28 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8260059923762628848&q=loose+change

watch this crazy 911 video

mccombie_5
03-26-06, 09:31 PM
9/11 definitely. Maybe it's because it's recent but it seems to overshadow everything. I still cannot get used to driving along Rt. 3 and not seeing the towers on the horizon. I had just stopped commuting to NYC a couple of months before 9/11. I had quit my job with an ISP in Chinatown and had moved to an office in NJ. My former commute took me daily through the PATH station and the N and R lines in the basement of the WTC. I used to meet a couple of my co-workers on the subway platform for the quick ride up to Canal St.

I watched the events on TVs scattered throughout our office building in suburban NJ but didn't feel safe. Still don't really feel safe. And I still feel angry that the awe-inspiring sight of those buildings are just a memory that I can't possibly begin to convey to my son who will never actually see them.

I'll never forget when one of my close friends, who was still doing the commute through the WTC, called me from his cell. I heard fear like I've never heard in his voice, and pain. The PATH train, the one we used to ride together, opened to a smokey and abandoned platform in the basement of the WTC. He knew something was wrong - it should be wall to wall people that time of day. A transit police officer told him to run. He ran up the escalator and out to the street where body after body was hitting the pavement. He made eye contact with a jumper - saw the fear in his eyes and watched him flail trying to slow his descent. The second plane hit the other tower - big parts were falling. He ran out of his shoes. He kept running until he got to work on Centre Street (seemed like the right thing to do at the time I guess). Fate allowed me to avoid being there that day but I'll still never forget it or that phone call.

Jim

Woah. Thats big.

Jonas McFeely
03-26-06, 11:21 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8260059923762628848&q=loose+change

watch this crazy 911 video

Just got done watching that video.I dont see how anyone can disagree with most of what was said on that.WOW.

Adam
03-27-06, 12:28 AM
def. 9/11. i was home sick that day. my brother, who was also sick, woke me up and said that the US was being bombed. i got up and turned the tv on and they replayed the video of the first plane hitting the tower, i said thats a plane not a bomb. then the second tower was hit and my grandmother was upstairs watching also, she said "i wish they would stop showing that." and i told her it wasnt a replay, it was live, the second tower was just hit. then the first one collapsed and then the second. i was out sick the next day, everyone thought i was in NY when it happened. a lady my mom worked with was in NY when it happened, she couldnt get out of NY.

fpmesiIII
03-27-06, 08:53 AM
msg taken out due to other thoughts

Elvis
03-27-06, 11:27 AM
JF Kennedy, Bobby Kennedy, M.L. King assasinations.
Landing on the moon
9/11

It's interesting, most people only put the bad things on their lists.

You have one of the greatest accomplishments on there. We always forget the good stuff.

Maybe because there's been so much more bad stuff. Winning a war isn't a great accomplishment, because you have to kill people to do it.

Walking on the moon was pure victory with no losers. I can't think of anything else we've done that compares.

LittleB
03-27-06, 01:30 PM
Walking on the moon was pure victory with no losers. I can't think of anything else we've done that compares.

Oh please, don'tcha know we filmed the "landing on the moon" in a studio here on earth? :bigroll:

JUST KIDDING! LOL Has anyone seen the new Redbull commercial about this? Where they are trying to land on the moon but they had a Redbull, and they say "Houston we have a problem, we had a Redbull!" (or something like that) and then Mission Control says "Ahhh it's OK, just come back to earth and we'll shoot it all from here"... It was funny...Ok I am done now :D

HotRodSaint
03-27-06, 02:11 PM
I remember seeing a returning space capsule loaded on the back of a Navy ship at the Seal Beach Naval weapons station.

I remember the Sylmar quake of 1971.

I remember watching the SLO shoot-out, with 'captive' Patty Hearse, live on TV.

I remember the "Freedom Train" making it's stop in San Fransisco.

I remember Pong, the first video game and the first TV console game.

I remember OnTv, the first over the air scrambled pay TV station before there was cable TV.

I remember watching Formula One cars race on the streets of Long Beach.

I remember watching them film the Mod Squad in the streets of Long Beach.

I remember seeing the Streets of San Fransico being filmed in the streets of San Fransisco.

I remember watching them film U2's "Where the Streets Have No Name" in downtown Los Angeles.

I remember seeing The Clash at the Hollywood Paledium.

I remeber seeing the SR71 Blackbird fly overhead on what was supposed to be it's last flight into Edwards AFB.

DBA-One
03-27-06, 02:16 PM
A few in my 33 years. The Challenger distaster was a big deal. 9/11 was awful. My daughter was only a few weeks old and I'd just bought a house. My wife was on leave from work when this happened. Also, we had clients in tower 1. While we were all trying to help them out I had to leave to be with my family. To make it worse (I don't acutally mean worse like a burden) my sister had just moved to Manhattan but I didn't know what part.

I was crapping my pants from a family view, business, and my wife who thought the end of the world was near. I knew the world was a bad place. That day I learned nothing was safe.

DBA-One
03-27-06, 02:19 PM
I remeber seeing the SR71 Blackbird fly overhead on what was supposed to be it's last flight into Edwards AFB.

Out of everything you wrote, this is the only thing that matters. The Blackbird is a big deal. The Clash and US are nothing compred to her.

CIWS
03-27-06, 04:45 PM
Oh please, don'tcha know we filmed the "landing on the moon" in a studio here on earth? :bigroll:

JUST KIDDING! LOL Has anyone seen the new Redbull commercial about this? Where they are trying to land on the moon but they had a Redbull, and they say "Houston we have a problem, we had a Redbull!" (or something like that) and then Mission Control says "Ahhh it's OK, just come back to earth and we'll shoot it all from here"... It was funny...Ok I am done now :D

Yeah I've seen it, kinda funny they reference the filming thingy :D
I actually have a friend who is one of the ones that believe it was faked. He got into a discussion once with Buzz Aldrin (used to work on a talk radio program) about it and Buzz gave one of the best reasons why it couldn't have been faked. Kinda shut my friend down, but he still doesn't believe it ;)

wht2000
03-27-06, 09:01 PM
Jan 28, 1986...My daughters birth date plus thats the day Challenger exploded
April 1968..Lost my only brother at Khe Sanh
JFK assassination
MLK assassination
RFK assassination
first lunar landing

LittleB
03-27-06, 09:03 PM
Yeah I've seen it, kinda funny they reference the filming thingy :D
I actually have a friend who is one of the ones that believe it was faked. He got into a discussion once with Buzz Aldrin (used to work on a talk radio program) about it and Buzz gave one of the best reasons why it couldn't have been faked. Kinda shut my friend down, but he still doesn't believe it ;)

Wow interesting. What did he say to shut him down?

wht2000
03-27-06, 09:05 PM

4th grade, St. Aloysius Parochial School, Sister Mary Ethelberts class. We were sent home immediately after he died and there was no school the rest of the week.

CIWS
03-27-06, 09:34 PM
Wow interesting. What did he say to shut him down?

(You have to remember at the time the U.S. and Soviet Union were very involved in the Cold War and the Space Race.)
He said if the U.S. had not actually landed on the moon the Soviets would have been the first to publically cry Foul and show that we didn't actually fly to and land on the moon. The fact that they didn't proves it more than just about anything else could. :)

Elvis
03-28-06, 11:12 AM
I saw Buzz Aldrin speak a few years ago. Brilliant man. He doesn't get the credit he deserves.

There's a new IMAX about walking on the Moon. Tom Hanks produced it. I highly recommend it.

http://www.imax.com/magnificentdesolation/

FredMaxwell
03-29-06, 12:13 AM
I forgot to post on this one,

Memorable for me:

First time I made money
First time I was pleasured
The day I owned my first Cadillac
When my mother had a stroke
When I bought my first legal firearm
When I found out my woman had turned on me
When I won my first poker tournament
The night I had with Holly Rita

September 11th.. that was horrible and almost killed me,
I aint been the same since

All I could do was watch the media coverage and keep several
30rd mags of 7.62x39 with me
I cried and broke alot of things
The whole thing really ****ed with me

Grrrr

Jonas McFeely
03-29-06, 10:12 PM
I forgot to post on this one,

Memorable for me:

First time I made money
First time I was pleasured
The day I owned my first Cadillac
When my mother had a stroke
When I bought my first legal firearm
When I found out my woman had turned on me
When I won my first poker tournament
The night I had with Holly Rita

September 11th.. that was horrible and almost killed me,

All I could do was watch the media coverage and keep several
30rd mags of 7.62x39 with me
I cried and broke alot of things
The whole thing really ****ed with me

Grrrr

wtf?

bitteroldhag
04-02-06, 01:42 AM
Lord, you people are young. I remember a bunch of things:

1. The Kennedy Assassination -- I was in high school and was ashamed because it happened in Dallas and I lived in Texas.

2. The 1968 Chicago Democratic Convention where cops clubbed a lot of people and Dan Rather was jostled around. It was a mess. The Chicago Seven were arrested and tried.

3. Kent State where a bunch of students were shot down by the National Guard.

4. Bobby Kennedy's assassination.

5. Martin Luther King's assassination.

6. Landing on the moon. I was 22 and my Venezuelan friends were really stoked about it. I was bored because we'd watch every single rocket into space for years.

7. Haight Ashbury--I wasn't there, but it affected my life.

8. Viet Nam -- I wasn't there but my friends were. One is still missing in action and some were killed. Others were scarred for life. I remember when my friend Freddie got back and my boyfriend got him so drunk that he threw up on our kitchen table. He'd had green beans for dinner.

9. LBJ saying he wouldn't run again; Nixon's resignation.

10. Computers. I didn't have a computer until I was about 38.

11. Microwave ovens. I used to have to lay out frozen food all day to cook at that evening. Now I just nuke it.

12. TV -- We got our first TV when I was 6. My brother thought the TV people could see us so he wouldn't undress in front of the TV. We didn't get color TV until I was about 17 though it had been availble for about 5 years. The color was terrible.

13. The invasion of Panama and Grenada -- nothing like imperialism in action.

14. Feminism -- I was about 23 and someone pointed out that women weren't treated very well. It was a major consciousness raising experience. I was still afraid my boss was going to invite me to his boat.
All the girls knew about his boat.

15. May 1989 -- I got my Ph.D. I was the last person to graduate and got a big hand.

16. Challenger explosion -- I was in grad. school and really upset because a teacher had died in that explosion. But I'm still a big believer that space is the real final frontier.

17. Chernobyl -- A Russian reactor went critical and spread radiation all over the area and the Nordic states. A bunch of people are still suffering from that.

18. The Six Day War -- I was thrilled that Israel won that war. And I'd like to add the Raid on Entebbe where the Israelis rescued a bunch of hostages. Also the Israelis tried Adolph Eichmann in my lifetime. The SOB deserved it.

19. 1973 Oil Embargo -- Gas prices shot up as did prices for everything. We have never recovered.

20. 1950s--Nuclear Testing -- We couldn't eat snow because it might be irradiated from nuclear testing.

21. 9/11 -- We were watching the building fall on TV and my mother had a heart attack. That was the worst day of my life though she is still alive at 86. Unfortunately, others are not.

22. Woodstock

23. Jimi Hendrix at San Diego

24. March 2006 -- My first Cadillac. It's old but wonderful.

I've run out of stuff, but here's some firsts for my mother:

1. Indoor plumbing

2. Central heating

3. Air conditioning

4. Electricity-- My grandparents got electricity in the 40s.

5. Gas --They had a gasoline stove but it caught fire and they threw it in the yard.

6. The Model T

7. Radio shows--They had to crank the radio to get it to run without electricity.

8. WWII --My father was in the Air Force in New Guinea. My uncle was in the Navy at the Battle of Leyte Gulf. My aunt's brother was killed.

There are a lot more things. I have often thought it was amazing how things have changed in the last 100 years. Thanks for letting me reminisce.

EcSTSatic
04-02-06, 05:29 PM
Don't be so hard on yourself, you can't be old enough for all of these to have occurred in your lifetime! :) Not if you were in high school in '63. A Model T?

bitteroldhag
04-02-06, 10:30 PM
That was my mother not me. I'm not THAT old. She is though.

Jesda
04-03-06, 05:21 AM
BitterOldHag, I love your screen name. :D

EcSTSatic
04-03-06, 08:40 AM
That was my mother not me. I'm not THAT old. She is though.

My Mistake, I keyed off of your first sentence:

Lord, you people are young. I remember a bunch of things:

Elvis
04-03-06, 02:14 PM
It's nice when somebody older than me weighs in.'

Welcome hag!

gdwriter
04-03-06, 02:55 PM
BitterOldHag, I love your screen name. :D

Me, too. I laughed out loud when I saw it.