: 1995 sts,manifold cover

raf
01-12-04, 10:51 PM
how i take the intake manifold cover to sea the fuel pressure regulator my cover have 4 big bolt thanks you.......................

Anthony Cipriano
01-12-04, 11:09 PM
how i take the intake manifold cover to sea the fuel pressure regulator my cover have 4 big bolt thanks you.......................
On the 95, the top cover is just a noise shield and beauty cover. It's not a functional part of the intake manifold like the 93 and 94 engines. Just remove the 4 plastic acorn nuts and lift the cover off. You'll see the one piece plastic intake manifold underneath it with the fuel rail running around the perimeter of the manifold feeding the injectors. The fuel pressure regulator is at the end of the rail where the fuel return line leaves the rail. It's a canister shaped device on the rail with a vacuum line attached to it. With the engine idling, remove the vacuum line and watch the vacuum nipple on the FPR for any fuel leakage. There should be none.

On the 93 and 94 engines the silver top cover was an integral part of the intake and the fuel pressure regulator is underneath the cover, inside the intake manifold. Your 95 isn't like this. The 93 and 94 can be identified by the row of fasteners around the perimeter of the intake top cover. The 95 and later has just the 4 inner plastic nuts that hold the beauty cover on.

AKPsiMC03
01-13-04, 10:37 AM
I took the cover off my 95 and kept it off... i like how it looks better without it.
http://members.tccoa.com/jaybird/caddy/new/enginenear.jpg

Anthony Cipriano
01-13-04, 01:12 PM
I took the cover off my 95 and kept it off... i like how it looks better without it.
http://members.tccoa.com/jaybird/caddy/new/enginenear.jpg
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. "Better" to you maybe but the underhood beautification guys that agonized over the styling of that cover are having convulsions about now. :p

AKPsiMC03
01-13-04, 01:53 PM
im a car guy by nature... id rather see the motor than a cheap plastic cover.

Anthony Cipriano
01-15-04, 12:28 PM
So now you're looking at a "cheap" plastic intake manifold. Just kidding. To each his own. The plastic top cover is actually not "cheap" as it's fairly costly to manufacture due to the premium material (so it doesn't warp), the painting to match the cam covers and the nice emblem. :D In addition, there's some fairly tricky noise suppression foam on the underneath of the cover to deaden the sound of the injectors clicking. The plastic intake is pretty good at radiating high pitched noises (this is not a good thing) so the top cover functionally is a noise barrier for the injector clicking as well as other engine mechanical noise that is radiated through the plastic intake manifold from below.

decosse
01-17-04, 03:29 PM
I am pursuing a problem with high HC at idle for failed emissions test:
On the 94, it looks like there is no vacuum hose, but the nipple on the top of the FPR just sees manifold pressure?
I can't see any fuel leaking out but how else can I test it? I'm assuming if it has minimal leak, it would be hard to tell, especially if there is no vaccum on it?

Anthony Cipriano
01-18-04, 01:48 AM
I am pursuing a problem with high HC at idle for failed emissions test:
On the 94, it looks like there is no vacuum hose, but the nipple on the top of the FPR just sees manifold pressure?
I can't see any fuel leaking out but how else can I test it? I'm assuming if it has minimal leak, it would be hard to tell, especially if there is no vaccum on it?

Are you sure you had the fuel pressure up/fuel pump energized when you were looking at the nipple on the FPR to check for fuel/fuel leak? Disconnect the 12 volt power feed connector to the coil pack so the engine can't start and crank the engine with the cover off to make sure that there's fuel pressure - or get a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail so you know that there's fuel pressure to look for fuel leaking from the FPR.